Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spring over or spring behind

Tundrajax

Just has the title says. Which one is better or worse or does it make a difference besides looks? What are the pro's and con's of both??

Ok thanks for the info and swanky looks like your running a vega box ? I still need to decide the steering as well. I was thinking about a reversed corvair box lift 4in and against the firewall but I'm not so sure if I'll have clearance for headers

Also if I do spring behind what will I put in the axle that will connect the bolt on batwings?

If you click on the thumbnail of my axle & look closely, you'll see one of these bolted to the inside of each batwing, and the spring shackle bolts through this piece, with the spring 'eye' on the lower end of the shackle. (Yes, I'm using a Vega box with cross-steer, relocated after that pic.)

Spring pivot.jpg

For my build I was planning on (and have the components for) going spring over. to maintain a lower stance I have a 5" drop axle and a mono-leaf spring. Two reasons for going with the spring over configuration. First, I was shooting for the shortest wheelbase I could get. Second, in my foggy mind, there had to be a reason the spring behind configuration got the title "suicide"...and I didn't want to learn the hard why.

I'm using an original axle. So the bat wing will be bolted to the axle. I'm looking for the bolt that will go in it since I'm going to go spring behind.

The original Model T axle was an I-beam with the spring over the axle and a wishbone to locate the axle side-to-side. I confess my ignorance, but I'm not aware of a way to 'convert' that to 'spring-behind' without a lot of work. Why not use another axle?

If the axle in ? is '27 or older , I wouldn't use it , thry're weak & the geometry sucks...If it's '28 [model A] or newer , you cut off the ball ends , weld in threaded bungs for rod ends , then aft of the axle , weld tubes into the bones foe spring pivots ... norma

If the axle in ? is '27 or older , I wouldn't use it , thry're weak & the geometry sucks...If it's '28 [model A] or newer , you cut off the ball ends , weld in threaded bungs for rod ends , then aft of the axle , weld tubes into the bones foe spring pivots ... normally you have to pie cut the bones to get adequate caster

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back