Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

welding classes

jrn

Hi guys. I took welding (stick and mig) in high school. I've hardly welded any since. So needless to say I'm a little rusty. The local college offers seperate arc and mig classes. I'd like to take both eventually. But for now I'd like the one best suited for frame fabrication. Which one should I choose? Thanks....Jason

Take the MIG class. It's a much more versitile process. With practice you will be able to weld any thickness metal. Before you start welding frames, build your self some shop items like sawhorses, welding table, vise stand etc. This will give you some practice and some usefull additions to shop. it's more fun than just running beads on scrap.

Ron

Youngster said:
Take the MIG class. It's a much more versitile process. With practice you will be able to weld any thickness metal. Before you start welding frames, build your self some shop items like sawhorses, welding table, vise stand etc. This will give you some practice and some usefull additions to shop. it's more fun than just running beads on scrap.

Ron
Ron put it very well. Mig is your best bet to start. As a Sheetmetal Fabricator, I weld anything from 20ga. sheets to 3/8 plate at work. It is all done with a MIG, then as LumenAl said learn TIG. With all the technology available there is really no use for Arc Welding in our hobby. There are still some people who do it, but MIG is so much cleaner, and machines are coming down in price.

Mig then Tig. I have a Mig and a Tig. The tig can be used to arc weld with, but I have nver bought the lead for it, just don't need to. I use the mig for just about everything except aluminum.

MIG - Much more versatile for a home shop.

I use TIG about 85-90% of the time. I like the control and I'm comfortable with it. It's slower though.

About the only thing I use stick for is in really tight locations, but those are rare.

Getting the refresher course is a good idea.

Any of the three processes can be used to build a frame. The most important thing is to be 100% confident in your ability. You have to KNOW that your laying down a good strong bead. Just because a bead looks good, doesn't mean it will hold up. Good penetration into the base metal and proper heat range is much more important.

Good luck!

Mike

Wow! Quick responses...thanks guys! I'm new to the whole forum thing and I can't get over how cool this forum is...Thanks guys...Jason

I use my arc welder for the heaver welding and my mig for the sheet metal.

depends on which machine you are going to use , if you are going to use mig take that if GMAW stick take that one , i took the night class through our local college an they taught all 3 mig arc tig , i have an arc welder and a small mig probably will never tig , i liked the class was fun :cool:

Great video B.C. I agree that it is great to get kids involved with something creative etc. My dad taught me the passion and "experience" of classic cars / hot rods which kept me out of a bunch of trouble. I was usually in a garage or shop somewhere working on a car or at car shows. I am teaching my son the same passion so he can appreciate the classics. He has not grasp the mechanics of an internal combustion engine yet as he will be one year old next week. However, he has the engine noise down pretty good...lol. On the same note, my wife has leaned a good bit about cars too. Thanks for the informative video.

do you have to have the classes for anything rather than your hobby?

i dont think i would take a class to learn to weld, if you have a mig welder, you can weld.. most welders come with all you voltage settings and wire speeds on the inside cover,that will get you close, the rest is just practice and learning the speeds you move with the settings, basicly just hand-eye coordiantion, and you can do that at home... the only way i would pay for a class is if they offer to send your welds off for certification..

and with the internet i'm sure you can find info/pictures on proper and improper welds ..

I think i would spend that time and money on something else..

to add,
if you dont have a mig welder already, put that money you were going to use for the class towards a mig welder.. get a 140amp or better welder and get one that runs off 220volts.. i had a hobart 180amp i gave alittle over $600 for and it was pretty good. get 2 spools of wire, go .024 diameter wire, and .035 dia wire.. i use the .035 for chassis welding and .024 for body.

i have heard that miller has a new 140amp mig that runs off 110volts thats doing very well.. these new migs out now that have the digital controls are awesome, they can almost weld as fine as tigs..

my current welders are a miller 251a and a thermal arc 185 tig

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back