Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

State of the Forums Address

See the four options listed at the end of the post and cast your vote

• Option A - Who needs a Gallery or Library anyway?

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Option B - We need to step up, but one step at a time

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Option C - We need to step up and be cost-effective for the long haul

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option D - It's time to fold up the tents

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike

Since POTUS is preparing to deliver his SOTU address, i figured this was as good a time as any to deliver my SOTF address.

There's plenty of good news to relate. We continue to grow, beyond all my expectations. B.C. will doubtless chide me thinking this, but every time I see we have a new registration, I am convinced that will likely be the last one. How many T-Bucket enthusiasts are there in this world? When I look back to where we were 4 years ago, I am most certainly humbled by the incredible support so many of you have demonstrated toward this site. We were barely hanging on, back in those days, yet a lot of you decided you were going to stick around and help grow this site. And look at what it has become.

After a lot of lost sleep and creating a flat spot on my forehead, by banging it on my desk, we've managed to get the Tech Library running as I had envisioned it, over a year ago. The software is finally doing what I wanted it to do, rather than just what I was telling it to do. As a result, the only limitation I see to the Library becoming the go-to resource for all aspects of T-Bucket building is the lack of article submissions. I know, it's easy to think the worst of ourselves and our abilities, but some of you fellows have got some really great experiences to be shared with others. So give the possibility of submitting an article some consideration. If you think you're writing skills aren't up to snuff, let me know and I'll help you make the necessary edits.

I've been teasing the lead developer at Invision Power Services, because he seems to be dragging his feet on getting the upgraded Gallery script finished up and ready for a release. Guys, you are really going to be amazed when you see the new Gallery. The Beta version of the new software really puts the current release to shame. I'll be upgrading to it, as soon as it is made available.

Now, I come to something I've been fretting over for the last several days. And I'm going to be asking for some input from each of you, as I try to decide how best to move forward.

Watching the forum grow is a good thing. Unless you're looking at the way we've begun putting some strain on our server. Yeah, this is going to be about money and expenses and all that stuff that is less than fun to consider.

We're out-growing our resources. Again. With no sign of it slowing down, either. Which means I need to start making arrangements to get things moved into larger living quarters. The really down side to all this is that we've grown to a point where it gets pretty tough to add some resources for very few dollars. We're already large enough that the only changes we can make are expensive changes.

As I see it (and believe me, I've looked at this from every possible angle), we really have a couple of options. Unless removing resources from the site or shutting the site down are options, that is.

At our present rate of growth, I can move to a server that should keep us in good shape for another year. Maybe 14-16 months, but most likely for just a year. That move is going to increase the hosting expense by $60/month. Which is a heckuva lot of money, if you ask me.

But the cheese gets even more binding than that. At the end of that year, the next option is going to increase the hosting expense by an additional $100/month. The only good news to be found in there is that server would be large enough to keep us in good shape for as much as another 3 years, before we run out of room again.

So here is how that play out, using a projected 4-year model. The next year is going to add $720 to our monthly expenses. Then the next move would add another $1200 per year, making it a total cost increase of $6480 over what we are currently paying, for the next 4 years. That amounts to $135/month increase over what I paid this month for us to be here.

Scary, isn't it?

I have managed to work out a deal to move to the larger server, straight away and at a lower monthly cost. If I take the larger server now, I can buy it for an additional $100/month. Over the 4 year period, that would end up saving a total of $1680 over the first option.

Four years ago this month, I announced I was going to be shutting this site down, because of no participation. Four years ago, I was hoping to get as many as 250 total members, but was more realistically expecting no more than 200. Four years ago, I funded the site out of my back pocket, because it just didn't take much money to keep it alive.

Forty-two months ago, we had to move to a more spacious hosting account, because we were bumping the limits of the account we were running on. Thirty-three months ago, I was racing to get things moved over to what seemed to be a monster server. I was sweating bullets, because I was trying to get the site running faster to keep everyone from complaining about slow load times. We were about this >< close to being shut down, because we were exceeding the limits on the hosting we had at the time. When we got onto our current server, I relaxed, because I knew there was no way we could ever burn up all the resources.

Little did I know. That was 1,818 members and 66,291 posts ago, before we had a Photo Gallery and a Tech Library. Now, with all the added weight, we're starting to stretch the seams again. And what really frustrates me is the amount of money it is going to take to get some more breathing room.

Still with me? Good, because this is where I really start getting nervous.

Over the last few months, we've been doing pretty well at hitting the donation quota. Last month, we even took in an additional $50 or $60, which gives me a bit of insurance to cover a possible shortfall in the coming months. But how is everyone going to react if I suddenly raise the monthly quota by $100/month?

Of our current 2,257 members, we have 105 members who are allowing this site to be here. I'm not going to mince words here, because if those 105 members were not covering the bills, we wouldn't be here. I cannot afford to operate this site without the financial support we're getting. And now, I'm faced with having to ask for more.

Yes, I know, when you look at the total number of members and the total monthly expenses, it seems to be a non-issue. At the new level of expenses, assuming the move to the new server, $270/month comes to $3,240 for the year. If all of our 2257 members would donate just $1.44 each, we would be in tall cotton. And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :shrug2:

The downside to all this is that I have to consider the very real possibility that we may never get more than 105 members willing to donate anything at all. I start each month at $0.00 and then I sit back and worry that I may never get another dime in donations. If we don't take in a dime of donations in February, I could keep the site alive through March. Come April, we wouldn't be here any longer.

We talked a few weeks back about changing things around, to create some perks for those of you who are generous enough to donate. And maybe there is a solution in there, somewhere. But it would amount to setting up an entirely new system.

Pay a $35 fee for an annual site membership. As in renewable every 12 months. With that membership, you get to display an avatar, where non-members do not. Members can have a photo album, non-members cannot. Members can display a profile picture, non-members cannot. Members can have the ability to store a large number of Private Messages (200-300) where non-members can store only 5. Member can attach pictures to their posts, non-members cannot. Members get access to the member-only forums, non-members do not. Members can browse the forums in invisible mode, non-members cannot. Members can access the members list, non-members cannot. Members can access the Mobile skin, non-members cannot. I don't really want to close the Library to members only, because that prevents the search engines from crawling it. I keep hoping Library articles will encourage people to visit the site and join.

Frankly, I don't want to adopt this kind of system. When you have members, you start sounding like club. This is not a club, this is a forum. But it has the possible benefit of encouraging more people to become members, which means the site would not only be paying for itself, but would suddenly be able to turn a profit. (Be still, my beating heart!) Then again, it might alienate enough people that we couldn't afford to move forward. Let's be honest enough to admit that we're all feeling the money crunch.

I'm really open for suggestions, here. I know that any decision I make is going to upset some people. But I also know my only other options are to ditch the Library, ditch the Gallery, ditch the ability for members to post attachments and hope we can hang in here for a few more months, until the problem rears its ugly head again. I don't think that is going to make too many people happy. I suppose we could set a date for the closing of this site, which eliminates all of the problems in one, fell swoop. I'm betting that would make even fewer people happy.

But I need to do something, because we're at a point where the problem cannot be ignored any longer.

To review -

A) We can eliminate the Gallery, the Library, profile photos and post attachments, which might keep us going approximately 6 months
B) We can add $60/month expenses for a year and then add an additional $100/month expenses for another 2-3 years beyond that point
C) We can add $100/month expenses for another 3-4 years
E) We can shrug our shoulders and walk away from the site as being too expensive to maintain

I really need your input. Take a look at these 4 options and then please, take the time to cast your ballot.

Then tell me how you feel about our current donation system, compared to an annual membership system.

There are two poll questions, please cast both ballots.

I hate this part of running a Web site. Money problems suck, that's all there is to it.

Mike-----Pay a $35. annual membership! -- I am new so this is me.

Since POTUS is preparing to deliver his SOTU address, i figured this was as good a time as any to deliver my SOTF address.

There's plenty of good news to relate. We continue to grow, beyond all my expectations. B.C. will doubtless chide me thinking this, but every time I see we have a new registration, I am convinced that will likely be the last one. How many T-Bucket enthusiasts are there in this world? When I look back to where we were 4 years ago, I am most certainly humbled by the incredible support so many of you have demonstrated toward this site. We were barely hanging on, back in those days, yet a lot of you decided you were going to stick around and help grow this site. And look at what it has become.

After a lot of lost sleep and creating a flat spot on my forehead, by banging it on my desk, we've managed to get the Tech Library running as I had envisioned it, over a year ago. The software is finally doing what I wanted it to do, rather than just what I was telling it to do. As a result, the only limitation I see to the Library becoming the go-to resource for all aspects of T-Bucket building is the lack of article submissions. I know, it's easy to think the worst of ourselves and our abilities, but some of you fellows have got some really great experiences to be shared with others. So give the possibility of submitting an article some consideration. If you think you're writing skills aren't up to snuff, let me know and I'll help you make the necessary edits.

I've been teasing the lead developer at Invision Power Services, because he seems to be dragging his feet on getting the upgraded Gallery script finished up and ready for a release. Guys, you are really going to be amazed when you see the new Gallery. The Beta version of the new software really puts the current release to shame. I'll be upgrading to it, as soon as it is made available.

Now, I come to something I've been fretting over for the last several days. And I'm going to be asking for some input from each of you, as I try to decide how best to move forward.

Watching the forum grow is a good thing. Unless you're looking at the way we've begun putting some strain on our server. Yeah, this is going to be about money and expenses and all that stuff that is less than fun to consider.

We're out-growing our resources. Again. With no sign of it slowing down, either. Which means I need to start making arrangements to get things moved into larger living quarters. The really down side to all this is that we've grown to a point where it gets pretty tough to add some resources for very few dollars. We're already large enough that the only changes we can make are expensive changes.

As I see it (and believe me, I've looked at this from every possible angle), we really have a couple of options. Unless removing resources from the site or shutting the site down are options, that is.

At our present rate of growth, I can move to a server that should keep us in good shape for another year. Maybe 14-16 months, but most likely for just a year. That move is going to increase the hosting expense by $60/month. Which is a heckuva lot of money, if you ask me.

But the cheese gets even more binding than that. At the end of that year, the next option is going to increase the hosting expense by an additional $100/month. The only good news to be found in there is that server would be large enough to keep us in good shape for as much as another 3 years, before we run out of room again.

So here is how that play out, using a projected 4-year model. The next year is going to add $720 to our monthly expenses. Then the next move would add another $1200 per year, making it a total cost increase of $6480 over what we are currently paying, for the next 4 years. That amounts to $135/month increase over what I paid this month for us to be here.

Scary, isn't it?

I have managed to work out a deal to move to the larger server, straight away and at a lower monthly cost. If I take the larger server now, I can buy it for an additional $100/month. Over the 4 year period, that would end up saving a total of $1680 over the first option.

Four years ago this month, I announced I was going to be shutting this site down, because of no participation. Four years ago, I was hoping to get as many as 250 total members, but was more realistically expecting no more than 200. Four years ago, I funded the site out of my back pocket, because it just didn't take much money to keep it alive.

Forty-two months ago, we had to move to a more spacious hosting account, because we were bumping the limits of the account we were running on. Thirty-three months ago, I was racing to get things moved over to what seemed to be a monster server. I was sweating bullets, because I was trying to get the site running faster to keep everyone from complaining about slow load times. We were about this >< close to being shut down, because we were exceeding the limits on the hosting we had at the time. When we got onto our current server, I relaxed, because I knew there was no way we could ever burn up all the resources.

Little did I know. That was 1,818 members and 66,291 posts ago, before we had a Photo Gallery and a Tech Library. Now, with all the added weight, we're starting to stretch the seams again. And what really frustrates me is the amount of money it is going to take to get some more breathing room.

Still with me? Good, because this is where I really start getting nervous.

Over the last few months, we've been doing pretty well at hitting the donation quota. Last month, we even took in an additional $50 or $60, which gives me a bit of insurance to cover a possible shortfall in the coming months. But how is everyone going to react if I suddenly raise the monthly quota by $100/month?

Of our current 2,257 members, we have 105 members who are allowing this site to be here. I'm not going to mince words here, because if those 105 members were not covering the bills, we wouldn't be here. I cannot afford to operate this site without the financial support we're getting. And now, I'm faced with having to ask for more.

Yes, I know, when you look at the total number of members and the total monthly expenses, it seems to be a non-issue. At the new level of expenses, assuming the move to the new server, $270/month comes to $3,240 for the year. If all of our 2257 members would donate just $1.44 each, we would be in tall cotton. And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :shrug2:

The downside to all this is that I have to consider the very real possibility that we may never get more than 105 members willing to donate anything at all. I start each month at $0.00 and then I sit back and worry that I may never get another dime in donations. If we don't take in a dime of donations in February, I could keep the site alive through March. Come April, we wouldn't be here any longer.

We talked a few weeks back about changing things around, to create some perks for those of you who are generous enough to donate. And maybe there is a solution in there, somewhere. But it would amount to setting up an entirely new system.

Pay a $35 fee for an annual site membership. As in renewable every 12 months. With that membership, you get to display an avatar, where non-members do not. Members can have a photo album, non-members cannot. Members can display a profile picture, non-members cannot. Members can have the ability to store a large number of Private Messages (200-300) where non-members can store only 5. Member can attach pictures to their posts, non-members cannot. Members get access to the member-only forums, non-members do not. Members can browse the forums in invisible mode, non-members cannot. Members can access the members list, non-members cannot. Members can access the Mobile skin, non-members cannot. I don't really want to close the Library to members only, because that prevents the search engines from crawling it. I keep hoping Library articles will encourage people to visit the site and join.

Frankly, I don't want to adopt this kind of system. When you have members, you start sounding like club. This is not a club, this is a forum. But it has the possible benefit of encouraging more people to become members, which means the site would not only be paying for itself, but would suddenly be able to turn a profit. (Be still, my beating heart!) Then again, it might alienate enough people that we couldn't afford to move forward. Let's be honest enough to admit that we're all feeling the money crunch.

I'm really open for suggestions, here. I know that any decision I make is going to upset some people. But I also know my only other options are to ditch the Library, ditch the Gallery, ditch the ability for members to post attachments and hope we can hang in here for a few more months, until the problem rears its ugly head again. I don't think that is going to make too many people happy. I suppose we could set a date for the closing of this site, which eliminates all of the problems in one, fell swoop. I'm betting that would make even fewer people happy.

But I need to do something, because we're at a point where the problem cannot be ignored any longer.

To review -

A) We can eliminate the Gallery, the Library, profile photos and post attachments, which might keep us going approximately 6 months
B) We can add $60/month expenses for a year and then add an additional $100/month expenses for another 2-3 years beyond that point
C) We can add $100/month expenses for another 3-4 years
E) We can shrug our shoulders and walk away from the site as being too expensive to maintain

I really need your input. Take a look at these 4 options and then please, take the time to cast your ballot.

Then tell me how you feel about our current donation system, compared to an annual membership system.

There are two poll questions, please cast both ballots.

I hate this part of running a Web site. Money problems suck, that's all there is to it.

I for one am with the $35.00 a month membership fee. I P___ away that much a week just to have my personal fun. You did not say how many "members" it would take to reach the goal you are asking for. I am a donator that already gives more than what you would be asking for a membership so I can be a part of this forum and my "conscience" be clear of using something for nothing or trying to use and abuse so to speak. Ultimately it will be your decision, and I hope to continue on.

I like the 35.00$ per year membership. I'll even make my own T Shirt and throw in a Thank You for all the above and beyond you have done.

The membership idea seems ideal at first blush, but you know that many would drop out if forced to pay to play, which kind of kills the reason for dues to begin with (or does it?).
my suggestion would be for new members to receive full benifits for 60 days [or whatever] so they can see what they're getting for the dollar. then when the lights go dim, many will see the light..., so to speak.

Russ

Mike, rather than a "Club Membership" perhaps something similar to the "Volksrod Coalition" would be more in line with what you have in mind.

Steve's managed to keep the Volksrods website up and running with LOTS of members, a few little adverts, and a healthy group of regulars... so maybe he's discovered a better way to skin a cat, maybe not.

I'll post a link to the Coalition info..

http://www.volksrods.com/coalition.htm

Mike,

You and I have discussed this before. When I first joined I did the PayPal route each month until my credit card with PayPal got compromised. That is a real hardship because I used "auto bill pay" on that card. This has happened to me twice, and since I no longer use paypal, no further problems. I wanted to write you a check for $120.00 to cover me for a year, but you wanted me to drive into town and get a cashier's check.

I am currently more active now on Hotrodders.com and it doesn't bother me that at times on that forum I get the "server busy, try later" prompt. That place has a wealth of information, and their Wiki site, the contributors there really know their stuff. I know this site boasts over 2000 members, but from my casual observation there seems to be about 75 truly active members. If those 75 kick in $35.00 per year, by your math that won't cut it. I enjoy this site enough that $35.00 a year would be no issue at all, however, making a trip into town to get a cashier's check does kill it for me. NTBA, and SoCal T's seem to have no problem accepting personal checks for yearly membership.

Bob

Mike, I prefer to keep things simple myself, but how about a three-tiered membership structure? Basic would be free, just requiring registration (which I like for control purposes) and would have all the limitations you list above. Next level would be maybe $15 or $20 a year and would include some, but not the most desirable, of the features. Then a premium level at $35 with full access and priveleges. I just thought of a fourth level... "Lifetime" membership for a single donation of $_____? Not sure how you differentiate that level, other than the "prestige" of being a "lifetime" member? Maybe you get chase lights around your posts or something? :egypt:

Mike
35 per year membership is a real deal. Come on thats a couple of McDs for the family. Not a problem for me.
Heres a suggestion.
Give a 30 day free trial (its the market standard these days). If people donate in the 30 days then sunstract that from the anual fee.
. eg If someone donates 10 bucks in the first 30 days they only have to pay the rest to become a full meber for 12 months. Better make sure its plain and simple on the site cause they need to be told they are getting a deal.

OR

Make the membership 40 bucks a year and discount first time members by 5 bucks to get them into the amount of info there is here.

I am very willing to write tech stuff for the library, with illustrations etc. There are other guys out there that i am sure are willing to do they same. Problem is the lack of interest they seem to attract, so maybe we can (to use a 80s term) brain storm to find a way of promoting or using this VALUABLE resource to better effect. I am not sure how we do it but there must be a way.

The info we have here for Buckets (and by the way any other rods that runs a chassis set up like our) is quite special, we just need to get Joe rodder to realize it.

If we loose a few people because they are not willing to help with the running cost of a resource that can save them hundreds or even thousands of dollars then so be it. Maybe we need to promote the fact that we can save you money with the expertise we have in situ just for a small contribution.

Next thought. We as a forum copyright things that members have discovered or solved and apply a small fee to get this info for non members. Or JOIN our forum and get it for free.

Got looads more but that enough for the time
Gerry

Mike,

The cold hard facts are on this forum you have 26 members that have over 500 posts that have posted at least once this year. Over at Hot Rodder's Bulletin Board, the membership is 93,293, posting 1,327,719 posts to 178,306 threads. Not to mention 40,912 photos in the gallery. Is this forum's resources taxed so much by those 26 members, that expensive upgrades and larger capacities are needed?

Bob

this is not about numbers, its about people who love their Ts. I for one will do anything to keep OUR from going irrelevant of whats happening elsewhere
Gerry

Here's my 2 cents. First of all, let's keep it simple. Mike has a life outside this form I'm sure. The multi step memberships are great ideas but someone has to monitor them. I would go with you are either a member or a guest. The difference being the $35 fee.

As I look back and reread Mike's post he states "If all 2257 members gave $1.44 we'd be in tall cotton." This makes me wonder if a lower fee would be possible. There are a good many folks on here that $35 has a larger impact on their budget than others. Maybe a $20 donation would be easier to sell.

Ron

Mike,

You and I have discussed this before. When I first joined I did the PayPal route each month until my credit card with PayPal got compromised. That is a real hardship because I used "auto bill pay" on that card. This has happened to me twice, and since I no longer use paypal, no further problems. I wanted to write you a check for $120.00 to cover me for a year, but you wanted me to drive into town and get a cashier's check.

I am currently more active now on Hotrodders.com and it doesn't bother me that at times on that forum I get the "server busy, try later" prompt. That place has a wealth of information, and their Wiki site, the contributors there really know their stuff. I know this site boasts over 2000 members, but from my casual observation there seems to be about 75 truly active members. If those 75 kick in $35.00 per year, by your math that won't cut it. I enjoy this site enough that $35.00 a year would be no issue at all, however, making a trip into town to get a cashier's check does kill it for me. NTBA, and SoCal T's seem to have no problem accepting personal checks for yearly membership.

Bob
Bob, you're absolutely correct in saying we've discussed this before.

As a matter of fact, the last time you brought it up, I told you if you wanted to send me a check through your bank's online bill pay service, I would get you all the mailing details.

And you know, that is the last I've heard from you on the subject. Until today, that is.

At the time, I even looked up your forum account number, so you would be able to use that with your bank. Not only would that save you a trip into town, it would save you picking up a money order when you stop at the grocery store or convenience store and it would also save you an envelope and a stamp.

So your point in bringing this up again today is...?

'Nuff said?

Todd, thanks for the link to the Volksrod's solution. I'll look it over and see if I can come up with a better solution.

Bob, you're absolutely correct in saying we've discussed this before.

As a matter of fact, the last time you brought it up, I told you if you wanted to send me a check through your bank's online bill pay service, I would get you all the mailing details.

And you know, that is the last I've heard from you on the subject. Until today, that is.

At the time, I even looked up your forum account number, so you would be able to use that with your bank. Not only would that save you a trip into town, it would save you picking up a money order when you stop at the grocery store or convenience store and it would also save you an envelope and a stamp.

So your point in bringing this up again today is...?

'Nuff said?

Todd, thanks for the link to the Volksrod's solution. I'll look it over and see if I can come up with a better solution.

Where did you post that? I remember only posting a payment option in the "Donor's forum" and since what is said there stays there, I won't copy and paste your reply here. But it was the latest post and only had one reply, yours. Direct me to the post to put the forum on an automatic bill pay for me and I'll set it up on my end with my bank.

Bob

Mike..

What you present IS scary! While I realize that this is NOT a democracy, you've given a few options, but I'm not convinced yet that there are not other viable alternatives. Frankly, the fees you are paying are outragous, but is there a cheaper alternative? I mentioned this once before, but no one commented on it. So now I have some hard questions of my own that I'd like to know more about, so if anyone has any insite, please speak up.

First, what would it cost for a data line capable of handling our network traffic?

Second, what would it cost to set up our own server utilizing said line? (Say in Mike's house...)

Third, what impact would that have on the monthly fees involved?

And finally, is it possible to find a sponsoring company that already has the high speed data connection that is willing to allow you to put a server behind that network?

I can only guess at the answers, but I do know that the GMC motorhome forum did just that, and no one pays any dues, and there are very few donations required to keep it rolling. It's set up as a mailing service with forum backup, so you can get daily emails of all new entries, or just go look at the forums.( (Probably takes lot's of Patrick Flowers hours, the force behind it.) For something like this, Licenses once paid, can be amoritized. Hosting fees go away, and after you are once set up, you just have the line cost and a bit of maintenence. Have you checked this option out?

There was an offer the other day by (?can't remember who?) to host all the pix we wanted to store, could this person handle forum traffic as well? Don't worry about loosing control of things, you already manage it remotely, correct?

If the answer is that continuing asis will cost a bunch more, and there is no viable way to set up our own server in order to keep the costs under control. then in answer to your questions, I don't mind an annual fee at all, but I don' t feel you will get enough participants willing to pay it, based upon the donations you are currently receiving. Lurkers don't pay. Don't shut it down just yet though, let's keep trying to find a solution. I don't see how elimination of the library will have much impact, but I think it would not hurt a thing to eliminate the option to insert part or all of a previous post into a reply, and only allow a manual copy of portions of a post so that the forum is not full of the same thing over and over. About 1/4 of the space is consumed by repeated entries! That's band width too! The pictures and even the gallery could be offloaded to some other option where the poster supplies only a link. For my own part, having the most up to date and racy layout of the forum pages(technically speaking), with all the bells and whistles is not as important as the content. Maybe there is even free forum software out there that would do with a bit less function/jazz... JMHO...

Of course, if you've coverred all this ground and my CRS is kicking in, my apologies!

Corley

Where did you post that? I remember only posting a payment option in the "Donor's forum" and since what is said there stays there, I won't copy and paste your reply here. But it was the latest post and only had one reply, yours. Direct me to the post to put the forum on an automatic bill pay for me and I'll set it up on my end with my bank.

Bob
How soon we forget, eh? OK, now you want I should prove the conversation took place? What, am I now lying to you? Allow me to accommodate your request, nothing else in this particular topic is nearly as important as me demonstrating my veracity to you.

See THIS THREAD, started 14 December 2010.

In THIS POST, submitted 17 December 2010, you said,

I offered to write a check for $120.00 but you told me "no personal checks". I live rurally, do all my banking and bill paying on line, so it is just too much trouble to get a bank check, or money order. I just figured if you thought my check was no good you would allow it to sit in your account for a week so you know it cleared before drawing funds on it.

In THIS POST, submitted 18 December 2010, I replied by saying,

Bob, I am not suggesting anyone's check is no good.

I have, however, been burned by enough bad checks from so-called 'donators supporting the site' that I am not running any more risks with it.

If Mr. XYZ sends me a personal check for $10, then I have a trip to the bank I need to make to deposit the check. Since it was a donation outside the Donation Tracker, I have to manually add that payment to the tracker. If the check bounces, my bank charges me $10 to redeposit the check. If the check clears on the second pass, I'm still right where I was before the check arrived, because the bank fees offset the donation. Then I also have to go back into the Tracker script and delete the payment, so it doesn't appear.

Later in the same post, I went on to offer alternatives to people not wanting to open a PayPal account. I also said,

I'm sorry if it seems I am being intolerant, but I am going to stick to my guns about not taking personal checks. I've enough bad checks in the file right now and I am not going to add more work and more grief for myself, by changing policy now. If someone wants to make a donation with an e-check from their banking institution's online bill payment system, I will accept those checks. Your bank will not allow creation of an e-check if there are insufficient funds, so the e-checks are safe. I do all of my banking online as well, but it presents no hardship to drive to the bank.
[Emphasis Mine - ME]

To clarify, at no point did I ever mention anyone could or should 'put the forum on an automatic bill pay'.

Thanks for the generous offer to set up a payment with your bank. But when someone says they are willing to make a free will offering, just as soon as I offer up proof I am not telling porkies, the whole concept of free will seems to fly right out the window for me.

You wound me up a bit when you first alleged I was suggesting your personal check might be bad. You wound me up a bit tighter when you brought it up again. I opened this topic to see how the forum members wanted to proceed with a serious issue, not to hear your picayune bleating about your personal checks. I opened the topic because it is a very real concern, not to hear you tell me about how things are done on another site. That other site? It's not my concern and I really cannot find it in me to care any less about it. I don't care about the numbers you've quoted to me, they are nothing more than the tip of an iceberg and clearly demonstrate you are clueless about Web site traffic. In short, you've gone out of your way to derail this topic with your uneducated and ill-considered comments. Then to have you suggest I was lying to you and asking me for proof of what I said is what really put the icing on the cake. I don't lie and for you to so much as hint I have is more than I am willing to take from you or anyone else. From where I'm sitting, you've worn out your welcome here. I gave you your proof and now it's time for you to leave. We somehow managed to struggle along before you came here and now we're going to somehow struggle along without you. Log out and do both of us the favor of never darkening my doorstep ever again. If that's not good enough for you, we can do it the hard way. However you choose to do it, the end result remains the same.

To the other forum members, I apologize for interrupting this topic with my replies to Bob's rude posts. None of it addresses the very real issues I outlined in my previous post, but there comes a time when enough is enough. I'll never be able to understand how someone who is obviously not happy being part of a forum community always feels the need to keep coming back.

Mike your poll only offers a vote for one option so might I suggest an annual membership AND a monthly donation option? That would allow guys to give a little more when they can and to be honest when they think about it. I've donated money in the past and it's been more of a "oh crap! I haven't given anything in awhile" type of deal.
I have been an admin for a number of years now on a Corvette site that we built from nothing so I know what you are going through in the $$$ dept. It is hard, I'd hate to see this site close due to it but let's face it, it's a small small target audience.

I'd like to see a yearly membership with the option to pay $20 and up (members choice) You'd be suprised at the number of guys that will pay more and keep the donation sidebar and that money will keep coming in as well.

Whatever you chose good luck! I don't post alot but I do hang out here and read and read and read (you get the picture:D) so I'd hate to see it leave.

BTW I voted C on the top poll.

I don't use PayPal because of a previous bad experience, but send me a PM with the information and I will have the bank send you a check. I have learned more from this site and its participants than I could possibly pay for at $35/year. Because of this site I have met new friends, traveled to far away places (Arkansas) and seen some very interesting things. Thanks for being willing to work through the issues and put up with all of us.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back