Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Sanderson Headers SBF

Understandable Jay, look for a old used big beast....I have a old Hobart welder that I used where I was employed about 25 years ago....It has the bells and whistles for adding anything to it....its about 3'x3'x3', and probably weighs about 1000 lbs....but its a welding beast! The place wanted a newer machine, so they were selling it, practically giving it away!
I paid about $150 for it....its even single phase! Came with the old MIG setup, the lines for TIG torch, 50 ft of 001 cable. It was new back in the 60's, has a 100% duty cycle, hasn't ever been taxed or labored really hard. Its old and made to last, has 15 bagillion switches and knobs on it, and is fracking ugly, but welds like a dream.... not like todays crap....
Keep your eyes open for places closing or retooling, especially older places, they have alot of old machinery that can be had on the cheap. My english wheel came from a old aircraft place, has all the rollers and wheels. Paid $50 for it about 10 years ago....scrap prices....didn't look pretty enough for them.
Anyway, the old stuff is built to last a lifetime, where the newer stuff is only made to last a X amount of time....

On headers or this stuff....you can weld it good with experience....if you MIG it, pulse it. Its best to TIG it though unless you can't get your cup in there. When I had to weld headers like that, I usually weld up the cracks, then cut out a round slug either a 1/4 or 3/16s, trim it down so it'll just fit between the pipes and tack it in good. This helps support the tubes, anneals it if theres any stress in it, making the tubes relax....and acts as a brace.

I always worry at car shows some kid is going to step on my headers , so far it hasn't happened. I don't sit by my car all night long. I was thinking I would add a brace this spring . Maybe a bad idea. They have been on there for years, still look good .??????

Jay, if I were you, I'd just smooth those welds up alittle, slap on some heat resistant paint, and wrap it up from the header flanges, down to were the 4 tubes go horizonal or whatever looks good for you. It does look from the crack that it was stressed and the others had stress in other directions....looks like bad tubing....there are such things in mfg....just ask Ron. I've seen seamed tubing pope along the seam, and it gets ugly. Thats why if your building something critical, you can put the seams facing each other and weld it up to help strengthen it.
You can get wrapping in all colors to match the motor colors or whatever looks good for you.
Theres a spray that you coat the wrapping with afterwards that pretty well seals things and makes it last a long time....look around and read, you'll see what I'm talking about....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back