Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unusually long body

Jeddie

I have just recently acquired a tbucket and I am trying to figure out everything that I have. The cowl is 16" and the body is 42" from the cowl to the back. It also appears to have a spirit dash but there is no oval in the middle of it. It is just smooth with a lip at the bottom. The bed is 42" long and it does appear to have been stretched. It is like it was bought that long.

Sorry I said "bed is 42" long and it does appear to have been stretched". But I meant to say that it does NOT appear to have been stretched. No lines or modifications just smooth like it was made that way. I cannot find anyone who is or was making that long if a bed.

WOW, what is the wheelbase of that ride?

Jim

The wheelbase is 118". I took this bucket as a trade and don't really have any money in it. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but now that I am reading and learning I LOVE it. I think the extra room in the bed will be nice for a cooler and some lawn chairs at the car shows!

Don't care much for the look of the bed, but the stretched body would be great to have. I especially like the working door, which so many (like mine) don't have. That should be a fun project to finish out!

Jack

I'm thinking a larger outside diameter tire and possibly some kind of fender setup would help with the looks of the long bed. Maybe go for a kind of Barris Ala Kart look

I stretched my bed to 32" and moved the gas tank below it. Love the added length when you go cruising or to a show. Now the chairs, pop up and cooler do not have to ride inside with me. I agree that some fenders on the back would add to the look and give it a bit more of a finished look.

Ok, since its your Bucket, I will add my 2 cents. It looks to me that the rear spring set up it poorly done. Since you should cut it off and start all over, I would move the rear end forward as much as looks good from the side. Look at other buckets to get an idea. Then I would shorten the bed at least an equal amount. If you decide to keep the bed length and rear end in the same place, then just build new mounts for the springs. They do not look very strong or safe from what I can see. I know you will do what you like with the looks, and that is fine. Just do it in a safe way. Not knocking you project, but I know you want suggestions, maybe not opinions.
Lee

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and opinions. I like hearing what other people think about it. It gives me ideas! Come to find out the frame was not straight. Whoever welded the kick up did not do it right :/ go figure. Soo I have cut the kick up section of the frame loose and I am in the process of straighting it back up. I am also grinding/ cleaning any welds that look scary to me. Once I get the back end welded back up it am going to addresse those leefspring mounts. I guess I should start a build thread.

When it comes time to do those leaf spring mounts, you may want to check out some of the 4x4 sites....they have a lot of variations of mounting brackets

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back