Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rims/Tires Question

Tyus

I found some local rear rims/tires. They are 31 x 16.50 r 15 on 15x14 with 3 and 1/2" backspacing. Bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5 which i know is right. Will they fit? Or How do i figure out if they will fit? Thanks

That's the Ford bolt patern. What rear end are you using?

Ron

Diagram by Gary "BlownT" Percival...

RearendGuide2.jpg

Maybe ill grab my old s-10 rim because i know for sure s10s are 5x4.75 ..then i will know for sure

Lets see if I can explain this without getting too involved in high school geometry. When specifying bolt circle patterns for automotive wheels, we are talking about an imaginary circular line that has a diameter of X number of inches. The centers of the studs (or threaded hole) fall on that circular line. If we are trying to determine the diameter of a bolt circle for a 4 bolt circle wheel (or a 6 hole model) we can measure two opposite studs or holes as these are 180° apart and the centers fall on the imaginary circle. When dealing with 5 bolt patterns, that method doesn't work as no two studs are 180° apart. The closest that they come is 144°. That is the reason for the "B" dimension. By measuring the distance between those two points, we can predict what the "C" dimension will be from the chart. I probably should have made the "C" column the first one on the chart. The + and - mean just slightly more or less than the fractional distance.

I'm sure that this is about as clear as mud if you were guilty of reading hot rod books during geometry class. :rolleyes:

Tyus4,

The mrt-wheel chart is not measuring from the center of both studs. Take a look, one is from the outer edge of a stud, the other from the middle of a stud. It is only an aproximation anyway, since stud sizes vary, and not very accurate. Use GABs chart, it is correct.

Corley

Tyus4,

The mrt-wheel chart is not measuring from the center of both studs. Take a look, one is from the outer edge of a stud, the other from the middle of a stud. It is only an aproximation anyway, since stud sizes vary, and not very accurate. Use GABs chart, it is correct.

Corley

Good eye...I didn't even notice that. Thanks!!

So i finally grabbed and old s10 rim and it bolts on front and back so i know that its 5x4.75. From the outside of the drums in the rear, to my tail lights ( which is the first thing it would hit) i have about 5" so if i was get a 15x10 with 3.5" bs...would this work because tire bulge and the 3.5" is less than the 5'?? Or am i way off? Thanks again

I think you are in the ball park there, but of course it depends on the tires size and amount of side wall bulge.

So I picked up some new rear rims/tires from a local guy. Tires are 29x18.5x15. My question is..I put 12 pounds in them after doing a search on here. It seems like a lot of guys run that pressure. There is about a 1.5" on both outsidse of the tires thats not hitting. I would think it would need less air but a search on here, I saw more air? Which is it? Thanks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back