Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rod & Custom Magazine RIP

Jeez, I'm pretty sure they just sent me a renewal notice. Maybe I'm renewing for the digital version without knowing.

Josh: Where did this info come from ? Did they give this heads up to advertisers? I renewed recently as well and there is nothing that I can find on there website that says anything about this (in fact there have flashing ads for "subscribe today!").

If this is indeed true, this kind of sucks. To be honest, R&C had been going downhill the last few years and it was getting thin in real content. But it was cheap. Street Rodder has been getting better in content and the subscribe price got better. I subscribe to half a down other car mags, but these two at least deal more with hot rods and roadsters.

I was a subscriber the last time they quit and turned my sub into a Hot Rod mag. Piss me off then too. I guess now I understand how they can sell 2 years for $10.00!

They're still taking subscriptions on their website. I can't find anything on the R&C website about terminating print magazines. Until then, it's just rumor.

Go to the H.A.M.B. (hope Mike doesn't mind mentioning that site) and read thread on same subject. There are a couple of replys from the editor of R & C that says it's true. The staff reported to work and was told one morning it was closed.

It was announced today that the company will discontinue Rod & Custom magazine. I am very disappointed, but the decision was outside the scope of my control.
As a subscriber, you should have received your August 2014 issue already. You will still receive the next two issues of Rod & Custom, one that is at the printer and one that is being worked on now in our office.
The content on our website will continue to be there, but it is not our intention to convert print subscribers to an online magazine or “bail”. I haven’t had a chance to read the posts on the HAMB today, but I can’t imagine why you would assume a lawsuit would be necessary to get a refund on a magazine subscription. You will receive a letter from the subscriber services department about your subscription, and I will also forward this email to our customer service department.
I’m sure you know that this isn’t the first time Rod & Custom has been discontinued, and I am hoping there will be an opportunity to bring it back at some point. We’ll see, everything changes… It’s a competitive business and a tough economy. But thank you for your support of Rod & Custom; everyone on staff appreciates the readers and advertisers that have allowed us to make it this far.

I am and have been a subscriber for many years. I consider my sub money already paid for by the mags I have received. I don't expect a refund and if people that would go to the extent to sue for their money must work harder than me for it. John

I also subscribe to 5.0 mustangs and ff; looks like they got the axe as well. It has to be tough to be print media in a digital world. Heck it's probably tough to be digital in today's economy. Sad though; I've had a subscription to R&C since they came back. Now more folks out of work.

I agree with you, @cptn60, these are not good times for any kind of media. Over the last four or five decades, people have been shepherded into this gotta-have-it-now mentality. Why wait to save the money for a new toy, here is a credit card that will allow you to buy it now. And look, you can make this little payments, until it is paid off. Interest? Don't fret the interest, the payments are really low, plus you got your new toy today, rather than having to wait. Get it now, and play today.

Remember watching newsreels at the movie theaters? Those were all replaced by the nightly news, which has since been replaced by 24-hour news broadcasting.

I remember waiting months to watch N.H.R.A. National Event coverage of maybe two or three events a year, on Wide World of Sports. And it always took the print media 90 days to report on races. But National Dragster would have race results in your hands within two weeks. And now, all of that has been replaced by online reports. This afternoon, I was watching qualifying results from Englishtown, which were being broadcast on ESPN before results were available on Drag Race Central. I was an N.H.R.A. member for decades, but when I realized I was only reading stale news in National Dragster, I ditched the membership expense.

People have come to a point where they cannot wait for anything. If we take a really interesting story, then bottle it up for the amount of time required to publish a print magazine and get it sent to subscribers and news stands, our interesting story has become 60-day old hat. Never mind subscribing to magazines any longer, I'll just read it online.

But then, we come to the phenomena whereby everyone has the misconception that everything on the InterTubez is free. If something is on the Web, then there must be some kind of Primary Law of the Universe, which says it has to be free.

Our local newspaper doesn't even bother to try to veil it's extreme-left position, so I refuse to subscribe to the rag. If I need local news, I will find it online. Heck, I'll go read the same articles on the newspaper's Web site, if I am that desperate. But now, they have warnings that pop up on every page, telling me that I will have to subscribe to their online reports, as they will only be available to me for a limited time. Excuse me, don't I know how to block cookies from their site? But since I am in the same boat with them, in trying to get Web sites to at least earn their own keep, let alone actually earn a profit :roflmao: , I have just stopped visiting their site, entirely. Not really fair for me to burn up their resources, without kicking in a few dollars each month, is it? But that brings me full-circle, refusing to pay for their publication. Rather than pay them a dime, I will simply go elsewhere to get the news.

About the only course of action left is for a Web site to display contextual ads, in an effort to earn some additional revenue. But then, people start griping about seeing ads and running ad blockers in their Web browsers.

The print media cannot afford the cost of materials to produce stale news. Paper, ink, postage, etc. So they exchange those expenses for things like processors speeds, memory allocations and bandwidth. But when people refuse to offset even those costs, then suddenly the company is running in the red. And yes, that is when more folks end up out of work. But the average John Doe doesn't give a rat's rectum, because he wants everything, he wants it right now, and be damned if he will pay a thin dime for any of it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back