Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TP steering arm question

Coupefreak

I'm trying to get my chassis in roller form.
thanks to RPM, the rear end is almost complete.:hooray::cool:
now.....the front steering is next.
I have a set of TP steering arms, and I'm not sure if I should use heims, or do I need to use tie rod ends:neutral: the steering arms appear to be "slightly" tapered at the very top.......but I'm not sure if its the right taper for tie rod ends......or not really tapered at all.....and I need heims.

Thanks for the help

Vance

measure the holes top and bottom. if the holes are punched there will be almost no taper and then you can use the heim ends.

Ron

Youngster said:
measure the holes top and bottom. if the holes are punched there will be almost no taper and then you can use the heim ends.

Ron

Never thought about doing that......measure......WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!:eek::lol:

I knew it was gonna be simple..........:rolleyes:

Thanks Ron......:cool:

Hand fit a 5/8 drill bit down through them to see if they are really tapered or not , and if they are and you want the easy way out, drill the holes to 5/8 and use rod ends.

Don

donsrods said:
Hand fit a 5/8 drill bit down through them to see if they are really tapered or not , and if they are and you want the easy way out, drill the holes to 5/8 and use rod ends.

Don

Which would be better.....and safer......tie rod ends, or heims??

use to use heims on the sprint car, and they held up pretty good......until the driver had a "moment":eek::mad::eek:

Vance

My Steering arms were tapered. I drilled them out to 5/8". I used a 5/8 Rod End (heim), with 7/8" OD DOM Tubing, for a tie rod. Works great! Most Total Cars use a 3/4" tie rod, with a 1/2" Heim. I looked in my TP assembly manual, and TP Catalog. TP Steering arms call for a 1/2" heim. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

HTWOODS

Rod ends are fine. I use Speedway Precision Rod Ends, because they are economical. They work well. If you are worried, use the Chrome Moly Rod Ends. These are super strong, and have a much higher tensile strength, than the Precision Rod Ends. They are not cheap. I personally would not use a standard duty rod end for suspension or steering applications.

HTWOODS

HTWOODS said:
Rod ends are fine. I use Speedway Precision Rod Ends, because they are economical. They work well. If you are worried, use the Chrome Moly Rod Ends. These are super strong, and have a much higher tensile strength, than the Precision Rod Ends. They are not cheap. I personally would not use a standard duty rod end for suspension or steering applications.

HTWOODS
1/2 inch Heims are fine, just the standard cheap end works great, as there is no real heavy amount of pressure on them, just always use a safety washer on the out side, what I do if the arm is tapered, is weld a small (fits the shape of the arm) 1/2" washer on the big taper side... I have been running the same Heims for years with no problems. Hard running over many rough roads, I am real hard on my car... But I love her, and I guess She loves Me too... hehe

if the holes are tapered...drill them out and sleeve them with a piece of tubing with a 1/2" i.d.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back