Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Thoughts about TBucket rear suspension

TRoadster

There are two different types of rear end setups used in most buckets, solid axle and independent. Independent set aside, hairpins/radius rods and 4 link are the most popular for solid axle mounting. There are pros and cons to each and everyone has their opinion on which is the better. So without getting into an argument, which do you like and why? Which do you dislike?

Hairpins, radius rods and ladder bars all work somewhat the same. Whether you mount them on the outside of the frame, underneath or angled inward to a crossbar, they all seem to work on our lightweight cars. This is a much heated topic on other forums were and how to mount and or to use them or not. The 4 link guys dont like them. The old timers do. Everyone else is somewhere in between.

4 link can be parallel or triangulated. Both work. Engineering from scratch is a little more involved then buying them in a kit or weld-on ready. They dont look old school which is why many dont like them but well built 4 link rear suspension can handle a lot of hp.

Alot of it is personal preference. Some of it is style. They all work well but may look out of place depending on the theme of your car. Chrome coil overs and 4 bars don't look good when you want the car to reflect the '50s. However, if you are tying to be modern in your approach, they'll look great.

I used a simple adjustable 4 link with a "wishbone" type locator. It is very similar to what is used on many drag cars so it is designed to handle horsepower. By being adjustable you are able to vary how the car "hooks up" under hard acceleration. I have close to 10K miles on this set up and am very pleased with it.

IMG_0650.jpg

Ex Junk,

You've tantalized us with a few great detail shots of your beauty. How about backing up a few feet and giving us a view from the front? ;)

Track T-4, is this what you had in mind?

IMG_0666_2.jpg

Hey where is your snow even though it is raining in northern Wi now? Thats right You don't get snow you get miserable hot in summer.

I had ENOUGH of cold, lousy weather! When I retired, out of northeast Ohio, I told everyone that the only snow that I ever want to see again is bad reception on my TV set.

Ahhhh, lookin' good. :thumbsup: Ok, now raise the camera about 5 feet and give us a shot about 45 degrees off the front tire. :lol:

I want to see the whole car!!! From all angles!!! :drool::drool::drool::lol::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::lol: Nice, Very NICE!!!

Track T-4, this is about as close to what you requested as I had on file. I hope that it is what you wanted.

IMG_0672_2.jpg

T4TWO, here are some shots that you requested.

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

If you think Ex-Junk's car looks good in the pictures, you should see it in person... WOW! If you put it and "donsrods" T together in the same place, you could spend all day looking at their details. Both cars are very unique in their execution and both beautifully done.:lol:

Thank You Ex, I now can continue with my day! Time to go outside and continue with my build! Thanks for sharing, Sweet ride!!!

Thank you everyone for all the kind words.

WOW!!!! That chassis is just about as pretty as those pictures of naked double-breasted mattress thrashers that show up in Playboy on a monthly basis that I have hanging on my garage walls. I may have to print one of these out and put it up with them.

EX JUNK said:
Track T-4, this is about as close to what you requested as I had on file. I hope that it is what you wanted.

IMG_0672_2.jpg

Your car is beyond gorgeous! I especially love the fact it's built long enough to have a drive shaft that's more than 10" long. :eek:

David

Ex Junk,
Gorgeous! Worth the wait! :lol: :D An exceptional bucket.

A couple of questions: What engine trans are you running,what size/brand tires and what is the small oval-shaped thingie sitting low and in front of the radiator?

Bruce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back