Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My EV rant . . .

If anyone is offended by my rant, I apologize. I did not intend it to be political in nature, but just to express my frustration with the trend I see in regulations that will mean the death of our beloved hot-rodding hobby if not reined in. I truly hope that future generations will be able to share our passion for these automotive artifacts, and that the freedoms we enjoy in this great nation of ours will continue to be available to everyone who wishes to exercise them. OK . . . down off the soap box!

Most of us feel the same way Spanky, I have said I will not be buying an EV and so there.......

I will contuine to polute the country/AIR with my Gas Powered Hot Rod until I can't drive anymore.....or some one takes away GAS.....Then I recon I will be done.........

I promise I won't say 'I told you so' . . . :unsure:

(By Issues & Insights Editorial Board) - History may someday record today as the beginning of the end of the internal combustion engine – and of individual liberty in the U.S.
According to news reports, the EPA is scheduled to release proposed auto emissions standards today on new car sales so stringent that the only way for automakers to meet them would be to shift two-thirds of their fleet to electric.
But wait. How can a regulatory agency do that? Consumers aren’t demanding electric cars. Lawmakers didn’t vote to force them on the public. The Environmental Protection Agency knows better, though, and, unless it’s neutered, plans to force EVs on you – for your own good.
As the Washington Post helpfully explains,
“while the rule changes wouldn’t order or require auto companies to sell a certain number of electric vehicles, it would set emissions limits so tightly the only way to comply would be to sell large percentages of EVs.”
To be clear, we are not talking about air pollution. We are talking about emissions of carbon dioxide, which is not a pollutant but which the EPA has assumed the power to regulate.

You might find this interesting

The Earth receives energy from sunlight. CO2 and water vapor act like a cap. Without these gases to trap some energy, our planet’s mean temperature would be near zero degrees Fahrenheit. Not good!

This trapping of energy (heat) is what we call the greenhouse effect. Because of this greenhouse effect the mean temperature of the Earth is around 59˚F, which allows for life to exist. Good, huh?

But burning fossil fuels adds CO2 to the atmosphere. Before the industrial revolution, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere was under 0.03%. It’s now 0.04% and the number is increasing. We are disturbing the delicate heat balance of the planet. This is causing global warming with its many destructive effects.

This graph shows the level of CO2 over the last 1000 years:

graph_co2.png

And EVs will only help a little. All transportation only accounts for 1/4 of the CO2 we emit. Bottom line we have too many people (8 billion, up from 2 billion in my life) burning too much fossil fuel, and that is not likely to change regardless of what any politician says.

Last edited:
My state has had BROWN OUTS for a few decades now. We have to upgrade our power grids to take care of our current electricity users (home owners). U. S. states need to build recharging stations throughout our country (so we can travel from the eastcoast to the westcoast). Recharging time has to also be shortened. Until this is accomplished , the EV is only good for short trips. The APTERA builders claim their car can travel 1000 miles on a single full charge. It uses solar panels (installed in the body panels to enable the vehicle to travel 420 miles (per day). The solar panels do not require a recharging station for a 420 mile trip. To go 1000 miles on a full charge you will have to use a recharging station. One drawback with this car is it only accomodates 2 passengers. Also ; shouldn't the power grid upgrades be funded by our government's NEW infrastructure fund ??

Every advancement that has been made has had its ups and downs and growing pains. The EV market will be the same thing but much more involved due to the requirement of the electricity component. It’s not going to happen overnight. Compare it to the. Cellphone industry. When they first came out they were quite expensive, big and bulky. People were spending hundreds of dollars per month to have one. Now, twenty years later you can have one that fits in your pocket or wear on your wrist and the monthly cost can be as low as $15-$20 per month. EV’s will be the same way. Probably not in my lifetime. Most of us old farts don’t like change but some things we have to accept. Like it or not!

The Earth receives energy from sunlight. CO2 and water vapor act like a cap. Without these gases to trap some energy, our planet’s mean temperature would be near zero degrees Fahrenheit. Not good!

This trapping of energy (heat) is what we call the greenhouse effect. Because of this greenhouse effect the mean temperature of the Earth is around 59˚F, which allows for life to exist. Good, huh?

But burning fossil fuels adds CO2 to the atmosphere. Before the industrial revolution, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere was under 0.03%. It’s now 0.04% and the number is increasing. We are disturbing the delicate heat balance of the planet. This is causing global warming with its many destructive effects.

This graph shows the level of CO2 over the last 1000 years:

View attachment 23851

And EVs will only help a little. All transportation only accounts for 1/4 of the CO2 we emit. Bottom line we have too many people (8 billion, up from 2 billion in my life) burning too much fossil fuel, and that is not likely to change regardless of what any politician says.

I believe CO2 is a symptom, not a disease. Our activities are releasing CO2, yes, but that's not the problem. The Earth has a mechanism for handling CO2 if we allow it...green growing stuff. The real problem is the exponential growth of energy consumption. Every activity we perform generates heat, from listening to the stereo to charging our multiple phones and tablets. All that heat is transferred to the earth which has no viable heat sink (flying through the vacuum of space).
Politicians have latched on to CO2 as the devil because it's something they can regulate and tax while patting themselves on the back for being "green". Sadly, focusing on CO2 serves only to distract from anything we might do that could actually be meaningful...like reducing our consumption. Well, thats not exactly true...reducing CO2 often has the desirable side effect of reducing real pollutants as well, so that's good...
The hippies had it right decades ago..."Reduce/Reuse/Recycle", and "Save the rainforest".

Last edited:
I recently watched a documentary and a physicist who was involved in monitoring the probes that we sent to other planets stated that global warming, climate change has little to do with our activities, as reported by main stream science. He said that according to data recorded on all of the probes on numerous planets and moons in our solar system, they all show temperature increases. He said that the entire carbon footprint was simply a method to extract revenue, via carbon tax, etc... I do think that we can all do better as far as common sense every day activities, but the problem isn’t as advertised and most of the practices advertised to help, are actually more harmful. Plastic is a huge problem... that, we could impact, but only if big industry got on board, as an example.

When I hear stories of $10 to 14,000 for battery replacement, all I can think of is that money could be better used to build a nice T BUCKET😁

When I hear stories of $10 to 14,000 for battery replacement, all I can think of is that money could be better used to build a nice T BUCKET😁
There are reports of the charging stations not being compatible with all models, they won’t plug in, and the prices are like buying fuel... I also know that the BMV adds a hiway use tax to the annual registration cost because they aren't getting the highway use taxes from fuel sales... lots of layers to this cake.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back