Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

See if you find the issues

ruggs

cid__media5.jpg

cid__media4.jpg

cid__media2.jpg

cid__media3.jpg

It's got a Ford motor. HEH HEH Dwight

looks like the frame is belpw the scrub line, the brake hose will be good for 1 right turn and the windshield may be short.... How'd I do?

Lets see frame hits way before rim hits/ brake bleeders are lower than brake hose/Hoses also look kinda short for turning from that angle/ tie rod sleeve welded.

I typed before I saw dunno125 post can't type fast.

AND! As far as I am concerned, blind bolt steering arms are not safe, I have seen way to many come lose and cause some bad problems... the windshield area looks big enough, and most of the rest has been pretty much identified already, but, we could go on and on, poor fellow... :)

If this where to come into my shop, some serious frame work would be on order. It appears the firewall kick is way to deep. Less kick would raise the frame under the body and eliminate the need for that tall spacer between the front spring and it's perch. Another option would be to move the front spring over the axle. This would probably allow the tie rod to be located behind the axle where it belongs. To get the body level I would think the rear kick would need some re-designing also.

I have never been a fan of those steering arms. If the bolt holding them is too long, well you can guess what could happen, plus there is no way to effectively lock the bolts. For these resons I like to use the Chassis Eng. arms. They have thru bolts.

That tie rod needs to go, period.

IMHO, this chassis could be usable with very little cash and some sweat involved.

Ron

Just a note about that tie rod, there is nothing really wrong with cutting the tie rod when needing it longer, and fitting it into a larger piece of tubing, as heavy a wall as the stock tie rod or more... and with a plug weld inside a few inches from the end weld, things will be now stronger than a full length stock tie rod, the larger OD the tube, the stronger it is... We do this a lot on off road tie rods and RRods... Just does not have that clean (Trick) look most like on a custom T Bucket... I am talking safety wise...

You all found the issues in the photos, there are more. I'm only doing body and paint after it was in a garage fire. I had the body before I ever saw the chassis, had I known I probably would have refused the work just to keep my name away from it all. I voiced my opinion on all that you people saw, the answer i got was that its all about "COOL". I let him know that if he chose to kill himself its OK but, what about everyone else it may involve. Ya can't fix stupid.........ruggs

He must have meant cool as in body temperature.

Ron

We can all just chalk this chassis up as the Poster Child of bad engineering......ruggs

This is the kind of thing that's going to get us legislated right off the street.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back