Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What Camshaft?

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Trying to decide on a cam that would be good for my T-bucket.

350 engine 30 over, stock crank, stock heads, Edelbrock - 2701 intake. Holly 600 carb
TH400 trans, 2.88 gears in the rear.

I want something that gives me smooth idle.
Was wondering what rpm range would be good?
Since I'm keeping the 2.88 gears should I go with something with more tourqe or something more mid-range?
What some good cam specs to look for?

Thank you.

Since I'm keeping the 2.88 gears should I go with something with more tourqe or something more mid-range?
Answered your own question....262 or a good RV cam. Summit has a couple with lifters for under a hundred and a half. Elgin and a few others grind a old stock hy perf Chevy cam with those same dimensions.

I wasn't sure if I should keep all my power at a low rpm range like 600-4600 to help turn the 2.88 gear when going around town.
Or not worry about that and have more power starting higher rpms 1000-5600.

But, After figuring out what speed I'd be doing on the hwy at 2600 rpms with my setup. I think the 600-4600 will be best.
Comp cam 12-230-2 or 12-231-2.

Don't think I'm going to be doing near 4600 rpms.

I'll call them tomorrow and ask. I'll call summit to.

Be sure to tell Comp what your final drive ratio is. I have the XE262 in a 383 that's in my 46 coupe. When I first put the engine in, I was running 2.75 gears. They had worked well with the bone stock 350 I had put in originally. The car felt sluggish with the bigger engine. I changed to 3.25's and it made a huge difference in how the car felt. The fuel mileage stayed the same with both gearsets. That tells me that the 383 wasn't in the cam's efficient cruising RPM range with the 2.75's.

If I'm not mistaken, the XE262 has 218* duration at .050. I don't think the engine is going to like the 2.88 gears with that cam. If you have to keep the 2.88's and want a smooth idle, I think you would be better off with a stock cam.

Mike

Phone calls made. Looks like this is the best cam for me.

S.B. Chevy High Energy Series Camshaft # 12-205-2.
HYDRAULIC: Strong torque, excellent mileage for 327-400 c.i., has smooth idle, likes high axle ratios.

RPM range is 800-4600

Well , for those of us who are on the far side of the generation gap , a T is a hot rod , a hot rod needs an engine that has a nasty idle , pounds the ground , won't idle under 1000 rpm , has at least a 3.50-4.00 gear & is scary fast , otherwise it's just a car that looks like a hot rod ! But that's just one old guy's opinion !!:D dave Oh yeah , & if it doesn't have 3 pedals , it ain't a hotrod !!

LOL, I like that too. But I want to be able to cruise out of town. Not much here to do. Don't want to be out of gas before I hit the hwy.
Maybe next winter I can change things up a bit.

We drive ours about 3500 miles a a year [it gets cold in northern. il. ] & most of those are road miles , average trip is 100 miles . 11 gal. tank so we stop about every 150 miles usually. engine is a 388 stroker sbc w/10.4 compression, 232-234 @ .050 .490 lift cam , Brodix IK 200 alum heads, 2x4 tunnel ram w/ 3.55 gears , cruises @ 2500 rpm , gets 16+ m.p.g. Goes like "stink"!!!
dave

Well , for those of us who are on the far side of the generation gap , a T is a hot rod , a hot rod needs an engine that has a nasty idle , pounds the ground , won't idle under 1000 rpm , has at least a 3.50-4.00 gear & is scary fast , otherwise it's just a car that looks like a hot rod ! But that's just one old guy's opinion !!:D dave Oh yeah , & if it doesn't have 3 pedals , it ain't a hotrod !!
Yep, when I first started out, I said I didn't want just a frame with a driveline in it and a plastic body on top.
Now, after 35+ years in Racing, I can't imagine not....:thumbsup:

if it doesn't have 3 pedals , it ain't a hotrod !!

So this aint a hot rod then?

lastyel5.jpg

????

Dave
Knew I would never make the grade. o_O

Apologies for the hijack, could nt resist

Almost. Only happens when someone calls it a 'KIT CAR'

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back