Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering box

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Old round fart..what steering box you got? You said yours did three turns lock to lock but, no box I D. Yours is tighter than the one I have.

I'm sorry , humor me , what difference does it make whether you speed up your steering with a quick ratio box or a shorter steering arm . ????

I guess I misspoke. I have the Unisteer rack and I thought it was 3 turns but someone else corrected me. It is designed for a 6” steering arm so that is what I will build. With my long wheelbase and my narrow front axle I will need to build my own arms to get close to correct geometry.
There are several cars in the NTBA that have the Unisteer each mounted to the frame just ahead of the firewall. I guess you could make a cover if you don’t like the looks but for the performance I could overlook ugly! Mine is chrome so it can’t be all bad! Lol

Last edited:
Let me find a photo cause mine is chromed & I think it looks pretty good.......

Thanks Spanky..............

2old2fast..I really don't know. I am assuming the box would require less effort than a shorter steer arm or a longer potman. If someone has a "faster" box and, the effort is ok, then one could fine tune with arm mods. So much is a guessing game unless someone has done "it".

I'll try to explain , use a winch as an example , if you put a larger gear in place of the the small gear ,you can retrieve the load faster but it takes more effort......or look at it this way , whenever you decrease travel you increase effort , short lever , increase effort , long lever , decrease effort , gears are" round levers" ...
You can buy a Schroeder steering box w an 8:1 ratio , but you better have some arms and be willing to stay "up on the wheel" on the street , there'd be no forgiveness at all .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back