Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Too much time on their hands

While I can't help but admire the work involved, I'm not sure I'd want exhaust flowing into my face.:confused:

The caddy flathead in the 40s had the exhaust on top 346 cid would be a super tbucket engine but imagine a set of headers on top of the engine :eek:

Now that's what I call thinking outside of the box.

tfeverfred said:
While I can't help but admire the work involved, I'm not sure I'd want exhaust flowing into my face.:confused:

That's funny Fred! One backfire, and you've got no eyebrows. :eek:

Mike said:
Didn't Crower do a reverse-flow head like that for an Indy 500 effort one year?

Yup.................

Heat rises.......so if ya like stacks.........ehy.......its cool...........

I'm into diff. stuff like that...........
Pratically 0 retriction going into the engine...........
The same coming out...........
Yes........there's a bit of work involved...........but its cool...........

Ever see the old Radial aircraft engines???????Theres one where the crank stands still and the engine itself rotates.............yep...........

Mango.........your one of the aircraft guys..........tell us about it........

Then theres the upside down V8 flathead...........now thats wierd!

100_0322.jpg

Wouldnt this be cool in bucket ? pic was taken at sema a year or two ago.

LKE said:
100_0322.jpg

Wouldnt this be cool in bucket ? pic was taken at sema a year or two ago.

Yep......only thing would bekinda hard on the windshield!!!!!!!:lol:

Hey Screamin' thats a Rotary Engine. The crank case and cylinders flew round a fixed crankshaft. The exhaust valve was in the cylinder head and the inlet valve was in the piston crown which let the fuel mix in the crank case up into the cylinder. It was the best way to save weight back then, the cylinders flying round helped cooling.
Google "Le Rhone Rotary Engine".
I've seen one flying at a show in a 1909 Bleriot monoplane, the guy chugged around never more than 4 feet above ground. Not for me.

Wild Mango said:
Hey Screamin' thats a Rotary Engine. The crank case and cylinders flew round a fixed crankshaft. The exhaust valve was in the cylinder head and the inlet valve was in the piston crown which let the fuel mix in the crank case up into the cylinder. It was the best way to save weight back then, the cylinders flying round helped cooling.
Google "Le Rhone Rotary Engine".
I've seen one flying at a show in a 1909 Bleriot monoplane, the guy chugged around never more than 4 feet above ground. Not for me.

Yea Mango, first time I saw that one.....:eek:.....I looked at it and told my friend........'now THAT had to come outta a one week drunk........'

Hey.....it did look different........I didn't know they did it for weight and cooling until I started doing all the engine stuff and completely emersed myself in it.........

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back