Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Time to stand up again

Mike

OK, people, big business and the Net-ignorant idiots on Capitol Hill are at it again. And the target remains the same as all the nonsense bills they have been trying to ramrod over the last few years - the Internet and how you access it.

In a nutshell, people are cutting the cords, right and left. Who needs a phone line, when they have a mobile phone, or VoIP? Who needs a cable company, when they have NetFlix or Hulu? So the cable companies are seeing their largest competitor is not the other cable companies, rather it is the Internet. And they have every intention of slowing things down, to a point where sites that cannot afford to pay premium prices for premium bandwidth will end up going down the plughole. Even if it means they need to crawl in bed with each other (ala the Comcast / Time Warner merger), they intend to take away your choice, as well as the freedom for all companies to access the Internet, equally.

This is very real. Scary real. I want each one of you to take the time to watch this video. Yes, it is done by a comedian, yes, his language is a bit colorful, but his message about what is happening and what is going to happen, if we stand by and do naught, is crystal-clear.

The joke he makes about Apple hiding a copy of Mein Kampf inside the iTunes agreement should be one that really strikes home for each and every one of us who fails to read every word of the fine print.

I'm going to make it easy for you to make your voice heard. Don't worry about trying to copy down that address John Oliver showed you, just click THIS LINK and add your name to the list of people who want Net Neutrality.

If you do not understand the concept of Net Neutrality, it is time for you to learn -

Net Neutrality is the Internet’s guiding principle: It preserves our right to communicate freely online.

Net Neutrality means that the cable/telecom companies must provide us with open networks — and should not block or discriminate against any applications or content that ride over those networks. Just as your phone company cannot decide who you could call and what you say on that call, your ISP should not be concerned with what content you view or post online.

Net Neutrality is what enables the Internet to be such a hotbed for innovation. If you bring a new service online, the cable/telecom companies should deliver it just like they’d deliver content from a corporate behemoth like Google or NBC.

Net Neutrality is what gives every startup the same chance to reach customers and users as any existing company. Simply, without Net Neutrality, startups and small business will be subject to discrimination based on a pay-to-play Internet, and the open Internet and the economic growth it has represented will be at risk.

Just let me say if you think companies like Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, and AT&T are not positioning themselves to strip away Net Neutrality, then you are drinking far too much of the Kool-Aid. Let's be honest enough to see and admit that for Internet Service Providers to discriminate between different kinds of content will first mean they will be getting a lot more invasive with their monitoring of what you are doing online. And make no mistake about it - the complete, absolute, and utter disappointment sitting in our Oval Office is doing everything he can to make sure you lose more of your freedoms.

Just one, quick reminder, before I cut you loose - if you do not care enough about this to make your voice heard, who do you suppose will be speaking for you?

We're only 3 days away from the Great Internet Slowdown, on 10 September, so I hope all of you are supporting the project. A lot of video streaming sites will be internally throttling their own streams, so everyone will get a glimpse of what things will be like, if the cable companies get their way. We, the people. are the only thing standing in the way of the cable companies violating Net Neutrality, so it is up to us.

Per Mike..."you, just click THIS LINK and add your name to the list of people who want Net Neutrality."

Mike,

Guess I'm one of the reason the internet is slow in my neighborhood. I have clicked of the noted places only to get a repeat of the complete message but I have not been able to find a place to sign on. That's why I still have a dial phone at my shop. Guess I'll just write my so called US Congressmen.

Not A Clue George

George, just click on that link and give it a second to load everything in. The petition form will appear, dead-center in your browser.

View attachment 10348

I tried that but guess I didn't wait long enough for it to download. I'm at the library now with a T1 system and it is a pure rocket ship so I guess I got impatient. Will try again. I'll let you know how it turns out. I still will contact those that are suppose to be looking out for my best interest. I do send them my feelings on a number of issues so I do have their addresses handy. Thanks.

George

Mike,

Still hasn't loaded but I got to thinking (A dangerous process for sure) and I think the library may have something that filters or blocks these types of deals. I'll check with the hall monitor and see if I'm being monitored when I leave. I will log in Monday and try it from the shop. I'll get there one way or another.

George

George, if you are using a library's connection, they may be blocking javascript, which would prevent the menu from showing.
Mike,

You were correct. Soon as I got on the shop internet it loaded immediately. Signed away and will still let my "for the people" congressmen know my feelings.

Speed is Power! Maybe they don't want you to have any power./
When you start comparing U.S. online access with offerings from other countries, we typically have the slowest and most-expensive connections going. Users in Japan enjoy 61 mbps speeds, and only pay 27¢ per mbps per month. Here, in the good. ol' U.S.of A., we average 4.8 mpbs, at an average cost of $3.33 per mpbs per month.

Can you imagine a connection that is 15 times faster, yet is still on 1/10th of the cost? Yeah. Me neither.

As of 7:14 PM Eastern, 4,931,990 had added their names to the Net Neutrality petition. And the number of comment submissions to the FCC Web site brought that site to its knees, shutting it down, completely. At one point, earlier today, there were as many as 1,000 phone calls, per MINUTE, choking the Congressional switchboard. Keep making your voices heard, people!

Well, some of the numbers are finally in, from Wednesday.

There were a total of 312,171 phone calls made, in support of Net Neutrality.
2,332,092 e-mails were sent to Congress.
777.364 comments were posted to the FCC Web site.
There were 1,120,000 Facebook shares for the cause.
Over 40,000 Web sites participated in the event.

But we are going to have to stay atop of all this, because the cable company lobbyists didn't pack their bags and leave Washington. So this issue is not going to go away, as if by magic.

Mike,

Got this back yesterday and thought you might be interested. I guess we'll see how he does.

George

Yoder%20E-Format%20Banner.jpg

October 2, 2014

Dear Mr. Cathey,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding net neutrality and the FCC. It is an honor to serve the people of Kansas in the United States Congress and your communication is a vital part of our legislative process.

Like you, I believe the internet is an important resource in the everyday lives of Americans and people throughout the world. Regulation or imposed restriction on the Internet must be carefully considered for the significant impact it might have on the freedom, economic, and social implications it may have.

As you know, on February 19, 2014, the FCC announced plans to attempt to re-implement rules against blocking or discriminating internet content using their authority under section 706 of the Telecommunications Act. The Judiciary confirmed that the FCC has some regulatory powers under this section, but ruled that it had exceeded its limits with the previously imposed Open Internet Order. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has said that the new proposal, to be released later this year, will attempt to react to the recent Verizon v. FCC ruling.

In that decision the court ruled the FCC overreached in barring broadband providers from slowing or blocking selected Web traffic. The FCC rules, which the Commission may rewrite, required wired high-speed Internet providers to treat all traffic equally and disclose their network practices.The court also rejected Verizon's position that the FCC doesn't have jurisdiction over broadband access.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns and I will keep your thoughts in mind should this issue come before the House of Representatives. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of service.

Sincerely,

Kevin Yoder

Member of Congress

I've seen a few similar letters popping up, here and there. I'm yet to hear back from my representative, who likely doesn't want to open any lines of communication he doesn't have to open! :sneaky: I've found people do not like it when documented evidence can prove them wrong, and apparently my representative is a person. Much to my astonishment, mind. ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back