Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

seat update...

Track-T

I know that most buckets use plywood for the seat base, I've never
been that comfortable with that(pun intended)..
So I took my seat base and cut some butt holes in it and made some tapered side pieces and a seat bottom to them.
the base will be padded with 2" foam and the seat area will be done
in 3 1/2" foam.
That should give a wee bit more padding in the fanny area.
100_0179.jpg

100_0181.jpg

100_0185.jpg

Have you given any thought to using a regular car seat with springs? I have seat out of a Dodge mini van in my tub. We drove it 160 miles the other day at the BASH. We were not uncomfortable at all. A lot of the others were complaing about the comfort.

YUP, I second that opinion....Go with seat springs, I have read too many posts from guys saying thats the BEST ride, especially on a long drive......
You have a great base there, take some measurements, make up a cardboard template and order the spring seat made and have it upholstered, your back and butt will thank you !
Here are some addresses if you need em..."BH"

Car-Line Mfg.
Beaumont, Texas
409-833-9757

Snyder's Antique Auto Parts
New Springfield, Ohio
330-549-5313

I cut a square hole where my butt and my passengers butt sits on the plywood, and put some webbing crisscrossed across the opening. Then I had foam put on top. It is ok for short periods of time ,but a few hours in the saddle and you have to stop to take a break.

Don

tried the spring thing before I went with the plywood, In my car I ended
up way too high.sorta sat on the car instead of in it.
I have to watch the height thing because there will be a top on it
when I'm done.

I used solid plywood for my seat bottom but I also used 4" of foam and button tucked it. nice and soft. DPI.

The link in post #6 is from an article in the Feb., '07 Rod& Custom. If you print it out, you should get a full page copy.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back