Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tilt Column

Johnny

Newby questions here
Does everybody use a tilt column? Some of them, I've seen, look too long and are too close to driver. How long are the columns ? Does anyone use a no tilt with a detachable steering wheel ??:confused::confused:

Also, how does the column drop attach to the dash? How do you decide how many inches of drop you need?

Thanks, Guys

I just decided to upgrade my steering column to one with a detachable wheel. (Speedway #910-32310) The UPS guy delivered it yesterday but I haven't installed it yet. I had a 2 1/2" drop for over 40 years and changed that out earlier this year for a 5". Both my old and new column is 26". I just figure these changes would make it a little easier getting this 66 year old body in and out of the bucket (no doors).

I thought the same thing at first but I have mine installed and it seems to be alright.In the up position it seems a little high.I talked to one guy and he had his clocked slightly to the right to give you more room getting in.As for the mounting I called spirit and they said a small piece of angle iron bolted to the drop down and one button head bolt through the dash to the angle iron would be good on their bodies.I used two on mine I figure that if one is good two would be better. I hope this helps

Gents, do you have any photos of what you are referring to? As they say, a picture is worth, well you know...

Steel Steering Column
I used this column 40" #6 probably would have been fine but wanted to clear my long legs.
91032311_L.jpg

Steering Column Lower Mount, Ball Swivel - 1 3/4 Inch

4464050_L.jpg

This through firewall

Ididit 2310000040 Ididit Steering Column to Dash Swivel Drop Mount
535-2310000040.jpg
This as a column mount

I started to shorten a tilt gm column. from the donor chevy , 3 tubes shorten, (column shift) made new bushings,, had to build special pullers etc, after 3 evenings threw it back in the parts pile. ..We help the local wrecker crush cars in exchange for parts..... last time I picked up a couple of late model Cad tilt- telescoping columns. they are from FWD cars and short enough for a Bucket..have cable shift from column to trans. I would like to find and antique fat man wheel at a price I thought was resonable but bought the speedway racing wheel thing for another car.

I used a tilt telescope column from a Ford Falcon, the whole thing including the adjuster bracket and clamp lever. For the shaft I used a Borgeson telescoping double "D" because the shaft length changes as the column assy goes up and down and in and out. (the standard one uses the 9/16" splines for this, but here our engineering rules for home builts require all spline joints to be double 1/4" setscrew or roll pin locked) All I have to do is make a lower pivot, which is the hard bit, seems.

Johnny: I used a flaming river 28" tilt column (1-3/4" dis) on my '27 build. It does help as it allows for a more comfortable driving position while allowing you to get out of a fairly cramped space. For the floor drop, I just got a piece of muffler tubing that the column just slipped through and welded some mounting tabs on it (after I found the right position). The side exposed on the firewall was seam sealed to the firewall and painted. The column drop support is some 3/4" sq. tubing hanging from my under dash support (glassed to the body) with muffler clamp. I painted the "U" but you can get SS steel ones and polish it. Maybe cost $3? You can barely see it in the car and once painted out it blends in. Anyhow, I like the flaming river columns as they have the GM plug and they std ones have tubes made of SS. I painted the column interior color in the inside, and polished the part that stick out. Looks sweet. One word of caution, I mocked it up with an old GM wheel that had a dish to it. I put a flat wheel on it which changed the position a bit. It also is tight when turning as your fingers hit the turn signal stick. I'm going to make a longer adapter between the column and wheel to remedy this. It wasn't really a problem on the PowerTour, but with additional spacer, it will be back to where I wanted it. Here are a few pics to illustrate:

Jmo on Ben T car his wheel is between his knees on my bucket there was a short tilt column that i took out to install a straight one. Now there is more leg room due to the 40 inch column wheel is between knees and chest. Took a little getting used to driving but like it now.

My intention is not to have the wheel between the knees. When I get the wheel out farther, it should be above the knees which it what it was my my mockup. As I said in my previous email, that needs to be corrected. With the door that my T has, it is almost a necessity to have a tilt wheel to get in comfortably...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back