Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Seat belts

I don't know how, but I will be putting at the least lap belts in mine. And if I can figure a way, and can afford it, I'd like to do some kind of roll bar.
Check with your insurance company before you put a roll bar in. Roll bars are for race cars and insurance companies don't like race cars. They are not all the same, just check before you do it. I'd hate to see you have a problem with coverage after the fact.

I have them and installed them as Ron suggested, sandwiching the mounts between tabs on the frame and the floor. I think we can all agree that there is virtually no protection offered by a fiberglass (or even a metal) T body and driving a T-Bucket is a lot more dangerous than a modern enclosed car, but I would rather take my chances by staying in rather than being thrown free. I have never been thrown out of a car but have hit the pavement a few times in bike accidents and it wasn't much fun. I only personally know of one case where a person was thrown out of a T-Bucket due to an accident and that person survived but with serious injuries. People have made the case that they would rather be thrown free rather than stay in the vehicle since seat belts began to be used and now required. I don't think they are required (at least in Alabama) for vehicles that were manufactured before they were standard equipment. I guess it boils down to a matter of personal choice, like voluntary use of crash helmets for motorcycle riders in states where they aren't required

Check with your insurance company before you put a roll bar in. Roll bars are for race cars and insurance companies don't like race cars. They are not all the same, just check before you do it. I'd hate to see you have a problem with coverage after the fact.

Hmmm...good point. I'll have my wife check into it....she used to sell specialty insurance.

Rons right, some might look at it as a race car thing. I have ALOT of insurance for vehicles so when my agent saw this new car I'm building, he asked me about it. I told him I did it as a safety precaution....its low, just barely higher then the headrests on my seats. I have lap belts also.
I was once in a Mustang that flipped at a track....I won't ride in a open car unless theres something to protect me in a rollover.
When your driving your T alot of folks are looking and not paying attention to their driving, protection is a good thing. Especially with folks looking at you, driving, texting and talking on a cell all at the same time....

Rons right, some might look at it as a race car thing. I have ALOT of insurance for vehicles so when my agent saw this new car I'm building, he asked me about it. I told him I did it as a safety precaution....its low, just barely higher then the headrests on my seats. I have lap belts also.
I was once in a Mustang that flipped at a track....I won't ride in a open car unless theres something to protect me in a rollover.
When your driving your T alot of folks are looking and not paying attention to their driving, protection is a good thing. Especially with folks looking at you, driving, texting and talking on a cell all at the same time....

I hear ya. My distant past racing experience (SCCA G & H production classes in an open AH Sprite) is what is driving my interest in a roll bar.

Wife said she never wrote a policy where a roll bar was an issue, but she did not do a lot of auto policies. She said she will research a bit when she's feeling up to it.

Yes they did, but they were these big bulky retractable things on the side of the seat. Not going to fit in interior of bucket, so they had to go.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back