Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tire pressure question

C

counselor

I just bought new tires for my car. They are Mickey Thompson S/R radials. The front are 26x6x15 and the rear are 29x15x15. The shop that mounted them recommended 30 in the front and 20 in the rear. I'm new to this and was wondering what pressures some of you run in your tires. Thanks. Kev

I just bought new tires for my car. They are Mickey Thompson S/R radials. The front are 26x6x15 and the rear are 29x15x15. The shop that mounted them recommended 30 in the front and 20 in the rear. I'm new to this and was wondering what pressures some of you run in your tires. Thanks. Kev

Depends totally on how heavy the car is. If its a 1500lb Bucket, IMHO you are way over pressure in the front and a bit over in the back.

How heavy at each end is the car?. Knowing the corner weights is a vital first step in setting the suspension up, and a vital part of suspension setup is tar pressure.

An over inflated tar rides hard, has poor grip, and bounces, putting unreasonable load on the shocks.

I'm running 29x15.50-15 M/T Sportsman bias ply and BFG 195.6515's on my T-Buck with 20 psi in back and 25 psi in front. It seems to ride fairly well at that pressure.

Just kind of curious as to what the recommended pressure is on the side of your M/T's. Mine says 20 psi cold.

Keep in mind that what works well in mine might not work in yours. I would use the tar shops recommendations as a base line and start fine tuning from there.

I find that by spinning the rear tires on a good flat surface, then checking the black pattern, can tell you a lot, same with stopping hard, ck the fronts that way, look for an even pattern all the way across, light in the center, a bit more pressure is needed... real dark in the center and lighter at the edges, is too much pressure... Good luck, and safe riding :bubble:

Hi Ted, how ya doing?

Hey Ted! Enjoy reading your posts, glad your back.
<

Joe

Hey Ted! Enjoy reading your posts, glad your back.
<

Joe
Sorry I thought the new forum was a bit hard, till I messed with it a while, not as bad as I first thought... I have been working on a few new projects, so I have not been here for some time.. Will try and get back more often now that I think I have this figured out a bit more.. hehe Plus I seem to disagree a bit too much with a lot of the guys, I have to learn how to make my opinions less personal sounding, as I do not want anyone to feel attacked by me... I am real hard headed in the way I build things, if someone wanted me to build something their way, and I did not think it was right, I sent them on their way... Let someone else build it... the money is not that important to me... Hope everyone has a much better 2010, can't get much worse than last year as far as values of most every thing goes... (in the toilet):bubble:

Welcome back Ted. I always like to hear your slant on building. It's ok to disagree as long as someone benifits from it.

Ron

Sorry I thought the new forum was a bit hard, till I messed with it a while, not as bad as I first thought... I have been working on a few new projects, so I have not been here for some time.. Will try and get back more often now that I think I have this figured out a bit more.. hehe Plus I seem to disagree a bit too much with a lot of the guys, I have to learn how to make my opinions less personal sounding, as I do not want anyone to feel attacked by me... I am real hard headed in the way I build things, if someone wanted me to build something their way, and I did not think it was right, I sent them on their way... Let someone else build it... the money is not that important to me... Hope everyone has a much better 2010, can't get much worse than last year as far as values of most every thing goes... (in the toilet):bubble:
Welcome back Ted, glad to hear you have been busy. Old age and experience bring a certain amount cantankerousness. Web sites can be like the jungle where there is a lot of offensive and defensive growling to establishthe "pecking order". And the order is always changing. Don't worry too much about how you present yourself, just be yourself.

John

P.S. Youngster, hope you didn't take offense to my remark a while ago about being "old". We 're both the same age.

Welcome back Ted. Its good to see everyone's slant on building cars. If everyone did everything the same all cars would look the same.

no harm .... no foul john ... lol

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back