Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TP wire wheels

Edd

As I noted in my new member introduction, I have gone through most of the archives - all 50 pages of the suspension forum archives - and boy have I learned a lot! I actually found one post by 72442conv that addresses the issue that I have with using some TP/Speedway wheels that I bought used. 72442conv had said that he would check back in after going to the machine shop, but I could not find his follow-up post. I have tried to start a conversation with him with no response, and the information on his profile says he hasn't been seen since 2012. Soooo, here goes - my bucket has Econoline spindles with drums. All these TP/speedway wheels are for pre 1949 ford spindles. 72442conv found that there are bearings that can be used to compensate for the difference in the spindle and hub diameters, but there is a small matter of a 1.2 inch length difference - Econoline spindles are shorter. 72442conv said he was told that his wheels could be machined such that the bearing race could be moved further into the wheel hub. He was actually using Radir 12 spoke wheels, but same issue. These wire wheels seem to have plenty of meat in the hub, if that is even a realistic possibility. Changing spindles would require switching out my chrome front end - too costly. I would really like to use wheels! Anyone have experience or knowledge about this situation? Thanks.
Ed

I have a set of old 10 spoke magnesium spindle mounts that I want to add discs to. A different scenario from yours, I found the parts, but getting someone to do the machine work is a little different story. My friend is going to do it for me. I would suggest talking to some machinists to see what the machine work will cost, if they will do it, before buying any parts. Unless you have a connection, it can be expensive, and hard to get stuff modified due to liability...jmo. You can find bearings to fit virtually anything if you know the dimensions and do the research. I have actually found bearings that are ase on one dimension, and metric on the other to make stuff work on things other than intended. If you can't find the adapter bearing number, get the dimension of the hubs you should run on your spindle, compare that to the hub you want to run, then decide what bearing to order and what machine work is required. Bearing manufacturers offer a lot of data on sizes, type, etc...

I have Econline spindles and I found this follow link very interesting, maybe it will help you to.....

1962 Econoline Brakes?

I have a set of old 10 spoke magnesium spindle mounts that I want to add discs to. A different scenario from yours, I found the parts, but getting someone to do the machine work is a little different story. My friend is going to do it for me. I would suggest talking to some machinists to see what the machine work will cost, if they will do it, before buying any parts. Unless you have a connection, it can be expensive, and hard to get stuff modified due to liability...jmo. You can find bearings to fit virtually anything if you know the dimensions and do the research. I have actually found bearings that are ase on one dimension, and metric on the other to make stuff work on things other than intended. If you can't find the adapter bearing number, get the dimension of the hubs you should run on your spindle, compare that to the hub you want to run, then decide what bearing to order and what machine work is required. Bearing manufacturers offer a lot of data on sizes, type, etc...
It has to come to that eventually doesn't it. I hadn't really considered that the machine work would be that extensive or expensive, but I see your point. Also have to have the brake caliper brackets fabbed as well. Do you have the Econoline spindles. If so, let me know what you did to fix the length ssue. I can see either machining the hub deeper, or creating an extension for the spindle. I hate to give up on these wheels!

I have Econline spindles and I found this follow link very interesting, maybe it will help you to.....

Thanks Indycars. I wish I had found this article when I was rebuilding the original brake drum set-up, but I didn't even know I was dealing with Econoline parts. I was just going off part numbers. The information I need now revolves around the Econoline spindles mating to old Ford hubs.

It has to come to that eventually doesn't it. I hadn't really considered that the machine work would be that extensive or expensive, but I see your point. Also have to have the brake caliper brackets fabbed as well. Do you have the Econoline spindles. If so, let me know what you did to fix the length ssue. I can see either machining the hub deeper, or creating an extension for the spindle. I hate to give up on these wheels!
I don't have econoline spindles, so I didn't have to deal with that issue, but I have to buy spindles to install brakes because my original ones had been modified and had the mountings removed, of course, theyre chrome. It is an expensive hobby....lol. I don't think the cost of the machine work should be much either, but when I called around, they didn't want to mess with it. If you have an old school privately owned shop, that would be my choice. Thankfully, my friend offered to do it. I am sure there are guys out there with access to a mill and lathe that would do it, if you know them. Part of my issue was the magnesium, it ignites when being machined, I've been told. You likely just need to deepen the hub to further recess the race, and possibly shorten the snout? I wouldn't advise any attempt to lengthen the spindle, the cost of a set isn't worth the risk of losing a wheel on the roll, Imo! Good luck!

My dementia is acting up. Edd, do you have wire wheels? Like Hallcraft? And you think they are TP or Speedway? And they fit old Ford spindles? What front end do you have? If it's Speedway, they have spindles and brakes and such cheap. I wouldn't machine these critical parts. Got a pic of wheels? If they are motorcycle type, then brakes are almost a non-issue; you won't get much braking from them and you'll break spokes (I know, I did).

Reactions: RPM
Thanks for your replies PotvinGuy and Fletcherson. I see the issues with getting a machinist to do the work, especially if it were to make the resulting product something that might be dangerous. I am mindful of the fact that moving the outside bearing inward any distance creates a greater load stress on the bearings and spindle, but also consider the fact that the Econoline hub and spindle were manufactured with this bearing spacing. That doesn't mean that altering a wheel that wasn't originally built with this bearing spacing in mind is a good idea. Or is it OK? There appears to be plenty of meat in the steel hub. Incidentally PotvinGuy, these 16" wheels are the ones that Speedway currently sells. A tech there told me that they took them on from TP when they bought out TP. I don't know who made them for TP. As is in your case Fletcherson, my current setup is all chrome, and replacing the spindles requires replacing the front axle (as per the Speedway tech guy) and that makes it cost prohibitive. I have read all the bad points about running wire wheels, and although the wheels have a DOT stamp, I understand why motorcycle tires are not a very wise choice for turning and stopping or hitting potholes with. But most people say you have to be crazy for driving a T-bucket on the street anyway, and I understand their point as well! I just love the look and the ride. Eventually I will have to remove a spindle and take the hub and spindle around to some machine shops and see what opinions I get from them. I would like to know more before I go ask them their opinions.

Is this your wheel:
16%252520wire%252520wheel.jpg

They're Dayton 16x3.5. What is your axle? Poke around on the Speedway site and others for spindles that would fit your axle.. Be careful talking to tech support guys; they often lack real-world experience and only know their parts.
I ran wires on my first bucket.with no front brakes. You just need to anticipate braking. Panic stops are nerve wracking.

And read this for info:

PotvinGuy - Those are the ones! And yes ORF, I agree, I like the 18 wheels better also, but never found any of those. These wheel came with Airheart calipers and discs, and chrome caliper brackets which I also can't use. Those chrome caliper brackets are another reason It would be better if I could just switch out the spindles. I'll send a picture of my axle as soon as I am allowed to post pictures, with hopes someone may be able to identify it. I do know however, that the kingpins on the Econoline spindle do not fit an axle that has old ford spindles without some machining - there is an article on that subject somewhere in the archives. So it comes down to altering the spindles or the axle either way. Replacing my chrome spindles and axle both is simply too expensive. These Dayton wheels must be much stronger than the old 18" wheels, right? Incidentally PotvinGuy, I believe you might have referred to what would have been a link, but nothing showed up. Thanks for the replies fellas. I am going to look more closely at the axle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back