Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

U bolts for front spring

Keeper

I am looking at the possibility of using U-bolts to mount the front spring. I have some clearance issue with the lower spring perch plate and the axle. Couple of possibilities:

1. Use u-bolts to mount the spring. This will give me enough clearance between the two.
2. Buy a new spring with more arch to keep the axle from coming in contact with the axle.

So what do you think?

I have some pictures around here somewhere let me track them down.

This is with the old front perch. Its a little better with the new one, but it still hits.

6sep%20006.jpg_595.jpg

What's the distance between the perch bolts? It might be just the picture but it looks as though you have more room betweenthe holes in the perch than you need. When I set up the perch plate, I drill the holes 2 1/4" on center both frorward and side ways. Do you have an inch or so between the axle and the spring?

Ron

What's the distance between the perch bolts? It might be just the picture but it looks as though you have more room betweenthe holes in the perch than you need. When I set up the perch plate, I drill the holes 2 1/4" on center both frorward and side ways. Do you have an inch or so between the axle and the spring?

Ron

Yeah that is the old perch. The new one is 2 1/4 apart. (I need to take some new pics)

I am looking at the possibility of using U-bolts to mount the front spring. I have some clearance issue with the lower spring perch plate and the axle. Couple of possibilities:

1. Use u-bolts to mount the spring. This will give me enough clearance between the two.
2. Buy a new spring with more arch to keep the axle from coming in contact with the axle.

So what do you think?

I have some pictures around here somewhere let me track them down.

This is with the old front perch. Its a little better with the new one, but it still hits.

6sep%20006.jpg_595.jpg
mine hit to i torched of part of the spring purch an cut two old leaves 6 inchs long put on top of spring pack and a new tie bolt and now i am good to go. you can also buy spacers from 1/4 up to about 2 inches from speedway

The problem isn't really with the crossmember spring perch as much as with the batwing shackle location. That's what dictates the distance between the axle and the spring. If the spring was another inch back from the axle you probably would have the problem.

Ron

I understand what you're saying but when you're building one of these cars you sometimes need to take a step backward to go forward. Maybe you could remove the area where the shackle mount is in the batwing and replace it with a new piece.

Ron

I would use "U" bolts & remove the bottom plate. If more clearance was still needed a spacer between the top of the spring & the underside of the perch could be used.

Spike

So I went to my local spring shop and they bent me up some u-bolts, worked like a charm, plenty of room now, I am debating if I will up the size to 1/2 instead of 7/16's. I now have about 1/4 inch clearance between the u-bolts and the axle. For $4 each I am very happy!

An easy fix to get the axle forward a bit, so as to clear the perch when hitting a hard bump, would be to fab new OFFSET shackle/spring hangers, and adjust the radius rods out a bit at each mounting point, then grind the end of the perch just to the very edge of the nuts, to give a bit more clearance when needed... and yes 7/16" bolts/U-bolts are plenty good for this application...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back