Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spraying Epoxy Primer

Has anyone use epoxy primer on their t bucket? Any tips or advise when using it, and should any bondo work be done before spraying it?

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob

I used epoxy primer over any bare metal then body filler over that where needed (fuel tank). There are two schools of thought. That is one and the latest. The other is to use filler on bare metal then primer over that which has been done since the stone age. It's a lot more complicated doing it the new way. If I had to do it again, I would do it the old school way.

After the body filler was done, I used 2K urethane primer over it to fill any minor scratches or imperfections.

I used epoxy primer over any bare metal then body filler over that where needed (fuel tank). There are two schools of thought. That is one and the latest. The other is to use filler on bare metal then primer over that which has been done since the stone age. It's a lot more complicated doing it the new way. If I had to do it again, I would do it the old school way.

After the body filler was done, I used 2K urethane primer over it to fill any minor scratches or imperfections.

The thing to remember when using filler over the epoxy primer is that you should apply the filler before the primer cures. That way you get a chemical bond along with a mechanical bond. If you wait until the primer has cured you'll need to "rough" it up with some abrasive paper to achieve a mechanical bond. Check with the manufacturer of the primer to see the cure time of their product. As was stated in the above post, use a good high build urethane primer to take care of imperfections. I also highly suggest that you use the same brand of products from primers through to finish coats. In paints of today there are slight differences in chemical make up from different companies. It may look good as soon as you're finished but there are chances that down the road you'll have problems. So, don't go for price by mixing brands of finishes. IMHO

Jim

Used the Summit Epoxy primer on mine, both bare metal and fiberglass, and it worked great. Did body filler on FG before applying primer. Sanded metal to a bright surface to remove any rust and mill scale. Lightly sand FG to a dull finish to remove traces of mold release that stay in the surface of the gel coat.

Used the Summit Epoxy primer on mine, both bare metal and fiberglass, and it worked great. Did body filler on FG before applying primer. Sanded metal to a bright surface to remove any rust and mill scale. Lightly sand FG to a dull finish to remove traces of mold release that stay in the surface of the gel coat.

I've used Summit's paint product on two cars for a friend and found it to be extremely user friendly and you can not beat their price. I was very skeptical at first when he gave me the paint that he'd bought but once I started using it I was sold on it.

Jim

I've used Summit's paint product on two cars for a friend and found it to be extremely user friendly and you can not beat their price. I was very skeptical at first when he gave me the paint that he'd bought but once I started using it I was sold on it.

Jim
I agree. I used it on mine too and the only complaint I had is that it seemed really thick the way they said to reduce it, which is a common complaint from what I've read and heard. I just reduced it a little more and it was fine. After letting it sit for a few weeks, it buffed out real nice and easy.

I suppose you could, not sure. I just used body filler right over the fiberglass then the urethane high build primer over that. They say the epoxy is recommended mainly for bare metal. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I think it may be extra work that may not be necessary...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back