Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Salvage Yard donors?

LarrySmith

Banned
OK, I conclude that if a guy was curious about getting started in this realm, there's no single donor car that has everything necessary.
The closest I can figure is the last of the first-generation Rangers with a 4.0L and the narrow 8.8" 28-spline rear, but the 5 speed isn't sporty and the automatics are bad, or a round-body S-10 with the 4.3L and the 4L60E, but the rear axle is the failure-prone 7.625". Moser offers 31-spline shafts for this uncommon 8.8
Would the Ranger's TTB front end be adaptable? I know the S-10 IFS is worlds cheaper than Mustang II stuff at this point, and thanks to the dirt track guys, affordable tubular arms are readily available, plus with Caprice spindles 1LE '91 Camaro 12" rotors are easy and still fit in 12" steel wheels.
Maybe a 2-donor plan? gank the 3.8L V6 and 4R70W or T5 out of a late '90s Mustang, with the Ranger 8.8? Or the Explorer offered the 302W with the 4R70W, but 2WD versions are rare at best. That trans behind a 351W should shred a pair of 33x21.5 Mickey Ts from a stop, and cheaper than a high-stall converter with the 302, with better driveability to boot.
The new Hemis aren't in the You-Pull-It yards yet, or that would bring some flavor. I know a guy who just dished $ 1900 for a long-block first-year 5.7L version with 260K miles and no guarantee or exchange policy. Crazy! No transmission, no induction, no accessories, no wiring, it needs a full rebuild kit, a Mopar/Edelbrock intake, some sort of ignition, maybe oil pan alterations depending on what he wants to swap it into. He has a '76 Duster with a decent-running Magnum 5.2L (318) so probably not that, unless it lost a race?
Anyway, what's in the yards that offers most of the non-drivetrain stuff?

Forget any modern OEM IFS setups.
You must remember that a T is a lightweight looking vehicle and its hard to make even a custom IFS that has the right lightweight look a T needs styling wise.
There are many ways to get the look you need but the easiest is to use an aftermarket tube axle with the correct brakes and be done with it.
Consider the donor vehicles you can use, after you accept you don't want the front suspension, and the list is quite a bit larger. :)

I'm a old school, poor boy, bone yard hot rodder, lol, but it would be a real trick to try to build a decent looking t bucket out of all modern bone yard parts, imho. Could it be done? That depends on the level of skill and work that one has to invest and the desired outcome. I think that if one values their time, it's better to buy certain pieces, like the front suspension parts, procure the desired bone yard parts that suit the tastes of the builder, and construct/fabricate what he is best suited to. Again, just an opinion... it would be difficult to adapt a truck front suspension and make it look like it belongs. Another thing when selecting parts is the bucket will weigh much less than the donor, so strength would really only factor into the build relating to horsepower and driving habits. It seems to me that if one donor was able to offer the most pieces, perhaps a s10... the rearend is a decent choice, likely a decent transmission, brake parts, steering column maybe, and perhaps an engine if a six banger suits you. I'm sure I'm overlooking other options.

I gotta agree with you, fletcherson, about the weight. The Mazda MX5 Miata would be a good donor for small, light parts, except the demand is high and the supply in salvage yards, or even used for under $5k, is bad.
To me the appeal is less about any certain look, and more about the DIY. Maybe blatant deviation from tradition is unpopular, but who would I be trying to please? I think most car guys who aren't T-Bucket guys would appreciate seeing something different. Sure, the ricer boys would hate, but everyone else could appreciate the effort, if the results are clean and quality. I spent an hour yesterday looking at Ts that didn't retain the bucket, but instead had a variety of fine wood utility bodies. Then I discovered vintage C.A.E. Sprint cars, and that's kickin' my chicken, so I probably can't stay here, but I appreciate the good you guys have here.

The good salvage car donors for T BUCKETS are mostly gone. That would be most American cars, with a V8 built before 1995 or around there. Even then, all you'd probably be able to use is the engine, trans and rear end. Maybe only one or two of those. The CONVENTIONAL T Bucket is a simple car. They don't need IFS or IRS or all wheel disc and a whole slew of other things some guys want to fit on them. That's just NOT what they're about. In most cases, T Buckets with modern suspension pieces look like crap, IMO. It's hard to get it right.

Of course, there are guys with the skills to pull off some of the "out of the box" modifications that pop up. Some are really good. Those guys have the skill to take something complicated and fit it into a T Bucket build. There's nothing wrong with that. Hey, if you can do it.... go for it.

Lately, on this board, we've had a few guys pop in, who seem to have just discovered T Buckets. Cool. But then they talk about how they want a T Bucket that can corner like a Corvette or run a damn road racing course and they get pissed or upset that there seems to be a lack of interest or ideas here. I think the reason is because T Buckets are as basic as you can get, when it comes to Hot Rods. All they are REALLY meant to do, is TRY to go in a straight line, as fast as possible. IMO, when I read someone asking about MPG's and aerodynamics, when discussing a Hot Rod, I picture someone who doesn't "get it".

I would say to the new person, take a look at what these cars are about and bounce that with what you're wanting a DIY car to do. Maybe a T Bucket isn't going to allow you to do what you want. If that's the case, maybe find something else that will. But if you think you have the skills to adapt some of that modern stuff into a T Bucket, then just go for it. Most here would like to see it. Help may be very limited, but interest won't.

Reactions: RPM
Lately, on this board, we've had a few guys pop in, who seem to have just discovered T Buckets. Cool. But then they talk about how they want a T Bucket that can corner like a Corvette or run a damn road racing course and they get pissed or upset that there seems to be a lack of interest or ideas here. I think the reason is because T Buckets are as basic as you can get, when it comes to Hot Rods. All they are REALLY meant to do, is TRY to go in a straight line, as fast as possible. IMO, when I read someone asking about MPG's and aerodynamics, when discussing a Hot Rod, I picture someone who doesn't "get it".
I would have to humbly disagree, getting the best gas mileage you can, with what you got should never be a negative.

Wouldn't the restorers on Model T Club of America say you guys just don't get it?
It is what you make it. Just because you use a Chevy V8 instead of a flathead Ford 4-cylinder doesn't mean you don't get it. It does mean you choose to make it a hot rod rather than a restoration.
Ok, rodded Ts started out being about speed / acceleration in a straight line, that challenge was mastered by 1970. Wgich is when cornering / canyon carving started becoming a thing. It still retained acceleration, but added more dimensions, adding to the fun. Drag cars can't turn, but handling cars can accelerate.
That adds to the enjoyment, it doesn't take anything away. So how can you bash it? Why do you?
and since we all have budgets, and we all build cars to enjoy driving them, can't you enjoy driving more if the same gas money gives lets you drive 1/3 more miles?
I'm a near-professional custom car builder looking for a new challenge. But more than that, I'm looking for a group of nice guys. I'm a high-functioning Autistic. I'm damn good with my hands, as good as any car builder on the planet. But I don't have, and don't want, social skills. That means that despite my genius-level IQ, way above 140, I'm also a retard. So what?
As such, I can't tolerate unkindness / dispect / rudeness / being told I'm wrong when I'm not. I go to any length to be right. I'll research for years, and invest thousands of dollars, to be right.
I'm also a few months from being able to access my trust fund. It's worth many millions of dollars. But right now, I'm still poor.
I'm David Lee. and I'm out. Bye.

OK . . . but to Fred's point, none of us builds a T-bucket with good gas mileage as a goal. It's a nice benefit if it happens, and if you're a long-haul T-bucketeer it might really come in handy. But if gas mileage were really your goal, you'd opt for a four-banger instead of a V-8 in your car!

(PS - re: above post . . . I thought your name was Larry Smith, not David Lee o_O:cautious::unsure: . . . QED!)

Last edited:
access my trust fund. It's worth many millions of dollars.

That's not what I need to read from someone who wants to build a Bucket. I would suggest, you wait and employ someone who can build whatever your imagination demands.

I for one will build a {my} T the way most on this site appreciate, for skill, innovation and continuity to the breed.

If you want to redefine the T Bucket, may I suggest you go right ahead and do it. If it has the engineering quality, innovation and 'soul' of a T Bucket, I will be the first person to congratulate you on a job well done. Meanwhile as you say "as good as any car builder on the planet" perhaps you can astound us all.

Unfortunately social skill have to be learnt to get the most out of the people you are asking for comments and help/advice. I can be the most objectionable person around if I want, but when seeking advice, acceptance or the WISDOM of people around that have been in this area for DECADES I tend to listen......

Gerry

Last edited:
Wouldn't the restorers on Model T Club of America say you guys just don't get it?
It is what you make it. Just because you use a Chevy V8 instead of a flathead Ford 4-cylinder doesn't mean you don't get it. It does mean you choose to make it a hot rod rather than a restoration.
Ok, rodded Ts started out being about speed / acceleration in a straight line, that challenge was mastered by 1970. Wgich is when cornering / canyon carving started becoming a thing. It still retained acceleration, but added more dimensions, adding to the fun. Drag cars can't turn, but handling cars can accelerate.
That adds to the enjoyment, it doesn't take anything away. So how can you bash it? Why do you?
and since we all have budgets, and we all build cars to enjoy driving them, can't you enjoy driving more if the same gas money gives lets you drive 1/3 more miles?
I'm a near-professional custom car builder looking for a new challenge. But more than that, I'm looking for a group of nice guys. I'm a high-functioning Autistic. I'm damn good with my hands, as good as any car builder on the planet. But I don't have, and don't want, social skills. That means that despite my genius-level IQ, way above 140, I'm also a retard. So what?
As such, I can't tolerate unkindness / dispect / rudeness / being told I'm wrong when I'm not. I go to any length to be right. I'll research for years, and invest thousands of dollars, to be right.
I'm also a few months from being able to access my trust fund. It's worth many millions of dollars. But right now, I'm still poor.
I'm David Lee. and I'm out. Bye.

Ya know, I tried really hard to not "bash" anyone or anything and I succeeded. If that's what you got from my OPINION, I think you misread it. I didn't say you or any one else was wrong. Where are you getting that from? Hell, I didn't quote you. If you disagree with what I wrote, that's okay. It wasn't a blanket statement about ALL builders, fabricators or drivers. Here's a surprise:rolleyes:, a successful DISCUSSION is pointless if everyone agrees on the subject matter.

Last edited:
OK . . . but to Fred's point, none of us builds a T-bucket with good gas mileage as a goal. It's a nice benefit if it happens, and if you're a long-haul T-bucketeer it might really come in handy. But if gas mileage were really your goal, you'd opt for a four-banger instead of a V-8 in your car!

(PS - re: above post . . . I thought your name was Larry Smith, not David Lee o_O:cautious::unsure: . . . QED!)

Opps. LMFAO IN MY OPINION, maybe some of that genius could be spent on a better alter ego. Just sayin'.;) Gees....

I would have to humbly disagree, getting the best gas mileage you can, with what you got should never be a negative.

I don't consider it a negative, it's just not at the top of MY list of priorities. If it happens as a side note, all the better. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

I think Larry, err David ought to head over to a Cobra site... small light weight FG body, IFS, Big engine, disc brakes all around, Stop trying to ruin an apple pie by switching ingredients and still try to call it an apple pie, now I'm hungry!

Why can't we all appreciate our differences? I thought that was premise for this website!

I can and do appreciate the differences in our cars but when you start to color out side the lines when does it switch to a different category of vehicle ? You don't bring your fiberglass bodied ,V8 powered "Model T" to a restored model t show do you?

Anyone can build whatever flips their switch. If I like it that's great for me. However, if I don't particularly like it all, I can say is..."ain't none of my money in it!" And let it go at that.

Jim

i wish i had a million dollar trust fund :( lol i have been around many autistic people that are family and friends and sorry to say it that guy was just plain rude im all about building whatever a person wants but asking for advice and not having a open mind for constructive conversation is just wrong by the way those old bugs bunny cartoons are the best my favorite one is sarah hare:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back