Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Valve cover

PaulR

I started my t bucket today for the 2nd time. Fixed a couple of minor things that I saw from the first time. This time I let the engine get up to temperature. Everything seemed to work as it should. I ran the engine up to about 2000 rpm for a few minutes. Wanted to run it in a little (at least until I made the neighbors mad). When I switched hands to hold the throttle, I noticed a knock coming from the engine.

A brief history on the engine:
stock chevy 350
rebuilt by a local shop - bought from them about 2 1/2 years ago, hasn't been run until a week ago Wednesday.
Speedway valve covers
stock cam, valves, rockers.

Anyway, all gauges seemed normal. I then noticed the passenger side valve cover pulsing (closest to the intake). Put my hand on it and I could feel the rockers hit it. Drivers side seemed fine.

I stopped the engine. After it cooled off I pulled the valve cover off. It has noticeable grooves in it from #4, 6 and 8 cyl in it. I have a PCV valve that does rattle shake it. Put a square across the rocker studs and they appear to all line up. I could take a hammer and "fix" the valve covers. I don't think that will cure the problem. If there is one. I have not had this happen before so any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

P.S.

Man, did it sound good once it was warmed up!!!!

I'll try swapping them tomorrow. Another excuse to hear it run... Ha ha ha.

Roagmaster, I have the tall ones. It's hitting the side though not the top.

Thanks,
PaulR

We had the same problem with the finned aluminum ones on the 306 sbf in my Son's bucket. The roller rockers were touching the inside of the valve cover so we ground a little where they were rubbing and it went away. I'm running the tall Edelbrock covers on mine and have a lot of room under there.

Don

Core shifts are common on aluminum covers. Some worse than others.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back