Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Perf. interior

TexasT

Hey Guys, I have a question. Has anybody used the Total seat insert? I finally got mine yesterday with no instructions, bunch of different size screws and a small can of what seems to be some kinda of glue and also 4 wood blocks. Can anyone help me with this

Good luck !!! :eek::lol: We put a TP kit into my Son's TP body, and it was one of the worst jobs we ever undertook. Yours might not be as bad because we saw their latest interior kit at Daytona and they finally wised up and made it a little nicer and easier to install. If you have one of the latest ones you might be ok. We bought ours two years ago, evidently right before they made that change.

Here is what we ran into. First off all, the foam in the backrest is about 4 times thicker than it needs to be. If you used it the way they designed it you would be leaning forward at the shoulders because the foam makes a huge roll at the top. We used an electric kitchen knife and cut the foam much thinner. We also had to go to a local upholstery shop and buy more fabric because the way they do the side panels is horrible. We completely reengineered it and made the sides a separate panel from the back. It was the only way we could get the wrinkles out.

Finally, after three of us working four days straight, we got it passable, but now the staples are starting to poke through in spots because the vinyl is so thin. My Son thought he was doing the right thing to buy their kit, but he now wishes he had just paid an upholstery shop to do it for him. Also , the carpeting is very cheap IMO. With the almost $ 1000 we paid for the kit and the extra $ 400 we spent locally to buy more glue, material, and other stuff, we could have gotten a much better job. He is going to tear it out somewhere down the road and have it done by a pro.

Don

Oh, and don't even ask me about that stupid cover for the bed !! That was another story altogether. You used to be able to download instructions from their website, but since they have been bought out, I'm not sure you can do that now.

Re the lack of instructions, do you have a copy of the Total assembly manual? The interior instructions aren't that great, but they certainly will help. If not, let us know.
1923_t_assembly.jpg

I have the manual but they have no instructions for the insert interior. The interior you guys are talking about is the tradional interior, I have heard of nightmares with that interior, but mine is the one that has the fiberglass insert

TexasT,
I have the Total insert in my car but I had them install it before they shipped the body because I wasn't too sure about my fiberglassing skills. I don't have the upholstry kit for it yet ($$$). Just sitting on a gel center wheel chair seat pad.
If you go out to the FAQ section on Total's website and scroll down there is a picture showing the insert being installed. The insert goes under the body lip and the blocks go between the rear bottom of the seat and the floor to provide support. After the glass cures you take tke the screws out and fill the holes.
I am in McAllen, hope to come up for one of the S.A crusie nights this summer.

Good luck on the build.

Dale

Hoping to have ya visit S.A. There are a few happings on Friday nites. Appreciate the info and by the way how do you get to the body mounts in the back once its glassed in

TexasT said:
Hoping to have ya visit S.A. There are a few happings on Friday nites. Appreciate the info and by the way how do you get to the body mounts in the back once its glassed in
Lumen Al should still have Mickeys phone number in Florida.Call him and will give you any help you need.Or Ron (RPM) has it

I talked to them today and they wanted to argue with me saying the instructions were in their manual and they are not. Then theygive me the number to one of the guys at the coolflex store which was the old TP store and he didnt have the foggiest idea what went where and how. All I have to say is I never had any luck dealing with that company and its Spirit for now on!

Mickey couldnt even tell me the back spacing on front wheels that they supply the brakes and spindles for!

TexasT,

There should be a hole in the bottom of each seat that you can drop the bolt through to go into the rubber well nut in the frame or you may have to drill it yourself. You can us a socket with a magnetic insert on an extension to hold the bolt when you drop it in. The support block under the back of seat is only about six inches wide so you can get to the bolt hole from underneath the car too.

rooster57 said:
Wonder why they are out of buisness.

To be honest, my opinion is simple, Spirit took a ton of their potential business by simply building a better product... and offering better customer service... these two things will put you out of business all day long if you're not listening to what is happening in your business / industry.

Hey WDP. I noticed by sitting in my bucket that the steering column seems like its goin to be face level when sitting down. Its the column that came with the car. How is yours?

If I remember correctly they supply a shorter column and shaft when you order the insert vs the bench seat. The insert seats you a little bit lower than the bench. I am 5'11 and with my setup I can rest my arm on the edge of the body and hold the wheel at about 7 o'clock. I'll measure the column tomorrow and post here so you can compare yours.

:sad: jeez, talk about kicking someone when they are down, I bought my basic kit from total on 4/1/04. everything worked great, they were always helpful,knowledgeable, and courteous. i ended up buying 85% of my car from them. the quality of the products were right on and the build was easier than i expected. My hats off to Brian and Mickey for all the help and guidence they gave me. I wish them the best of luck in the future and hope they stay in the hobby, somehow

P.S. I installed the diamond tuft interior myself, including cutting it up for the door i cut in, and it worked out fine

jersey jim petrucci:D

jersey jim said:
:sad: jeez, talk about kicking someone when they are down, I bought my basic kit from total on 4/1/04. everything worked great, they were always helpful,knowledgeable, and courteous. i ended up buying 85% of my car from them. the quality of the products were right on and the build was easier than i expected. My hats off to Brian and Mickey for all the help and guidence they gave me. I wish them the best of luck in the future and hope they stay in the hobby, somehow

P.S. I installed the diamond tuft interior myself, including cutting it up for the door i cut in, and it worked out fine

jersey jim petrucci:D

Jersey... I really didn't say anything bad about TP, I just said they've been out serviced and let other produce a better product at a better price... That is not a recipe for ongoing success...

For the record, I've had a great rapport with Brian... My only issue with them was the front disk pads (for wire wheels) disintegrating in less than 3,000 miles... Polished Aluminum caliper was trashed, and my Polished SS drilled rotor was gouged beyond repair... not to mention that I rolled through the light as the piston was scraping the rotor! Net result, had to buy new caliper, two new polished SS rotors (keep wear marks same) and for my consideration they shipped it for free... (Not exactly what I would call customer service).... I now keep a 2 spare set of pads in the garage and I inspect them every 2000 miles...

TexasT,
My column is 22" from the base to the top of the tube measured on the top side of the tube.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back