Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

SBC motor mounts?

trogdor

I'm starting to plan for mounting the SBC to the frame (it is getting exciting! I'm hoping to have some pictures soon). I went to the auto parts store and found these:

1713794532526.png

Has anyone fabricated a bracket for the frame that works well with these? If so, I'd appreciate some ideas on what that looks like. Or, is there a different style that works better?

I have used those. There are a lot of options out there so it’s just a matter of taste.

Thanks. Is the rubber part in these sufficient for dampening vibration? Or is there supposed to be some dampening on the frame bracket too (like the clamshell mounts)?

I'm using those and they work just fine. My frame brackets have no damping feature - basically just a piece of tubing welded to a section of rectangular tube which is welded to the frame. A bolt passes through the "ears" on the motor mount and through the tube on the frame.

Attachments

• Motor mount1.jpg
    Motor mount1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • motor mount2.jpg
    motor mount2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Motor mount3.jpg
    Motor mount3.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 12
RPM has some, Speedway also. It just depends on what works best for your application. I’ve built and or adapted many motor mounts over time on various builds or swaps. I like to use a torpedo level on the carb base with the frame set at ride height to situate the engine, then whatever it takes to connect the engine to the frame. also watch the driveshaft to differential geometry.

Thanks. Is the rubber part in these sufficient for dampening vibration? Or is there supposed to be some dampening on the frame bracket too (like the clamshell mounts)?
there a lot of mounts out there --I like these from speedway, are very clean look and easy to install, can't come apart like stock rubber mounts

Attachments

• P4300017.jpg
    P4300017.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 072216-00A.jpg
    072216-00A.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 9
You don’t need rubber but yes, the stock ones with rubber are sufficient for dampening vibrations s, that’s all they use on cars, well, the transmission mount is rubber too.

A fixed trans mount with a flex engine mount can get you into trouble.

I'm a little late, but another option is an engine mount crossmember. If your frame is a traditional t bucket frame, built per plans, then you just follow the plans and can use the setup provided. But if your frame is custom, the regular t bucket mounts might require modification. My Bantam frame is a modified t bucket frame, wider the normal for the Bantam body and big block Buick. Since there were not any mounts for a Buick, I bought a crossmember style engine mount, like the first photo below, and modified it to fit the Buick motor mounts. Once fitted to my block, with stock rubber engine mounts, I set the frame on stands, leveling it side to side. I lowered the engine with the crossmember into place. I measured and marked both the frame and crossmember ends for alignment. This type of the crossmember used sleeved mounts. They slid onto the crossmember tubing. I cut off the mounting plates on the sleeves, then welded the sleeves to the rails once the top of the intake was level side to side. I did not weld the sleeves to the crossmember until after mounting the transmission and trans crossmember to the block. This allowed me to adjust the rearward tilt to the correct angle for the driveshaft and carb placement. Of course, the Bantam has a reversed rake, while most all t buckets have a conventional forward rake. The crossmember type mount helps stiffen the frame some. These types of frames are not as structurally ridges as say a properly designed space frame or monocoque chassis. The other photo is my frame after painting.

Attachments

• Crossmember.png
    Crossmember.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Painted Frame.png
    Painted Frame.png
    605 KB · Views: 5

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back