Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering shaft securement

Rip VW

I am in the process of setting up my steering shaft on the T. The steering linkage from the bottom of the column to my front frame mount Vega box. I have a Vega spline to 3/4 double D U joint on the box. The bottom of the column has a 1" to 3/4" Double D Dual cardan U joint. (a double joint). the connection between column U joint and box U joint is a 3/4" Double D steering shaft. Oh there is a shaft support bearing on the upper portion of the Double D shaft.

Now looking at the way the DD shaft is secured in each U joint, I am concerned that just a small indentation on the shaft is the way the U joint set screw is supposed to keep the shaft from sliding out. I feel if done this way it will not be as reliable as it could be. I am wondering how deep a person should make the set screw indentations? Anyone have any suggestions on how to secure the shaft? I also entertained the thought I could put a spot Bead to tack the shaft and U joint together that way it could be disassembled if needed by grinding the spot weld..
Either way I have finally got the steering wheel connected to the steering box. I have been a bit slowed over the last couple of months due to a relapse of my bone disease which slowed me to a stop for a while. However I am trying to get out in the shop for say an hour a couple of times a week and I am making slow progress..

So if anyone has any ideas of how to safely secure the steering shaft shout out and lets look atsteeringTopView1.JPG BottomView1.jpg steeringTopView1.JPG BottomView1.jpg everything pros and cons...

Attachments

• columnjoint1.JPG
    columnjoint1.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
I think you'd be fine with indentations and cone-point set screws. Just enough detent for the points and some thread locker at final assembly time.

set.pngset.jpg

Your sections of shaft are trapped in place and aren't going anywhere.

I think chop has the right idea. Mine has been on the road since 2016 with no problems using that setup.

Yeah, I think I will use a little bit deeper recess so as to capture all of the tip of the set screw but not go all the way through the shaft. I feel making a hole all the way through will weaken the U joint or shaft and could cause a failure. When it comes to brakes and steering I get a little anal with safety... With that dual cardan U joint there is a way for the shaft to work itself out of the U joint if the set screw loosens. Of course the support bearing would have to come loose also to allow the double U joint to sag down opening enough space to allow the shaft to slip out. Yeah I am probably overthinking this whole thing but rest assured when it is final assembled it will be held with a liberal application of Locktight..

Has anyone had any problems with the set screws loosening on them? Just curious ya know.

I've also seen them using a setscrew with a jam nut to help lock in the set screw. Belt and suspenders!!

Yeah my set screws use a Nylock nut to lock them so I think I may be ok there. This is what I get for having so much time on my hands setting around over thinking my imaginary problems. :cool:

Rip, I too have a double U at the end of the column:
Double U.JPG

Both ends are splined. I've run it like this with locknuts on the setscrews for 30 years. And here are my shaft supports:

shaft supports.JPG

The usual Borgeson, and the other was made by my pro builder with a nylon bushing. My shaft is about 4 ft long (runs up to the R&P in the front crossmember). The shaft supports keep the shaft in place even if the setscrews were to loosen. And as p/o my Spring make-ready I check the setscrews.

Potvin Guy, I really like you custom shaft support. Yeah my total shaft length is only 11 1/2" long. I will be using a single support about 3 inches from the double U joint. I wish it would warm up a bit more so I can get out and finish the mount for the steering support. I was out the other day and I just can't get going anymore when it is cold...:cool:

Potvin Guy, I am spoiled I guess if it were 14 outside here, I think I would stay in bed and sleep in!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back