Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What do I have?

Muscle Inkk

Came in contact with a guy selling off a good handful of parts... He got them when his father passed but didn't know much about anything and I know less.

Any information would be amazing and super helpful when I start buying parts..... I need everything lol

The #8 body came with the frame (unknown if it's handmade) it's around 45" wide on the back side where it sits on the frame and has 2 doors. Screenshot_2023-09-22-13-10-34-95_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg The other body is closer to 25" in the same spot, has a working door on the passenger side only and is bead rolled where a driver door would be.
Screenshot_2023-09-22-13-09-27-23_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Thanks in advance!!
Screenshot_2023-09-22-13-07-36-77_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Thank you!

I'm just starting this adventure and really don't know a ton... does that appear to be an original or an early replica?
Looks original. Early Ts had a passenger door only with a decorative reveal on the driver side.

Looks original. Early Ts had a passenger door only with a decorative reveal on the driver side.

The #8 body had 2 working doors.... The other "skinny" body is the one with one door.

I was going to ask later why it only has one door and why the passenger side. I thought it was a kit and he made one door and didn't get to the other one lol.

The passenger's door opened on the sidewalk.The driver's door would've opened on the street ( unsafe to get out of ). I believe this was an early safety feature. J.M.H.O.

I might add that stock T's are notoriously hard to get in and out of because of the location of the steering wheel. My coupe in stock form was a bear to get in the drivers side because of the steering wheel and small doors. Ford tried to remedy that by offering the "FatMan" Steering wheel where the wheel could be unhooked from the hub and swung up towards the windshield to allow easier egress in and out.. Don't forget they also had the Ebrake lever right in the door area and that impeded ingress and egress. significantly. Of course, the people in those years were notoriously smaller in stature than people today.

It's obvious they're small but I never realized how small they were until now. I barely fit in the narrow one and it's just an empty bucket.... I don't know how I'm going to fit everything inside plus me.

Jeez, original metal bodies...I'd sell them and get a fiberglass body (long version from CCR). Much more room and easy to work, and CCR will have all the pieces to fit.

Jeez, original metal bodies...I'd sell them and get a fiberglass body (long version from CCR). Much more room and easy to work, and CCR will have all the pieces to fit.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet... For now I'm going to keep moving towards building one of these but the thought of selling has already crossed my mind lol

If you just want a T-bucket to drive and play with, and don't want to spend endless hours trying to re-invent the wheel as a lot of people do, using parts that are made to go together is the easiest way to go, although possibly the most expensive. The sponsors here can help you put together a functioning car in a relatively short period of time, with very little hassle. I prefer CCR but that is not to say that the others won't do a fine job as well. If you are on the fence about selling what you have and starting over, you might check with CCR, Ron Pope, etc. to see what they have to offer and at what cost.

If you just want a T-bucket to drive and play with, and don't want to spend endless hours trying to re-invent the wheel as a lot of people do, using parts that are made to go together is the easiest way to go, although possibly the most expensive. The sponsors here can help you put together a functioning car in a relatively short period of time, with very little hassle. I prefer CCR but that is not to say that the others won't do a fine job as well. If you are on the fence about selling what you have and starting over, you might check with CCR, Ron Pope, etc. to see what they have to offer and at what cost.

I am still on the fence and probably because my brain won't let me understand the extreme uphill battle I have ahead of me lol.

I mentioned it on another post... My goal wasn't to build a T from the ground up, I was looking for something closer to being done (if not done but neglected for years) I fell into everything I currently have. Before I make the final decision to sell (if that's what I do) I'm going to try to understand what I actually have.

I do appreciate all help in knowledge.

409T's advice is wise. But . . . the parts you have are valuable to someone, and I would think in terms of selling pieces individually, maybe on ebay. Could help offset some of the costs of your build. (PS - I support your decision to learn what you have exactly as part of educating yourself re: these little cars!)

Keep in mind that just because several vendors sell the same or similar parts, that in no way means they will interchange. Best to stick with one vendor unless you are ready and capable of modifying them. I took on a old version that was built in the late ‘70’s and began updating, changing it to suit my vision and it’s been a lot more work than I initially intended. I personally have always built things more of a one off, or my version, if you will, so it’s okay. I wanted to use old period parts to give credence to that era but upgrade the controls, brakes, etc to make it more comfortable and controllable. Just be aware to avoid disappointment. I completely understand about the space limitations. I have went to extreme measures to gain fractions in my build. If I were to do it again, I’m not sure I would go the same route. I will finish it due to the investment of time but it will never be truly comfortable for a 6’, 220# person. It would be unique to do a stretch on a steel tub, imho, but I would be hesitant to modify an original.

409T's advice is wise. But . . . the parts you have are valuable to someone, and I would think in terms of selling pieces individually, maybe on ebay. Could help offset some of the costs of your build. (PS - I support your decision to learn what you have exactly as part of educating yourself re: these little cars!)

That thought crossed my mind... I'd come here first if I'm selling, in the short time I've been here I've had nothing but great interactions. If no one here needs them id just look for guidance on proper pricing.

Keep in mind that just because several vendors sell the same or similar parts, that in no way means they will interchange. Best to stick with one vendor unless you are ready and capable of modifying them. I took on a old version that was built in the late ‘70’s and began updating, changing it to suit my vision and it’s been a lot more work than I initially intended. I personally have always built things more of a one off, or my version, if you will, so it’s okay. I wanted to use old period parts to give credence to that era but upgrade the controls, brakes, etc to make it more comfortable and controllable. Just be aware to avoid disappointment. I completely understand about the space limitations. I have went to extreme measures to gain fractions in my build. If I were to do it again, I’m not sure I would go the same route. I will finish it due to the investment of time but it will never be truly comfortable for a 6’, 220# person. It would be unique to do a stretch on a steel tub, imho, but I would be hesitant to modify an original.

I would have assumed the parts would just all fit together, I'm glad you said that... Truly valuable information!

If I go through with building I'm not stretching a body or anything.... I'm gonna deal with whatever space and seating position I get haha

I've been watching your thread and for a first time build you would be miles ahead purchasing 409T's car and selling what you have. If this your first time trying to build a hot rod, then there are many "head scratching" days ahead. Mix in lots of frustration and you can see why So Many Projects Never Get Finished. You will still have lots of challenges even with his car. There is electrical wiring the car, building an engine even if just stock .....etc, etc!!!

You don't say where you live other than USA, but somebody with a trailer might be willing to help if they lived somewhere reasonably close. Many of us are retired, so we work for expenses and the thrill of helping. Now it's perfectly understandable if you don't have that kind of cash laying around. Just think outside the box, those tires and wheels are worth way more than a set of smaller steel wheels and tires. There should be a $1000 difference if you sold them and bought something cheaper to get you on the road. These cars are never finish, you will have something to upgrade later. I've had mine since 1979 and it's still going thru changes.

On your present path you are looking at probably 3-5 years to completion or longer .... ask Spanky how long it took him!!!!!

If I wasn’t so invested in my car I would really look at 409’s car. That is easily half price to build. I want the tires if you don’t want them! Lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back