Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The words "T-Bucket"

mikesplumbing

It's a real nice day in Wisconsin so I thought I would mess around with the rear end for the T Bucket project. I went to a place called Farm and Fleet to see if they had some lug nuts and the guy asked my what type of car so I said "It's from a 99 S-10" he then asked me what type of S-10 and I replied it's a for a 23 T-Bucket so and the type of S-10 doesn't matter.

Man.....It was amazing how all the people standing around got excited when I mention the words "T-Bucket". Everybody began asking questions and telling me how that is the coolest type of hot rod etc. etc.

I just thought it was pretty cool how everybody knows what that is. I've had many cool cars and so has other members of my family but somehow they have never built the excitment like the T Buckets do.

All you guys that have them are used to it I suppose, but it's the first time I ever mentioned "T Bucket" in public. That made me feel pretty excited about working on it and thought I would just share that.

T Buckets rule!!!!!

Mike

Actually, it may matter which S-10 you have. The earlier S-10s have SAE studs, but the later ones have metric. I don't know for sure what year they changed... I want to say '98 or '99.

I usually hate it when the kids in the auto parts store ask me what kind of car I have. A 23 T-Bucket usually gets me a HUH, A WHAT?

I know what you mean with the kid behind the counter at the parts store. I brought in a hose that went to the heater core 2 weeks ago. The kid behind the counter said, "Needing some fuel line huh?" I asked for another clerk.

With the two trikes I had and with the car project, I'm trying to keep detailed notes of each part's model years. That way future kids behind the counter will be able to locate the right part.

Just wait for the attention you get when driving one. People are looking sometimes and not paying attention and swerve.

As far as my neighborhood goes, I may as well be driving a flying saucer. The older guys at the two auto parts stores I go to "get it", so they usually jump over to help me or just tell me to go and find what I want. See, my neighborhood is Ricer and Donk land. If it doesn't have a fart muffler or 24" rims and a BOOM box in the trunk, they "Don't get it". So, when asked what I have, T Bucket leaves them looking confused and bewildered. I had one customer swear I had a deuce because of the '31 grill shell. I let him slide.... a little. Except for an old guy with a '32 roadster, I'm the only hot rod in a 20 mile radius. Which is kinda cool, because in a way "I've got the fastest car in the valley". Except we don't have a valley.

On the flip side, the looks and stares are priceless. I know for a FACT, that no matter where I go, I won't see a car like mine sitting at the stoplight across from me. Those moments make it all worth while. In a way, it's about freedom. The freedom of being an individual. I missed it for a while, but it's better than ever. I pull in to get gas and it's 15 minutes before I can leave without being rude to the people who ask questions or comment.

For you guys who have had more than one hot rod or T Bucket, this may all sound corny, but these are truly dream machines. For you guys working on the first, the road awaits. Get her done. You'll never be the same afterwards. Trust me on that.

As always Fred covered all the bases.

I like going to the parts store, and when they hit the computer I tell them "it's a 1923 Ford Model T with a Small block Chevy engine, S-10 rear end, 28-48 Ford Spindles with Chevy disc brakes, Camaro seat, Blazer column, and a Vega steering box... (dramatic pause) that computer ain't gonna help you one bit. Come take a look at it!)

If you couldn't drive it there, take a picture or three.

When i say "T-Bucket" the reply i usually get is "I don't know what that is".

When i needed a voltage regulator for mine i went to the local NAPA store, laid it on the counter, told the counter guy "I have no idea what it's off of. It's for my T-Bucket". No problem. He just looked it up by the part number.

T-Odd said:
As always Fred covered all the bases.

I like going to the parts store, and when they hit the computer I tell them "it's a 1923 Ford Model T with a Small block Chevy engine, S-10 rear end, 28-48 Ford Spindles with Chevy disc brakes, Camaro seat, Blazer column, and a Vega steering box... (dramatic pause) that computer ain't gonna help you one bit. Come take a look at it!)

If you couldn't drive it there, take a picture or three.

I do about the same thing and then I get what I call "The Deer in the Headlight look". If I can't find a parts "man" (someone that looks over 50) I don't waste my time. The local Advance Auto Parts see me coming in now and they say.."go find what you need". A local NAPA has a 60+ y/o manager and still keeps the old parts book rack. If he's not there they tell me to help myself. :rolleyes:

tfeverfred said:
As far as my neighborhood goes, I may as well be driving a flying saucer. The older guys at the two auto parts stores I go to "get it", so they usually jump over to help me or just tell me to go and find what I want. See, my neighborhood is Ricer and Donk land. If it doesn't have a fart muffler or 24" rims and a BOOM box in the trunk, they "Don't get it". So, when asked what I have, T Bucket leaves them looking confused and bewildered. I had one customer swear I had a deuce because of the '31 grill shell. I let him slide.... a little. Except for an old guy with a '32 roadster, I'm the only hot rod in a 20 mile radius. Which is kinda cool, because in a way "I've got the fastest car in the valley". Except we don't have a valley.

On the flip side, the looks and stares are priceless. I know for a FACT, that no matter where I go, I won't see a car like mine sitting at the stoplight across from me. Those moments make it all worth while. In a way, it's about freedom. The freedom of being an individual. I missed it for a while, but it's better than ever. I pull in to get gas and it's 15 minutes before I can leave without being rude to the people who ask questions or comment.

For you guys who have had more than one hot rod or T Bucket, this may all sound corny, but these are truly dream machines. For you guys working on the first, the road awaits. Get her done. You'll never be the same afterwards. Trust me on that.
This is very true and I feel the same way! Ive about got my choice of prime chevrolet stuff to cruise in BUT I love my hotrod.. Even when some folks compliment me on the cool dune buggy.. lolol we forgive the uninformed. What you just said is so true, and the journey is soooo worth it.

I know what your talking about. You always get that deer in the headlight look.

Eric

I once had a guy at a gas station tell me he used to have a Dune Buggy just like mine.

Geez whats with all these stories about people not knowing what a bucket is. Has the Jap Tuners had that must infiltration.

Mike

I once had a guy at a gas station tell me he used to have a Dune Buggy just like mine.

You guys can mock me all you want on my build, but at least it won't be confused for a DUNE BUGGY. :D

mikesplumbing said:
Geez whats with all these stories about people not knowing what a bucket is. Has the Jap Tuners had that must infiltration.

Mike

It's really sad, I have a new neighbor that's an auto shop teacher at a local high school. He's about 30 years old and when he heard me running my bucket this year he came over to look at it. He never saw anything like it and if you heard some of the questions he asked you would have never known he was an auto shop teacher. He can talk about computers and turbo chargers but that's about it. Computer diagnostics is the major part of his lesson plan, I doubt 1/2 his class could trouble shoot a lawn mower that wouldn't start. When his kids talk about hot rodding it's expensive wheels, computer tuning and NOS.

jbisme said:
You guys can mock me all you want on my build, but at least it won't be confused for a DUNE BUGGY. :shrug:
it WILL happen... lolol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back