Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spoke wheels

Tjbucket

I am going to be running 16" X 3.5 spoke wheels on front......can anyone tell me if the chrome is prone to peeling if actually ran? I did not realize they actually use a different chroming process for flexible items. They are Dayton wheels and this will not be a trailer queen.

Ok, just worried about the chrome peeling.....It had basically the same wheels when I got it (which where peeling) and have noticed that most have veered away from spokes.....not sure why as it is a great look for a bucket.

Ok, just worried about the chrome peeling.....It had basically the same wheels when I got it (which where peeling) and have noticed that most have veered away from spokes.....not sure why as it is a great look for a bucket.
Iffy brakes , very small contact patch , questionable strength would be some reasons, then there's the price ...
dave

Contact patch is the part of the tire actually in contact with the road. Small contact patch = less grip...and less control

I agree 100%! As a former racer, rally and gymkhana driver I'm a rather aggressive driver. Handling is VERY important to me. Those skinny little front tires are OK, I guess, if you only drive VERY conservatively and hope that nobody pulls out in front of you. IMHO

Jim

Thanks for your input, perhaps upgrades down the road. I am sure I will have a better indication after having it on the road this season.

Going back to my days of obsession with British sports cars, I'm a wire wheel fanatic. If you want wires with wider tire capability, look for Cragar Star wheels. Just yesterday I missed out on a ebay auction set that featured 15x4.5s for the front. Right now I have a set of faux wire wheels for the front. they were a high end option on 1980s Lincoln Town Cars
Lincoln Wires.JPG
They're pretty good simulated wires...Lincoln parts departments were getting $483 a piece when they were still available. I got mine for $85 a piece on ebay. They are alloys, so they are lighter than typical wire wheels that are steel....lower unsprung weight. If I can find another pair for a comparable price, I'll be running them on all 4 wheels.

Another option may be to adapt Jaguar or big Austin Healey wires. That was my original intent before finding the Lincolns

Running 16" front on mine. Tyres are a real problem to find in that size, especially the old style Speedmasters.

Only 16" tyres I can find commonly available have a really nasty tread pattern. May be different in the US.
G

Last edited:
Running 16" front on mine. Tyres are a real problem to find in that size, especially the old style Speedmasters.

Only 16" tyres I can find commonly available have a really nasty tread pattern. May be different in the US.
G
I really like the look of that front suspension!

G
Gerry,
Nice ride! I am running similar tread pattern as you have. Do you have any issues with the center hub cap? I recently bought replacement caps and they have an o-ring.....I had a helluva time actually getting it seated, which I eventually cut the o-ring tossed it aside and ran a bead of silicon around the edge, I will probably have problems when I need to re-grease the bearing. I just did not feel like the o-ring or the previous cap had used more of a compression ring, I just felt that eventually I would be missing one...or both.

Thanks.
I made the wheels caps from alloy bar, they are solid. Just made them a tap fit. I can get to the edge of them through the spokes from the back of the wheel with a long screwdriver. Then just gently tap them off. If I feel they are a little loose I put a piece of supermarket plastic bag around a small part of the lip and then tap them in. Hope this helps
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back