Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

VW shocks

Hotrod46

Has anyone tried older model Volkswagen Beetle shocks on the rear of a T?

I have air bags and I'm thinking the shocks I have on the back of mine are going to be way too stiff. I can remove the shocks on the rear and rearend has good suspension action. Put them back on and it gets pretty stiff.

Just looking for options. The VW has loop mounts on both ends and weighs just about the same as a T. They're pretty cheap too! I'm not worried about chrome, since they way they're mounted on my car, you can't really see them.

I hate to buy adjustable QA1's due to the cost.

Thanks

Mike

Hellooooooooooo Mike, Those shocks will work find, just lay them over a bit, so they are not soo strong, like adding leverage, the more they are laid over, the less work they do.. you get a softer ride... besides, the VW had the engine in the rear and IRS, lots of leverage going there... So they had to work real hard on the VW... Fronts would probably work better..

The front shocks on older (kingpin) beetles are the exact same shock we were talking about in another thread, 1949 Plymouth.

The rear shocks are different and the front shocks on balljoint beetles are different.

Monroe #5752 is the shock.

Less than twenty bucks at rockauto.com

On the air ride set ups we do, I mostly use monroe shocks. Just the standard ones. They are blue in color. Sorry, I am drawing a blank on the model. But maybe you can cross reference this number, 32245. That is the shock we use on the front of an S10. See what model that is, then get that type. Not that exact number, just that model.

Ted Brown said:
Hellooooooooooo Mike, Those shocks will work find, just lay them over a bit, so they are not soo strong, like adding leverage, the more they are laid over, the less work they do.. you get a softer ride... besides, the VW had the engine in the rear and IRS, lots of leverage going there... So they had to work real hard on the VW... Fronts would probably work better..

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember this info when I get to that part of my build too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back