Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Upholstery Prices? WOW!

Zack

Hey guys. I have been trying to line up an upholsterer for my bucket. I only want a simple naugahyde pleated interior, nothing fancy. I found a gentleman locally who can do it. After having him look it over he gave me a price of $1,500.00. Now, I know things have gone up but isn’t this a bit high for a bucket? I cannot afford this and I don’t like the pre-made drop in kits.

What are my options?

Is this something that I could learn over a few months and be good enough to tackle myself?

( This picture is an example of what i am wanting ):

8.jpg

That is the exact same price I was quoted here in Kansas City for the same interior. Generally considered "reasonable" in these parts.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. $1500 seems about right for the sides, seat, and carpet. I have seen some good interiors done by builders (like Keeper) and then some that are not much more than a Mexican blanket. I guess it what look you are going for. The guys that do boats and such are usually a bit less expensive and do a decent job.

I've been trying to talk my girlfriend into tackling the upholstery on our current bucket build. She has re-done some sofa's with success, and if she could pull this off, it would definitely save some coin.

You think that is bad? I had a guy quote me $3,500. for my LITTLE 1917 bucket. Heck I'll do it myself.

I did some more checking this morning and i was quoted 1500 and 3500 from 2 different people. I did find a man who is retired from a 40 year upholstery business that will do it at his home for 700. That is more to my liking and he has done t-buckets before so i will be making a short trip to Dallas in the near future.

You think that is bad? I had a guy quote me $3,500. for my LITTLE 1917 bucket. Heck I'll do it myself.

HA! I had a quote of $7,500 for my '27! It ended up costing a little over 2k and that included the seat, doors, kick panels, and trunk area.

I spent $600 fixing a few things on the upholstery already installed in my car. I'm curious as to how much you thought it should be?

$800-1000 seems like a fair price. I am not asking for a Chip Foose job. Only want a no frills basic pleated interior. Guess is i want to make enough money to retire one day i should start in the upholstery business ASAP.

Zack, try this guy. He did my top for half all the other quotes I got. He too works out of his garage and has done a number of high $ show cars.

Larry Hankins
www.villageuph.com
(972) 317-6225

I made my seat and side panels and even carved the foam. The actual covering of those pieces was the only job that was farmed out on the entire car and it cost me $1000. Like Ben said, you only get what you pay for. And if I were you, I would want to see the actual work, not pictures, and talk to previous customers before committing to any upholster.

IMG_0818.jpg

Jim

Unless you are mass producing the same thing custom upholstery is time consuming work and time is money. I have never seen a rich upholster either....

Zack, try this guy. He did my top for half all the other quotes I got. He too works out of his garage and has done a number of high $ show cars.

Larry Hankins
www.villageuph.com
(972) 317-6225

I will give him a call thanks,

Unless you are mass producing the same thing custom upholstery is time consuming work and time is money. I have never seen a rich upholster either....

I know we get what we pay for but 1500 for a bucket is a stretch to me. 3500 is completely insane. I am not expecting it for free but a little more reasonable would be nice. As i said, 800-1000 is a bit more fair IMHO. I have priced out the material and i am not seeing 1000-1100 in labor charges for a 1500 dollar job. Best i figured in material is approx. 400-500 from a few different online sources. I am just asking the question for what other options there are, primarily if this is something that could be learned and done by me. :peace:

Thanks

What are my options?

Is this something that I could learn over a few months and be good enough to tackle myself?

IMO, I think if you really just sit down one day and look at it, you'll figure out a way to do it yourself. Mine is bar bones, but it fits the look I was going for. I would NEVER drop over $1,000 for a T interior. That just doesn't make sense. I'm with you, $500-$800, sounds right considering how small the interior is. heck, what's the square footage of a T interior? Not even 32sq. ft.

Speedway has a kit for $999 and THAT'S too damn high!

Hell, if some guys are getting $3,500 for a T, what are they getting for a regular car? $7,500?!!! Shop around, dude.

IMO, I think if you really just sit down one day and look at it, you'll figure out a way to do it yourself. Mine is bar bones, but it fits the look I was going for. I would NEVER drop over $1,000 for a T interior. That just doesn't make sense. I'm with you, $500-$800, sounds right considering how small the interior is. heck, what's the square footage of a T interior? Not even 32sq. ft.

Speedway has a kit for $999 and THAT'S too damn high!

Hell, if some guys are getting $3,500 for a T, what are they getting for a regular car? $7,500?!!! Shop around, dude.

My point exactly. LOL

The first quote I got was for $3000. Thats when I decided I would try it myself.

Start looking for a good sewing machine, they will run 300-500 for a walking foot machine. If it does not work out, you can turn around and sell it for exactly what you bought it for!

Then buy a couple books, hit youtube and the HAMB upholstery groups. There is a huge amount of how to videos out there.

Get some clearance vinyl, I paid $6 a yard for mine and its Marine grade stuff, and practice your stitching, some of the books will walk you through exercises to get you comfortable with the machine and procedures.

Then draw out your ideas, once you get an idea of what you want you can start making your seats/patterns.

All told I have about $1000 in my interior, and that includes the purchase price of the sewing machine!

I will warn you though, once your other half sees you can sew, you can bet you will be making drapes and all sorts of other crap! (It does save a huge amount of cash on window coverings)

I'm a cheap SOB... I have less than fifty dollars in my interior, but there's no carpet and no vinyl, just a Camaro seat back and a board with foam to sit on, covered with a seven dollar blanket. But then again, Kletus would not be Kletus if it had a $1500 interior.

I thought about some carpet once.

I have priced some of the materials. I come up with around $350. to do a bucket. Foam included and marine naugahyde from Jo-Ann fabrics at $15. per yard.

Start looking for a good sewing machine, they will run 300-500 for a walking foot machine. If it does not work out, you can turn around and sell it for exactly what you bought it for!

Then buy a couple books, hit youtube and the HAMB upholstery groups. There is a huge amount of how to videos out there.

Get some clearance vinyl, I paid $6 a yard for mine and its Marine grade stuff, and practice your stitching, some of the books will walk you through exercises to get you comfortable with the machine and procedures.

Then draw out your ideas, once you get an idea of what you want you can start making your seats/patterns.

All told I have about $1000 in my interior, and that includes the purchase price of the sewing machine!

Keeper how many hours do you have in making your own interior?

The first quote I got was for $3000. Thats when I decided I would try it myself.

I will warn you though, once your other half sees you can sew, you can bet you will be making drapes and all sorts of other crap! (It does save a huge amount of cash on window coverings)

This may be my next option regardless of how long it takes me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back