Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transmission cover/tunnel

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been watching the transmission cover discussion on American Graffiti's project thread, and something came to mind, but I don't want to hijack his thread.

Given that these cars are tight on right foot space, I was wondering if it would be feasable to build some kind of a reinforced platform into the top of the cover, aft of the bell housing, and using that for the right foot position. The throttle would be moved up and over...or possibly a 2nd pedal there.

I am going to need to keep my shifter either lower than seat level, or at the bottom of the dash, so there would be no interference there.

I've been watching the transmission cover discussion on American Graffiti's project thread, and something came to mind, but I don't want to hijack his thread.

Given that these cars are tight on right foot space, I was wondering if it would be feasable to build some kind of a reinforced platform into the top of the cover, aft of the bell housing, and using that for the right foot position. The throttle would be moved up and over...or possibly a 2nd pedal there.

I am going to need to keep my shifter either lower than seat level, or at the bottom of the dash, so there would be no interference there.

I see no reason why you could not be able to do that. Also, if you notice my shifter is under the dash when in park and only a little ways back when in gear.

Jim

My main issue with the shifter is that I'm going to need to slide across the car, to and from the right side door. With my joint issues, I need to minimize the contortion causing obstructions.

Having dual pedals would also help with fatigue on longer runs <shrug>

My main issue with the shifter is that I'm going to need to slide across the car, to and from the right side door. With my joint issues, I need to minimize the contortion causing obstructions.

Having dual pedals would also help with fatigue on longer runs <shrug>
Why not utilize a column shifter?

Why not utilize a column shifter?

If I didn't already have a new 28" Ididit column, I would. It was one of those too cheap to pass up deals that now I can't afford an alternative.

Hi Bill. When I sit in my car, I have found that I am more comfortable with my right foot on top of the transmission. If you look at Potvin Guy's throttle pedal it seems to be positioned there as well. Of course, Jim has an awesome set up with what he's done.

Also, if you haven't already bought a shifter, you might consider looking for one of the cable designs rather than one with a hard linkage. This will allow many different options for the location of your shifter, that is what I plan to do.

you might consider looking for one of the cable designs rather than one with a hard linkage. This will allow many different options for the location of your shifter said:
That's exactly what I'm dealing with right now. My B&M Hammer shifter allowed me to put it where I wanted.
1-4-15 8.JPG

The cable will pass through a grommet in the trans tunnel.
1-19-15 3.JPG

Move the shift lever over beside the left side.........DSCN2175.JPG

DSCN2174.JPG This has been refined since this photo but you get the idea...

Mike

If I didn't already have a new 28" Ididit column, I would. It was one of those too cheap to pass up deals that now I can't afford an alternative.
The cable shifter is a good idea, about $200.00. If you don't have a shifter and the floor space it that critical, as it sounds, you may still look into a decent used column with shifter, but get tha linkage. GM is pretty universal from the 60's through the 80's. They are pretty inexpensive at the bone yards, less than a new shifter. You should be able to get your money out of the ididit. Just a thought. The linkage would be fairly easy to adapt, it mounts from the trans to the frame, with a rod that connects from the trans to the column. That would likely be the worst of it, getting the proper length and angle. I would not try to make new, rather just adapt a stock unit. They are adjustable with a sliding male Clevis type device by design. I have also seen cable kits to go from the column to the trans, but I don't remember who makes it. It likely costs more than it's worth unless there is no alternative. I know you have limited mobility, but a trip to the salvage yard just to look at options would be good to provide ideas, on a budget.

Also, if you haven't already bought a shifter, you might consider looking for one of the cable designs rather than one with a hard linkage. This will allow many different options for the location of your shifter, that is what I plan to do.

No, I've not gotten a shifter yet. I'd originally planned on using a very simple linkage type shifter that I'd seen on ebay...now all the ones I can find are for 3 speed automatics. The one I'd found was listed as being for my 700R4. Now I'm focused on the cable shifters because of the flexibility you mention.

That's exactly what I'm dealing with right now. My B&M Hammer shifter allowed me to put it where I wanted

The B&M Hammer shifter was on my want list...until I ran across a schemematic. Though the shift lever is short, the out of sight part makes the total height too tall for my use.

Move the shift lever over beside the left side.........View attachment 10849

View attachment 10850 This has been refined since this photo but you get the idea...

Mike

I've considered that location , and like it's simplicity with a cable shifter, but that is where I've planned on putting the emergency brake lever. That realestate could be crowded.

The cable shifter is a good idea, about $200.00. If you don't have a shifter and the floor space it that critical, as it sounds, you may still look into a decent used column with shifter, but get tha linkage. GM is pretty universal from the 60's through the 80's. They are pretty inexpensive at the bone yards, less than a new shifter. You should be able to get your money out of the ididit. Just a thought. The linkage would be fairly easy to adapt, it mounts from the trans to the frame, with a rod that connects from the trans to the column. That would likely be the worst of it, getting the proper length and angle. I would not try to make new, rather just adapt a stock unit. They are adjustable with a sliding male Clevis type device by design. I have also seen cable kits to go from the column to the trans, but I don't remember who makes it. It likely costs more than it's worth unless there is no alternative. I know you have limited mobility, but a trip to the salvage yard just to look at options would be good to provide ideas, on a budget.

I'm pretty well set on keeping the column I have...it's a nice and simple install, and looks good. To use an OEM column, I'd have to stick with a mid to late 80s to be compatable with my 700R4, and by then those columns were getting pretty complicated, and had form fitted plastic covers. I'd have to come up with some kind of beauty cover and custom bracketry.

After an evening of research and pondering, the B&M Unimatic shifter seems the best fit. It's a cable shifter that mounts simply, and has a flat lever that can be easily shortened.
BMM-80775_ml.jpg
The design seems that it may work for another idea I have...Instead if mounting the shifter on the floor with the lever verticle, mount it to the firewall with the lever horizontal. With the lever shortened as much as practical, and the shifter positioned so when in park the lever is just below the dash, it should be out of the way. <shrug>

This? http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/co...-shift-linkage-pgs/column-cableshiftlink.html

I have the B&M Unimatic Shifter. It does NOT have a real positive feel as it goes thru the gears. If you going to just put it in drive and go, then it should work pretty good for you. But if you want to manually shift it under power and your getting bounced around it's going to be a problem. I have a hard time and I can lock my elbow into my body, but I do have over 400 HP.

I took some measurements that might be helpful while you are trying to decide.

FP01_ShifterRightSide_4883.jpg

FP01_ShifterLeftSide_4882.jpg

B&MUnimaticShifter_5430.jpg

This is a great forum...and very timely. I also am thinking through shifter options and really appreciate some of the suggestions mentioned here. Thanks all!

This is a great forum...and very timely. I also am thinking through shifter options and really appreciate some of the suggestions mentioned here. Thanks all!
Pay attention to those ratchet shifters and select the one that best fits your intended driving style. They can be cumbersome for normal use, and I had a B&M in a car that actually skipped from 2nd to neutral under hard acceleration and caused over rev and fairly severe top end damage. It was new and properly adjusted. Just a word to the wise... Not to slam B&M, I like their products and the shifter was a console mount, so I was limited in selection. Like most things, the good ones cost more.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back