Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Weak Rear Brakes

Another update: I drove the car to a show yesterday, about 160 miles total, so I was really able to evaluate the brakes. The bias is just about perfect but the pedal effort is about 10%-15% more than I had initially thought. Not the end of the world, but it's noticeable and significant for me since it was a very hard pedal before this. I think a power booster is in my future. Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

I have GM metric front calipers and Ford Explorer rear calipers coupled to a '75 Corvette 4-wheel disk manual MC. Front pistons larger than rear pistons. System is self-proportioning. Pedal pressure is not at all high.

A longer pedal would be easy, but I would have to hack up the floor so that's not an option. A more compatible mc is a good idea, but which one is more compatible?

You could go with a smaller bore MC. I think that there is a corvette style MC with a 7/8 bore available (if not there are others). The only drawback to the smaller bore is that your pedal travel will increase since you have to move the same amount of fluid with a smaller piston.

For safety, you need to make sure that you can move the MC a full stroke with no fluid in it. That's the only way to verify that a dual circuit MC will function correctly if you lose pressure on one end.

If you go with the corvette style, you will probably need a 10 lb. residual valve in the rear line, since they are usually disc/disc.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back