Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Such a deal....

Dan Noecker

I have been shopping around for an engine for my T. Today I found on craigslist a SBC block, two sets of rods, two sets of heads and a bunch of associated parts for $150. It is from 1958 and one set of heads came from a fuel injected engine. I guess it pays to shop around. On March 19, I will be going to The Goodguys car show and swap meet to see what else I can find. My daughter and son-in-law will be going also. A good chance for family time.

I have been shopping around for an engine for my T. Today I found on craigslist a SBC block, two sets of rods, two sets of heads and a bunch of associated parts for $150. It is from 1958 and one set of heads came from a fuel injected engine. I guess it pays to shop around. On March 19, I will be going to The Goodguys car show and swap meet to see what else I can find. My daughter and son-in-law will be going also. A good chance for family time.
I like Craigslist. I buy stuff on there more than I should, lol. Sell some too. 1958... Is it a 283?

Just check out the block good....thats a really cheap price for all those pieces. Hope its all good, and not the picked over heads thats had a bagillion valve jobs done....
Its a fantastic deal if all checks out....
I like going to GoodGuys, you can find some great deals there if you know your cars and parts....some of the newer folks aren't as knowledgeable as some, but overall, good. I like going to the auctions out there....I eat myself silly and drink too much....

What I have been able to find out for sure about the block and heads through the casting numbers is that it it is for sure a 1958 vintage block and 1958 heads of the FI kind. Not too bad for $150. This will go good in my T-car.

What I have been able to find out for sure about the block and heads through the casting numbers is that it it is for sure a 1958 vintage block and 1958 heads of the FI kind. Not too bad for $150. This will go good in my T-car.
The thing about old heads, by the time you put new valves, seats, guides, etc in them you can own a pair of aluminum heads... I have several sets of fuely heads on the shelf. Unless someone is doing a restoration or the like no one really wants to put any money in them, then there is the accessory hole issue. They are good heads, no doubt. I am not knocking them. Just saying. That 283 is a definite score, you don't often see them nowadays. If those heads came on that block, you should research the vin, it may ba a valuable find!

I will see my machinist tomorrow and will talk to him about the cost here. I may just go with Edelbrock heads. I will pass along what I find out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back