Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tie Rods ?

KPoole9008

After looking at numerous pictures of Tbucket, I have noticed that most tie rods are mounted low in front of the axle, some are mounted up above the axle and some are mounted low behind the axle. Are there advantages to one way of mounting over the other and if so what is the difference?

I have mine mounted behind, probably the biggest reason to mount them behind is to protect it from getting bent as any little bump will bend it.

I started with a Spirit body and chassis, they mount the tie rod behind the axel, but I found that the tie rod would run into the spring shakles, limiting the the angle of the steering. So I replaced the steering armsand tie rod suplied by Spirit with arms that mount the tie rod out front so that I can get full lock on the steerinig gearbox as my bucket has a long wheelbase. That And I like the way it looks with all the mecanical parts showing.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/gallery/image/432-166jpg/

After looking at numerous pictures of Tbucket, I have noticed that most tie rods are mounted low in front of the axle, some are mounted up above the axle and some are mounted low behind the axle. Are there advantages to one way of mounting over the other and if so what is the difference?

It depends on which steering arms you as to where the tie rod goes in order for the ackerman angle to be correct.

Ackerman Angle

For correct ackerman, you draw a line through the center of the kingpin and through the center of the tie rod end. The extended lines must intersect at the center of the rear end. This is most easily done with the tie rod behind the axle. With the tie rod in front of the axle, the steering arms have to be bent out towards the wheel. In some cases it is impossible to put the tie rod out far enough to achieve correct ackerman. However, many guys (Total Performance) are using this configuration and do not feel the it is detrimental to handling. As far as tie rod above or below the axle, geometrically it doesn't make any difference. Mostly it depends on clearance for other components. Also the length of the steering arms behind the axle is not critical unless it is so short that it becomes a straight line in full lock turns.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back