Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tall skinny tires needed

swatman260

Hey guys, I would image that this topic has been covered, but I've searched every way that I can think of and cant find and answer..
Does anyone have a suggestion for some nostalgic dirt track style tall skinny tires that wont break the bank? I love the look of Speedway's Tribute T with those Coker/Firestones, ,but those things are about $430 each, which is outside of my budget for a tire. I'd like something with a similar look, and in the area of 31"-33" diameter - maybe around 8" wide or so?? If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it.

I also wanted the same look but no way did I want that big of a chunk out of the budget. But I'll tell you what I found. You can get a bf Goodrich radial TA 255 70 15 for about $150 each. It's right at 29" tall. That's what I decided to go with. Coker bought the mold for the radial TA in a 285 70 15 and it is about 30 3/4 tall and about $225 each. You can look at the specs on tread width and section width and I believe exjunk has the 285's on his ride so you can see what they look like. He has several pictures in the photo gallery. Coker almost has the monopoly on all the specialty tires. The tread pattern for the radial TA looks good on the steal wheels to me and even have seen them on wires and still look really good. You can even get the TA in a 155 80 15 for the "big n little" look. May not quite have the look you are going for but a pile less money and a LOT BETTER tire.

I happened across an ad today for Excelsior tires today which are very similar. It appears they may also be a Coker brand, but are a little cheaper than the Coker/Firestones. Has anyone had any experience with the Excelsiors? They may be an option.

We put some Excelsiors on my Granddad's '57 Morgan (English sports car) a couple years ago. Decent tire Most of them are made in the US- the ones we bought I believe made in China though...

I wanted to run the 155 80 15 TAs on the front of mine, but the raised white letters are an eyesore. After a little research, I discovered the white can't be removed, so I bought something else.

I wanted to run the 155 80 15 TAs on the front of mine, but the raised white letters are an eyesore. After a little research, I discovered the white can't be removed, so I bought something else.

I agree on the white letters, they are UGLY. However, I masked them off and painted them with Krylon brand satin black and they look great.

Jim

Plain old "marks-a-lot " black markers[ the big fat ones] work well to black out raised white letters. Even though it's permanent ink , I still touch them up a couple times a season.
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back