Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trying to get a title in NJ

BrianD

Well I've been moving right along with my build,slow and steady. I thought it was about time to see what all I need to get this thing titled. I should have done more research before I started. I knew the most important thing I needed was an MSO and save all receipts. So, I made sure I got one with my kit. Well I just spent a half an hour on the phone with the DMV inspector and had an Oh My God moment. Thing I need on my build are.....in addition to all the stuff I was already aware of...... front and rear fenders, front and rear bumpers,cat. converters(1976 engine),low brake fluid light?,shielded exhaust,wipers AS-1 windshield glass and on and on......

Also it would be titled as a 20xx reconstructed/custom

I had all intention of doing this the right and legal way, but this state makes it very difficult. The only thing I can think of doing is buying a title off the internet and registering it that way. I'm not ready to put it on the road just yet so I have time to figure this out. I'm open to suggestions or idea's. HELP!

Thanks, Brian

Sometimes the strict state laws force you to do those kind of (shady) things in order to get your Bucket on the road.

Wait 2-3 weeks and call back, hopefully you will get someone else and a different story.

I don't know how much you already bought but if you buy a kit from Spirit when the car is done you can get a title from them. Arkansas title and do a title transfer. Then it will be a 1923 Model T

I read somewhere about registering the car as kit and being exempt. Do some reading on Factory Five Racing site. They sell the AC Cobra builds and numerous owners have to deal with the same issues. They are in Mass and a lot of the owners are from the New England states. Good luck,

I don't know how much you already bought but if you buy a kit from Spirit when the car is done you can get a title from them. Arkansas title and do a title transfer. Then it will be a 1923 Model T

I've got probably 90% of what I need at this time. I thought I only needed the MSO, I didn't realize they would be sticklers about everything else.

Move to Minnesota. As long as you can prove that nothing was stolen you can get a title for it. They are very relaxed here and it is easy to title a car. All I needed was the mso, partial engine vin, partial trans vin (or receipts to prove they were mine) and a verbal uh huh that I built the frame myself and I have a title. Maybe they sympathize with us because we only have 3 months out of the year we can drive them.

NJ is a hard state with a MSO as we have been down that road in the past before we could offer titles. If you can find an original title would be your best option. I hate to see guys that spent money for a kit and they have to jump through a ton of hoops or have to add a ton of money to get their cars registered or I really hate to see guys who can't get them registered in their county/state and they end up selling it.

You could do like I did in 1979, I just picked a VIN# from out of a book. Took my receipts and
filed for a title. They asked some questions at the DMV like did you add big tires or big engine ....
Oh no sir it's all original!

I'm titled as an original 1920 Model-T Ford. It will never have to pass any emission test since
it's so old. hehehehe!!!

You could do like I did in 1979, I just picked a VIN# from out of a book. Took my receipts and
filed for a title. They asked some questions at the DMV like did you add big tires or big engine ....
Oh no sir it's all original!

I'm titled as an original 1920 Model-T Ford. It will never have to pass any emission test since
it's so old. hehehehe!!!

That wouldn't fly in N.C. as they (DMV) would have to inspect it first and get all major numbers for the legislature wouldn't pass the SEMA law. All about the money.!!!!.

All states seem to be different in regards to getting titles etc.

Here in MO there are a couple options, assembled vehicle of the year made and that will be very difficult as it's like the OP listed in his thread. The other is doing it as a Replica. In that case if it resembles a '23 roadster made by Ford, it would be a '23 Ford Replica and there are no rules regarding emissions or other safety items etc.

I built an Outlaw Performance 1940 Willys coupe and did the registration route from another state way and didn't use the MSO at all. It was titled directly as a 1940 Willys 2dr.

Good luck with the registration.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back