Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Valve cover baffles . . .

I made baffles out of sheet aluminum [think tray] & jb welded them in the covers , that was at least 7-8 years ago & the still are in there doing thier job ...

Those are about like the ones that came with my covers. Seem to work just fine. I have them in both covers, and also vented filler cap on fill spout.

I made some also, used sheet alum and put some furnace filter glass in it. I still used baffled vents, like the molar style and installed Pcv. Works ok, but for what I paid for the valve covers, Holley, there should have been something available, imho. They are tall, so I had room even with roller rockers.

Spanky, do you use a PCV valve? Or just a breather on each valve cover? Are the breathers filtered? I used to have spitting oil and oil on the firewall. Then I replaced the filters with a PCV-type fitting on one breather and a fitting on the other breather that hoses to the air cleaner:
2kZAVaujGarsQR7czUv1JFC-o3P1zUcJUcPUwhQ_q-TzLDIKE1MR-L8rEIep7xqqemS6ifHfTej5xaFvMe62ngDi7OvmCgvhuoehGplv8mQQ56y9cM79uX3JyDtsXpm3doU9huJ3eohEopshcPP8N6MSsn8Hc-zMlZpLiu80cNRoBTZCSumLQfL8xSf188i7Omzvi9qJtFFPQnsZyq0wTKeOyke3I80h2JHMMG6oVs08zm7huJFRBUb69hKgmYzFpINQTei6vzw2m-nYJ1nHqtA9o-TN9Xb6IhBDZkh_yDkI-k2qrNCLGxHtW1rWO_Y_LCjt2jxmIC8q4BLwoDkKHjHhaIwokq7SQ00Oz70FsD09RLd9TjXaN_MTEXPXiXJxD2pv9pAlmFcjQ7YCpRtKQ9ksiD7ieqwCKtg4eAXfFAQipbrPg1lR6kiJRwHMZWPsyp5vAMSsNkP0N0wN7iGFpBmH6PHlP-0EeY4fPBK2CVJo9DKo-BMeyUtHbQJp7ri6Irq0fVlEKCiX1UblQ0UnXnQ9J0B-Wn0mct4cNXw9XgosWxApZhYjgIKMOgj6HamFiY1AOvUiWbNC4W3FiDx4jS7BbSFnKOlvn04tUUXJWXu8jUMTp58zlxA5ADZsxdrJgob8rCMWqiZdrJETKql5khfpZcYKcpfJP-KWjNLOqA=w646-h485-no

Keeps it real clean now.

Thanks, Kerry. Is your rear mounted breather vented to atmosphere or a vacuum source?

Thanks, Kerry. Is your rear mounted breather vented to atmosphere or a vacuum source?
It goes to the intake manifold. Instead of a conventional PCV valve, I use a "calibrated orifice" (as the Brits like to call it); it's just a 1/16 hole in a plate. OEMs have a PCV sized for each motor. The hot rod "universal" PCV valves may or may not work for your motor. My motor has high vacuum all the time, so a universal PCV would never open to vent the crankcase.

I am really glad I ran across this thread because I have been having the same problem. I installed a breather on the opposite side from the pcv and now I get some oil spray from that side. Looks like I need to make a baffle. Always some good info on this site.

I have blocked the valve covers off and am going for a valley breather. Running a tube to a catch tank and then atmosphere.

VC Breathers (1) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC) (Copy).JPG

VC Breathers (3) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC) (Copy).JPG

I am making custom valve covers with no holes in the top. I am going to use one way valves out the back side of each valve cover with a baffle on the inside as to not suck up oil.
Then I am going to run a stainless tube (think flared brake line with fittings) from the back of the valve along the header to the collector and vent using exhaust vacuum.
Like this setup ..

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-120108/overview/

Taps into each throttle body to a log with 2 outlets. One for the sensor and one for the trans.

vac log (12) [1024x768] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Kinda looks like a little V8

vac logg (5) [1024x768] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

vac lines for EFI.JPG

You can buy ready made logs with 8 in and 1 out from Kinsler etc. Saves a bunch load of time than making one, but I just can't stop myself....

You can buy ready made logs with 8 in and 1 out from Kinsler etc. Saves a bunch load of time than making one, but I just can't stop myself....
Thanks for the great tip. I looked thru Kinsler's online catalog and found the logs and other parts I need. And lots of good tech info too.

I have always found Kinsler very friendly and technically good. Called them many times over the years and they still have the original software Mapping for my engine on file.

Yikes, Kinsler is very proud of their stuff! The vacuum junction block is $92 bare and $195 with barb fittings. How can 9 small barb fittings be worth $103?

WOW, that's a lot of $....

At that rate my EFI is worth more than my House!

On my sbf I made a breather that mounts to the fuel pump mount since I have an electric pump. You can buy the breathers from K&N.
I just used a 3/4" 90* piece of conduit and cut it to my liking, then welded it to an old FP block off plate.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back