Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Towing a T, ?

akitagandy

This may sound stupid but here goes. When towing a T on a trailer do you put it in park or nutral? I was told to put it in nutral because it would mess up the park gear, info please

This may sound stupid but here goes. When towing a T on a trailer do you put it in park or nutral? I was told to put it in nutral because it would mess up the park gear, info please

I leave mine in park and I only have hauled it about 50,000 miles with no problems yet...........

You probably just haven't hauled it far enough yet. LOL

I tow mine in park as well as all the race cars I have had over the years. No problems at all.

I drive onto my trailer which has front wheel plates, and then put it into park and tie the car down. Havent done 50,000 miles tho so I would listen to LincolnuT :smile:

It should be strapped down good enuf that it shouldn't move.. If it moves around enuf to damage the park-paw then you got bigger problems then the transmission lol.

Motion is what brakes straps and hold downs.

I put mine in park and set the parking/emergency brake, then strap down all four corners. A guy in our club had a bad experience due to his T not being in park when he was unloading it (he didn't have a parking/e-brake). Getting ready to unload his T, he had parked on a slight hill with the back of the trailer pointing down-hill. When he undid the last strap, the T rolled backwards off the trailer, across a parking lot and over a three-foot revetment next to a busy main street during rush hour. Fortunately, the T got high-centered on the revetment and stopped before it rolled into the street. Tore up the tranny pan and rear radius rods, but that was it. He said he normally put the T in park on the trailer, but someone had apparently put it in neutral during his lunch stop.

I might add that I also cross the straps. By that I mean, the strap on the left side of the car goes to the right side "D" on the trailer and vice versa. By doing this you are limiting the movement of you car inside the trailer. I also do not tie down to the frame of the car but rather to the axle. The reason for this is that the suspension allows the car to move up and down as your trailer bounces along on the road creating a loose condition on the straps thus causing the car to move around in the trailer.

Jim

Towing your 'T'??? I am confused, what happened, did it break down? Sorry to hear you had to tow it... Hope it's fixed now... :whip: (The devil made me do it.)

I'm waiting for someone to show up with a rollback for their T, complete w/electric winch, storage space, maybe even a top & sides.

John

There's a Rod run in Morro Bay every year. I would say 10% of the guys trailer, and the other 90% have fun. :) I'm new here, but I'm not a trailer guy. Build them and enjoy them. T-buckets, anyway, don't want to see a 330 mile, 1/4 mile dragster running down the freeway. Hee! Hee! On a serious note, put the car in park.
ouch.gif

My excuses for having a trailer...

> Good secure, weather-proof place to park your hot rod when travelling to and from the Nats.
> When your hot rod gets 6 mpg and your tow vehicle gets 12 mpg... well do the math.
> I like to have all my tools and spare parts with me... I could rebuild my T with what I have in my trailer.
> Good place to work on your hot rod when it's raining.
> Good place to store/haul your EZ-Up, EZ-Up sand bags, spare tires, half-dozen camp chairs, two ice chests, floor jack, jack stands, 5-gallon gas can (yes, I've run out of gas with the tow rig!!), 47 speed merchant decals on the walls, on-board 110v generator and air compressor (well, not quite yet), roller seat and creeper, and whatever else strikes your fancy.
> It matches my tow vehicle (sorry, no pic).

My motor home has a better Air Conditioner in it...............for the trip home & I can not get to sleep in the Bucket I am just to cramped up........................lol............

I was waiting for the "what trailer" posts. LOL. I drive to local events but when we go to Bowling Green then Gulf Port in the fall it is just too much. Especially for how much my wife packs. :foottap: We take my enclosed trailer with two cars. Then I have a garage at night for the bucket plus we put a bed in there for the kids to stay in.

Sounds like a ton of trailer Queens here, and with more money than us regular guys that built our T Buckets to drive... I would be embarrassed haul my T to a run, what is not? it if you call it a run?? At the most, if I was going somewhere I was going to stay a Month or more, I would have the Wife drive Her car and maybe pull a small trailer for a out of the weather parking spot if there was no garage where I was going, but not just for a show... :)

I have a motto: PRO-BUILT OR HOME-BUILT, TRAILERED OR DRIVEN, STEEL OR GLASS, WHO CARES, HAVE FUN!

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back