Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Seahawks or Patriots?

With all the row about under-inflated balls, I had almost forgotten the about the Super Bowl.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but I've never been much of a Patties fan, so I reckon I am pulling for the 'hawks. I think this one has the potential to be a pretty good football game, if everyone can get themselves past Deflategate.

Best thing about the Super Bowl? NASCAR starts just a few weeks afterwards!!!!
Ahhh, yes, the France family's equivalent of championship wrestling. Do we reckon Brian France has already determined the winner at Daytona, or hasn't he thrown that dart at the board yet?
Even better is NHRA drag racing. We have Force with a new Camaro.
Well, OK, so it is really a new Mustang with some new vinyl graphics. And I really love how the BOSS 500 Ford <cough> engine will now be sporting bowtie logos. Silly me, I thought all of those motors were based on the Chrysler Hemi.

It's funny how those racing series all used to hold such magic and mystique, but after seeing what happens behind the curtains, they lose all of their appeal. I look at the nostalgia series and wonder how nervous the the suits in Glendora and Daytona Beach must be. I wish they would let the nostalgia fuelers run a real tire, just to see what those guys could really run.

Do any of those bodies any way shape or form resemble the actual production car its base on? Nope. I think all the fuss about Force's Camaro bodies is just a bunch of crap. None of the competitors really care. They actually did modify the body some - not much, but some. Force spent a lot of money and R&D developing that body, so its only fair that he should be able to run it if its legal - which it is. Trust me, I don't play too many favorites anymore as all these teams are customers. At this point in NHRA, they need as many of these Pro teams as possible to be competing.

@Mike : you are right: I'm sure NHRA is scared of the Nostalgia stuff like they were of the Pro-Mod back in the day.

I haven't been to one of the IHRA Nitro Jam events yet, but from what I've heard, NHRA could learn a few things.

Ahhh, yes, the France family's equivalent of championship wrestling. Do we reckon Brian France has already determined the winner at Daytona, or hasn't he thrown that dart at the board yet?

Well, OK, so it is really a new Mustang with some new vinyl graphics. And I really love how the BOSS 500 Ford <cough> engine will now be sporting bowtie logos. Silly me, I thought all of those motors were based on the Chrysler Hemi.

It's funny how those racing series all used to hold such magic and mystique, but after seeing what happens behind the curtains, they lose all of their appeal. I look at the nostalgia series and wonder how nervous the the suits in Glendora and Daytona Beach must be. I wish they would let the nostalgia fuelers run a real tire, just to see what those guys could really run.
It's hard to be a fan of any "professional sport" due to all of the politics and money grubbing. In my opinion, they have fixed and ruined all of them as a result of marketing, city economic bolstering, and mainly greed.

I intend to extend my streak to 31 consecutive years....of NOT watching the Super Bowl...and not regretting it a bit.

It's hard to be a fan of any "professional sport" due to all of the politics and money grubbing. In my opinion, they have fixed and ruined all of them as a result of marketing, city economic bolstering, and mainly greed.

AMEN!!! And that is why I quit going to or supporting anything PROFESSIONAL. I also don't do FREE advertising for anyone or thing by buying their merchandise with logos and brand names on them. With ONE EXCEPTION-----THIS Forum that I bought the last t-shirts that were made from a few years back.

To me, any person who gets paid millions of dollars to play a game that could potentially mame/harm/paralyze/kill them and expect sympathy from me, can go to hell. Everyone I know has health/life insurance to cover such injuries. Common sense should prevail before you die. I/We as kids in High School played football and other sports, with extra insurance, that was mandatory to pay for, and suffered from those injuries for a life time. It took me 35 years to get a knee replacement because of my age. [They] the Dr.s said the replacement would only last 10 to 15 years. But the pain was there until it was replaced.

The last NASCAR race held in Rockingham,N.C. was the last straw for me. Sitting close to the fence, enjoying the race, and people slinging beer and chicken wings/bones towards me/fence for something I didn't do on the track. My brother kept me from killing a bunch of drunks that day.

Off box now and don't really give a damn about someone else making a million bucks to piss and moan about being deceived by the League later. If only I could make the side bet money for throwing games/points--I would be a millionaire!!

Okay, I can see that this did not go as I thought it would...
Was just looking for some friendly banter about who should win during this time that some of us can't get our cars out to play with. I will stick to car related stuff in the future.
-Glenn

Was just looking for some friendly banter about who should win during this time that some of us can't get our cars out to play with. I will stick to car related stuff in the future.
-Glenn
Sorry Glenn, if I rained on your parade, I really didn't intend to. My opinions are hard to keep on a leash sometimes. I do watch football and nascar, usually in the garage while tinkering on something. I just lost the love for them for obvious reasons. All of my favorite players, drivers keep changing jerseys, etc, it's hard to route for a team you hated last year, but your favorite guy is now on their team... I really don't have a pick in Sunday's game, but if Brady is on and protected, I think it will be a long day for the competition, but they are good too when they are on. It should be a entertaining game if we can get past all the ads and celebrity bs...

I'll be glass'n.

I've never been able to get into it since being a kid.

The players and teams from the '70s will always be stuck in my head.

My neighborhood was full of Bronco players.

I don't have a dog in this hunt and should have kept my mouth shut. Open mouth, insert foot, swallow knee. I apologize.

Not to worry, there are just a lot of diverse members with a lot of diverse opinions. You didn't do anything wrong.

Actually, I am taking Sunday night off, to be able to watch the game. Not because I will necessarily be rooting for the Seahawks, but because it looks like it has the chance to be a good game. (Along with the fact we are meant to get up to 5" of snow on Sunday, and I am not in the mood to ride a snow shovel all night, that night. :laugh:) I am hoping the talking heads won't ruin it with all the Deflategate chatter.

Ben, yeah, I see where Force did spend a lot of money, in a very short period of time, to get approval for his alleged Camaro bodies. No question, by hook or by crook, the bodies have been deemed legal. But take the vinyl off one of his 'Camaros' and do the same to one of last year's 'Mustangs', and they are more similar than they are different. And it's not just confined to the funny cars, look at the Pro Stockers.

It would take a lot of testicular fortitude to pull it off, but I would really like to see a return to seeing race cars that look like... You know, cars. Sure, something like today's Charger funny car body can produce tons more downforce than something like Pulde and Hamby's old Somerset, but that old Buick was one of the sharpest funny cars ever. And let's face it, 1,000 foot racing sucks. The crew chiefs have learned to blow their stuff up at 800 feet, same as they used to bomb stuff at 1,100 feet. There are a lot of tracks that are really marginal, even at 1,000 feet, so why not go back to a smaller blower, a single mag, and a single fuel pump? Let them bump the nitro percentage back up and the added noise will help make up for the drops in performance. Bring the speeds back down and run the cars 1,320 feet again. I think the fans would learn to adapt to it, in a shorter time than Glendora might imagine.

Where we are, today, it's become a situation of the biggest wallet winning on Sunday. Yeah, there has always been some of that, but guys like Glidden, W.J., and Garlits were the cream of the crop before they started racing wallets.

People applaud racers like Bernstein and Force for bringing in sponsors like Budweiser and Castrol, but look at it from a slightly different angle and those huge corporate sponsorships are part of what is killing the sport. Smaller companies realize they cannot afford those kinds of advertising programs, so they back away. What good does that do? Then the clowns started filling the voids. Evan Knoll was the greatest thing since sliced bread, at least until he went to prison for tax fraud. Al Anabi kept a lot of teams racing at the front of the pack, but it would seem Sheik Khalid saw that was not providing a good ROI, so that money is now gone. Why can't these racers see that if something looks too good to be true, it is? Instead, they just look for another teat to feed from. And if that isn't bad enough, look at the absolute trainwreck that NHRA created, by trying to manipulate the McDonald's money, a couple decades ago. A team from Louisiana was ready to stage a heckuva comeback, until NHRA got involved.

I really wonder what the Pro Stock fields are going to be like, this year. A lot of teams are quietly slipping away, and it's not like they were overwhelmed with entries, last year. And I can't blame people for giving up, because it's actually pretty easy to make one of those cars fast in the front half. It's the last 200 feet that separates the men from the wannabes. What's an engine lease program, these days, around $50K a race? A top half Pro Stock team will spend around $50K for valve springs, this season. $18K shock absorbers? Puhleeze!

I look at Tim Wilkerson, who can really look mighty smart on race day, and I wonder how much Levi, Ray, and Shoup must be worth. Whew! I give mad props to Wilk, but at the current rate, how much longer can he manage to keep up?

Looking back at some of the Comp Eliminator fields from last year, I wonder how much longer NHRA will keep trying to run the category. When Comp Eliminator guys are opting to run A/Fuel Dragsters, because it is a cheaper program, something is way off-kilter.

Stuff is getting worse, rather than better. Remember when Indy was a 32-car Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock field? Now they are struggling to get 18 cars to show up for each category. But nothing is being done to try to turn the ship around. And what is really troubling is that no one is asking why.

But the stupid money isn't all riding on race cars. What do you suppose 60 seconds of air time will run during the half-time show, Sunday night?

It's ridiculous.

Not to worry, there are just a lot of diverse members with a lot of diverse opinions. You didn't do anything wrong.

Actually, I am taking Sunday night off, to be able to watch the game. Not because I will necessarily be rooting for the Seahawks, but because it looks like it has the chance to be a good game. (Along with the fact we are meant to get up to 5" of snow on Sunday, and I am not in the mood to ride a snow shovel all night, that night. :laugh:) I am hoping the talking heads won't ruin it with all the Deflategate chatter.

Ben, yeah, I see where Force did spend a lot of money, in a very short period of time, to get approval for his alleged Camaro bodies. No question, by hook or by crook, the bodies have been deemed legal. But take the vinyl off one of his 'Camaros' and do the same to one of last year's 'Mustangs', and they are more similar than they are different. And it's not just confined to the funny cars, look at the Pro Stockers.

It would take a lot of testicular fortitude to pull it off, but I would really like to see a return to seeing race cars that look like... You know, cars. Sure, something like today's Charger funny car body can produce tons more downforce than something like Pulde and Hamby's old Somerset, but that old Buick was one of the sharpest funny cars ever. And let's face it, 1,000 foot racing sucks. The crew chiefs have learned to blow their stuff up at 800 feet, same as they used to bomb stuff at 1,100 feet. There are a lot of tracks that are really marginal, even at 1,000 feet, so why not go back to a smaller blower, a single mag, and a single fuel pump? Let them bump the nitro percentage back up and the added noise will help make up for the drops in performance. Bring the speeds back down and run the cars 1,320 feet again. I think the fans would learn to adapt to it, in a shorter time than Glendora might imagine.

Where we are, today, it's become a situation of the biggest wallet winning on Sunday. Yeah, there has always been some of that, but guys like Glidden, W.J., and Garlits were the cream of the crop before they started racing wallets.

People applaud racers like Bernstein and Force for bringing in sponsors like Budweiser and Castrol, but look at it from a slightly different angle and those huge corporate sponsorships are part of what is killing the sport. Smaller companies realize they cannot afford those kinds of advertising programs, so they back away. What good does that do? Then the clowns started filling the voids. Evan Knoll was the greatest thing since sliced bread, at least until he went to prison for tax fraud. Al Anabi kept a lot of teams racing at the front of the pack, but it would seem Sheik Khalid saw that was not providing a good ROI, so that money is now gone. Why can't these racers see that if something looks too good to be true, it is? Instead, they just look for another teat to feed from. And if that isn't bad enough, look at the absolute trainwreck that NHRA created, by trying to manipulate the McDonald's money, a couple decades ago. A team from Louisiana was ready to stage a heckuva comeback, until NHRA got involved.

I really wonder what the Pro Stock fields are going to be like, this year. A lot of teams are quietly slipping away, and it's not like they were overwhelmed with entries, last year. And I can't blame people for giving up, because it's actually pretty easy to make one of those cars fast in the front half. It's the last 200 feet that separates the men from the wannabes. What's an engine lease program, these days, around $50K a race? A top half Pro Stock team will spend around $50K for valve springs, this season. $18K shock absorbers? Puhleeze!

I look at Tim Wilkerson, who can really look mighty smart on race day, and I wonder how much Levi, Ray, and Shoup must be worth. Whew! I give mad props to Wilk, but at the current rate, how much longer can he manage to keep up?

Looking back at some of the Comp Eliminator fields from last year, I wonder how much longer NHRA will keep trying to run the category. When Comp Eliminator guys are opting to run A/Fuel Dragsters, because it is a cheaper program, something is way off-kilter.

Stuff is getting worse, rather than better. Remember when Indy was a 32-car Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock field? Now they are struggling to get 18 cars to show up for each category. But nothing is being done to try to turn the ship around. And what is really troubling is that no one is asking why.

But the stupid money isn't all riding on race cars. What do you suppose 60 seconds of air time will run during the half-time show, Sunday night?

It's ridiculous.
That is my point. The sport has been turned into a side show to support the "supporters".

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back