Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Summit Racing Paint

ellis8500

Has anybody out there used the Summit Racing single stage urethane paint? Comments? Local paint store wants over $1200 for Dupont paint and primers. Summit about $400. How can that be?

I've heard it's actually Kirker that's been relabeled as Summit. Summit, like most big corporations can sell products cheaper because they buy in large quantities.

I took my T-Bucket to a local paint store last week to get an estimate on how much paint i would need to repaint the body and frame. I told the guy it ain't no show car so i'm not looking for an award winning paint job, just something decent. Hugger orange for the body and black for the frame. I told him the last time i did any paint work was in the mid 80's so i'm looking for something that's halfway easy to spray. He estimated about 4 quarts of paint plus primer, hardner, reducer and whatever else i needed that mixes in the paint. I almost choked to death when he gave me an estimate. Almost $800 for primer and paint. For a T-Bucket?????? I think PPG can keep their paint. The Summit stuff is looking better all the time.

http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/

Here's another place that seems to have decent prices and i've heard good customer service:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/

I've heard it's actually Kirker that's been relabeled as Summit. Summit, like most big corporations can sell products cheaper because they buy in large quantities.

I took my T-Bucket to a local paint store last week to get an estimate on how much paint i would need to repaint the body and frame. I told the guy it ain't no show car so i'm not looking for an award winning paint job, just something decent. Hugger orange for the body and black for the frame. I told him the last time i did any paint work was in the mid 80's so i'm looking for something that's halfway easy to spray. He estimated about 4 quarts of paint plus primer, hardner, reducer and whatever else i needed that mixes in the paint. I almost choked to death when he gave me an estimate. Almost $800 for primer and paint. For a T-Bucket?????? I think PPG can keep their paint. The Summit stuff is looking better all the time.

http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/

Here's another place that seems to have decent prices and i've heard good customer service:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/

Theres different types of ppg paint i used there shopline system with the deltron clear and spent 284.00 in materials deltron would have taken me past 500.00

Attachments

• Picture0143.jpg
    Picture0143.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 37
Has anybody out there used the Summit Racing single stage urethane paint? Comments? Local paint store wants over $1200 for Dupont paint and primers. Summit about $400. How can that be?
I used single stage urethane for mine ... bought it from English Color ... PPG ... would paint another with it in a heart beat! Mine took a quart and then some and that was with 3 coats of color.

I was thinking of using this Starfire stuff from Trinity 1945 http://www.paintforc...s_starfire.html Found it on the the paintforcars site. Less that $200 for base coat / clear coat system, with everything needed. Only premixed color choices, but lot's of them. Anyone tried this Starfire stuff? The price it right, and I'm sure it goes on looking great, but will it hold up?

In theory, single stage does not require clear coating. I clear coated because I added flames, but single stage looks great when you shoot it the first time ... nice and wet looking. I found that the clear coating was the most expensive part of my project. I shot the single stage urethane in my driveway ... three coats. I let that sit for a week then used the gray scuff pad and went over the entire car. Masked it off for the flames, shot the flames with a pinch of pearl white and some clear coat ... waited 1 hour then shot 5 coats of clear. Waited another week ... scuffed with gray pad and then buffed it out. This was my first attempt at painting anything that didn't have numbers ... I am very pleased with it.

I spent months trying to figure out what to use and was darn sure I wasn't going to spend thousands of dollars on a paint job for a street machine. About drove me and everyone around me nuts until I decided on the single stage. Research the internet and you will find 10s of 1000s of stories and "experts" on the subject ... and 99% are full of <deleted>!

Set a budget and work within that. All the hard work is in the prep ... the actual painting took me less than 45 minutes for the color and the hardest part was getting the spray gun pattern adjusted right.

I have used the Summit paint on a friend's '27. He had bought the paint and asked me to shoot it for him. He had everything from primer to clear coat. I was rather skeptical of the outcome but agreed to do it as a favor for him. To my surprise, I found the entire system to be VERY user friendly. I would highly advise using the product.

Here is a picture of the outcome.

IMG_0770.jpg

Jim

P.S. From the smile on the owners face in the picture you can tell that he was very pleased with the outcome also.

I have used the Summit paint on a friend's '27. He had bought the paint and asked me to shoot it for him. He had everything from primer to clear coat. I was rather skeptical of the outcome but agreed to do it as a favor for him. To my surprise, I found the entire system to be VERY user friendly. I would highly advise using the product.

Here is a picture of the outcome.

IMG_0770.jpg

Jim

P.S. From the smile on the owners face in the picture you can tell that he was very pleased with the outcome also.

Extremely good thread, even though I haven't started my car yet, I'm doing a ton of planning right now-- from getting my garage/shop ready to the finish of what paint etc. Pictures on the net are hard to decipher for paint quality but that hotrod sure as heck does look really nice. Nice job, and yes the owner looks pleased as punch. Could you tell me the exact color, I definitely like it and would consider it.
Steve

With all the costs going through the roof lately, I wrote my good Friend and He also used to paint my own cars years back... He still is in the business.. I asked him about product and costs, here is his answer, he also is getting back with the cost it took to paint his Daughter;s car that hugger Orange... Like he said, I hope this helps.... :)
Ted,
You can also look at PPG's Omni line. It is repackaged 1st generation Deltron. They carry a full line from undercoats to top coats, for this hugger orange I would use the single stage. I painted my daughters car with this product last year in the central Florida sun with no garage it is holding up excellent. It color sands an polishes easily and application is a breeze. BASF (RM) has a product line called Limco, it is another very cost effective relabled line. Did my truck in GM 7475 red last year still looks like the day it was painted. Sikkens has Wanda, Dupont still has Centari, as well as Nason. Sherwin Williams has Western. Keystone has a full line as well. Hope this helps, Dave

Steve, the color used on that '27 was called Pomegranate. It really comes alive in the bright sunlight. One thing that I would suggest is that you buy an extra quart of reducer than what they suggest which is only 1 quart to do primer, base and clear. It does not cost that much more and you will get a lot better finish. I am a STRONG believer in using an entire product line from primer through finish coats because every manufacturer has different chemical formulas for their product and they may not be compatible with other manufacturers. Sure, they may look good for a while but over time things may change so stick with one manufacturer. IMHO

Jim

Thanks guys. Just what I needed to know. My wife says we have to use the Dark Candy Apple Red Metallic. I plan to use the single stage Acrylic Urethane.

Ex-Junk, the pic you provided is great. Shows just about what my 27T will look like when it's done. Tell me more about why using reducer. They say it isn't necessary. I would rather listen to the voice of experience than blindly follow instructions. By the way, my wife's daughter lives in Oviedo.

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks guys. Just what I needed to know. My wife says we have to use the Dark Candy Apple Red Metallic. I plan to use the single stage Acrylic Urethane.

Ex-Junk, the pic you provided is great. Shows just about what my 27T will look like when it's done. Tell me more about why using reducer. They say it isn't necessary. I would rather listen to the voice of experience than blindly follow instructions. By the way, my wife's daughter lives in Oviedo.

Thanks a bunch.

I like to have the paint a little thinner so that it flows out a little better. I don't make it excessively thinner but just enough to lessen my finish sanding before buffing.

Where abouts in Oviedo does your wife's daughter live? I live on Beverly Street which is off Lake Hayes Rd. which is off Alafaya (Rt. 434). We are about 3 miles from UCF (University of Central Florida). If she would like to have a ride in my T, let me know.

Jim

Hey Jim,

My wifes daughter lives between Winter Springs Blvd and the Tuscawilla Country Club. I'll let her know that she could get a ride. I'm sure her husband would be thrilled to go on one. Thanks.

I was hoping someone else would touch on this subject. The modern day paint booth is a DOWNDRAFT. Air coming from the ceiling

enters into a inside chamber and filters, and flows down onto the vehicle and rolls underneath entering the floor filtering system. All of today's

paints are designed for AIRFLOW. This simply means the paint won't dry properly without the air. The paint booth has a heater that

is controlled automatically through computer systems. The mill thickness has to be right, EXACT! Too thick, it will crack. Too thin,

you will rub through. Also, I can't-- EMPHASIZE STRONGLY ENOUGH ALL THE PAINT PRODUCTS ARE SUPER DANGEROUS!!

Gloves, shoot suits, AIR VENTILATION, HELMETS OR MASKS, ARE A MUST. I came on this thread only because this was my passion lifelong

career, or a part of, and I don't want to see any harm come to anyone. I know everyone wants to do as much as they can on their own vehicles.

All you guys living in southern states can use lacquers with clear coats and obtain the same results!? --- WELL, ALMOST.
Bob Nunes

A question about paint colors in general. I'm trying to figure out a two-color paint scheme for my build....one color for body/frame and another for suspension. This is so I can paint some items as I put them together for example drums and backing plates so I don't have to disassemble them again.

Does anyone know of a website with generic paint chips that can be used for comparisons?

another question....I was hoping to do my suspension in, what used to be called "gun metal blue". Could there be other names for this color?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back