Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turbo 4 banger Roadster

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
Saw this car at the car show i attended Saturday.I had my head up in my well you get the idea i wanted to take pics but i forgot to switch the switch.Any way the car was WAY FAST.

Rick, how much horse power did he saw he was making. Looks like a nice clean setup.

He didn't say just when he left it didn't look like any 4 Banger i ever saw.Kinda funny sounding though.

this has nothing to do with a t-bucket , but i know audi has a turbo 4 cylinder car that puts out like 230 hp and that is before any modding done to it.. i think a 2.3 liter ford would make a good engine to put a turbo on..

Oh but your wrong it has alot to do with t-buckets think about the engine you just mentioned or the 2.3 both would make great engines for a 'bucket.Alot of power and if you keep your foot out of it(as if)great gas mileage.

if i were to build a 4cylinder with a turbo, i would go all the way with it... probably use the ford 2.3 l , garret or turbonetics t3 turbo, megasquirt fuel injection set-up..

ive been contemplating a fuel injection outfit on the engine i'm building, just to get the fuel mileage.. have to have a laptop and i would also go with the megasquirt fuel injection its the cheapest and it has a strong following and community for help and support in tuning..

i had a 1989 ford ranger years ago, well in 1989 :D bought it new... it had a 2.3 liter in it, 5 speed, had an 8.8 rear in it, i lowered it, put a 4.10 gear in it and some enkei 5 hole indy style wheels..that lil truck would scoot for a 4cyl, and it was fun to drive wish i still had that lil truck, make a nice truck to drive to work....

I agree the 2.3 is a small engine in size but it begs to be modified.

The 2.3 was offered with a turbo from ford In the SVO Mustang and the Thunderbird Sport Coupe. In factory trim they claimed 175 HP. I had and still am thinking about using the 2.3, I picked up a turbo from a Thunderbird at a flea market for 10 bucks, but even better theirs a complete Thunderbird right up the street, it has a blown rearend, as soon as he drops the price a bit more, Ill have to be making new motor mounts...

The 2.5L turbo 4 banger in my STi make 305hp/335tq at the wheels, thats with bolt-ons and tuned. The Subaru motors are probably too wide for a T tho, but they sit nice and low. I would do a 2.3L turbo from an SVO if I went 4 cylinder in a hot rod. I have seen those make 400hp when built correctly.

There were a bunch of Cowtowners that built '27 Roadsters with Turbo 2.3 Fords. There was a white one, a red one and a yellow one.

I'd post the images but the NTBA gallery isn't working for me right now.

T-Odd said:
There were a bunch of Cowtowners that built '27 Roadsters with Turbo 2.3 Fords. There was a white one, a red one and a yellow one.

I'd post the images but the NTBA gallery isn't working for me right now.
Looking forward to those pics, and any other 4 banger bucket pics you may know of. Thanks

You want four bangers?

2072441.jpg

2072438.jpg

It's for sale - TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 1923 t-Bucket with VW power

How about this one?

BLOWN four banger, I LOVE this bucket.

Tbucket.jpg

Tbucket1.jpg

from Home

Please visit that site sometime. Lots of good stuff there.

from the NTBA Gallery

NTBA

frye.JPG

NTBA

wallen2.jpg

That's all I have for right now.

I do have an old Hot Rod mag bucketeers special from the 80s with a Pinto Banger Bucket in there, would take me FOREVER to locate though.

There are LOTS more out there, these are just the ones I could easily locate at 1:30 am LOL.

Thanks for the posts.Can't say i'd want a VW 'Bucket they all have there place.Lots of ideas in your posts.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back