Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

STEERING

I think the biggest issue is when you’re making a turn. The turning radius of the tires is different than what it is supposed to be. It equates to excess tire wear. The Ackerman on my bucket is wrong and has been for 40 years. If I’m
Making a tight turn I can hear the tires squealing. And then, maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about!

The outside tire will be pushed through the turn without proper Ackerman. I don't mind as I knowthe limitations as Neskoro said, tires squealing.

The outside tire will be pushed through the turn without proper Ackerman. I don't mind as I knowthe limitations as Neskoro said, tires squealing.

Besides the tire squealing, keep in mind that your wet traction, directional control will be reduced as well . . . perhaps something to keep in mind if you're in a region that gets a lot of un-forecast showers

OK, out of curiosity I checked the Ackerman angle on my bucket, remembering that I took that factor into account when I first set it up, but have forgotten about it since. I notice that the apex of the two lines from the king pins through the tie rod ends winds up about 3 ft behind my rear axle. What ill effect can I expect from this? It seems to drive and handle fine, albeit with a rather large turning circle.
Shouldn't have any perceptible effect. I ran my T for many years with Ackermann that would have required a 40' wheelbase! Only noticeable when making a real tight turn. Then I would get a bit of tire scuffing.

This answered my question about front end shimmy, when I inherited my T bucket from a dear friend, I noticed it was toed out so I set to what I thought would be better 1/16 toe in, I hadn't gone 1/4 mile and small bump and oh my did it shimmy, hit brakes turned around and reset to where my friend had it, no shimmy. I am a retired truck mechanic and toe out was a no no , but I found out its lots different on a T bucket. Glad I found this now I dont feel bad about having it toed out

This answered my question about front end shimmy, Glad I found this now I dont feel bad about having it toed out

You can take any 2 vehicles of the same make and model and year to set the front end geometry and they will not necessarily be the same as a lot has to do with the driver and passengers weight- wheel base/track and camber/castor/toe/ackerman --power steering/manual/rack and pinion . So it goes to whatever the car is happy with and what the driver wants is the way it will be. So tire maintenance and rotation as well as air pressure is what you have to keep an eye on.

I would also check the king pin bushings/bearings and the axle where the king pin goes through as any wear in those will cause shimmy. Check heim joints also for being loose/worn.

I had an original '40 Ford axle that was worn out where the king pin went through it and had to install bushings. That was a tough job on something that was even hard to chuck up on a milling machine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back