Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T bucket floor material?

bclemans

Just bought a Big Boy body from Ron Pope Motorsports and will be glassing in the floor. I had planned on using 3/4" oak plywood with glass over that, but is there something else that is being used that works better. I want the best stiffness and strength I can get, as this is bolted to the frame.
First time T bucket builder here and I know I'll have a million more questions over the next year or so. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

When I bought my bucket body the floor was already glasses in. If I had to do it I suppose I would use marine grade plywood. The oak might be a bit overkill especially since the only oak is the thin layer of veneer probably less than 1/32 of an inch thick.

Should "prime" the plywood with resin only first, mix in the MINIMUM amount of hardener to give the resin time to soak in. Use laminating resin (non-wax) saves you the time of cleaning and sanding between layers, you can add wax to the final layer.

Rather than using wood, I'd go with one of the honeycomb composite materials that are commonly used to replace rotten transoms in the marine industry.

They are light, strong, rigid, do not absorb water/moisture, and glass-in very easily.

Many, if not most, of the bucket manufacturers use them now.

Thanks for the responses. What is the name of the honeycomb material? Also best place to find it. I live up near Seattle so there should be some boat/fiberglass materials close.

Thanks for the responses. What is the name of the honeycomb material? Also best place to find it. I live up near Seattle so there should be some boat/fiberglass materials close.

Nydacore and CoreMat come to mind, but there are others . . . watch some of the Spirit Cars videos, and they'll mention what it is that they use.

Someone will surely chime in here soon as well.

I have used the honeycomb in large aircraft, that's what the flooring is in newer aircraft very strong

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back