Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trailer hitch help

akitagandy

I need help designing a trailer hitch that comes off the rear end , with 2 people in the car I don't need anymore wieght hanging on the frame. All drawings welcome
gallery_3548_208_31868.jpg

Questions??? Is that your panhard bar that I see mounted at that angle? If not, then what is it?

Jim

Do a search on here for trailer hitch and there are some nice pics.

If your trailer is designed right there should not be very much tongue weight anyways. Mounted to the rear end the tongue is going to be going up an down like crazy. Ever see a video of suspension as it goes over bumps?

I need help designing a trailer hitch that comes off the rear end , with 2 people in the car I don't need anymore wieght hanging on the frame. All drawings welcome
gallery_3548_208_31868.jpg
Rear end or rear of frame?

There used to be a trailer hitch that attached to the rear diff., with a pivot. It then was held up by the rear bumper. It allowed for the pulling forces to come from the diff., and the lifting forces only, from the bumper. There was another version of it that would swing from side to side at the bumper, effectively making the trailer toung apear to be hooked right at the diff, making backing a trailer easier. (It didn't use a ball hitch at the trailer.) Does not apply in this case, and they both were a real piece of s__t in my estimation. If you can't handle the weight off the frame, you need to beef up the springs, because pulling from the diff. is not a good idea due to the up and down motion it will impart to the trailer. It will shake your beer into foam!

JMHO
Corley

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back