Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is everybody doing?

Linux Mint. Seriously, it looks and feels like XP but runs as fast as anything, no viruses, and everything is free. Yes, there is a learning curve, but it isn't that steep and at some point you had to learn Windows as well. When I first started with Linux I put it on my computer along with XP. I would use XP for everything, and maybe once a week mess with Linux for a half hour or so. I might try to type a letter, check email or play with a spreadsheet. Gradually I became as familiar with Linux as I was with XP and I just started using Linux in place of Windows. Having both still on the computer was a bit of a mental cushion, but after about a year of never using it I just took Windows off completely. On my wife's computer I simply took off Windows and replaced it with Mint and let her sink or swim. She asked a lot of questions, but really had no problem with the change. I apologize for hijacking this thread.
I understand that the software is free to download and they have office like programs as well, but is there a safer place than others to get it? I’ve got some nasty viruses and garbage in the process of downloading freeware in the past, different brand, but it made me gun shy, so to speak.

Turns out I was wrong; pulled the engine, replaced a head gasket and a freeze plug, and all looks good. Drove around the block . . . no leaks! :D:p:thumbsup:
Whew! Lucky you... I have a big diesel White tractor that has a freeze plug leaking but it requires splitting the engine from the trans to fix... not an easy fix on a big heavy tractor... glad yours went smooth. I’ve watched several over anxious bikers go past the house. It’s partly cloudy and 49 degrees. It’s been rainy and nasty for about 12 days, but it’s not warm enough for me yet. I just got over pneumonia about a month ago and my friend just got out of the hospital for it. I’m not taking a chance.

I understand that the software is free to download and they have office like programs as well, but is there a safer place than others to get it? I’ve got some nasty viruses and garbage in the process of downloading freeware in the past, different brand, but it made me gun shy, so to speak.
Linux Mint comes with an office suite just like Microsoft Office. If you can use one you can easily use the other. There are also many more programs that come with Linux Mint, and thousands more that are available to install right inside Mint. You don't have to go searching around the web, all the downloadable software is listed within Mint, and it is all free. If you can find a program for Windows there is a similar one for Linux. Again, free, but it is not what people used to call freeware. Remember that anything big, such as airports, utilities, the US Government, the US Military, large stores such as Sears, Amazon, and thousands of other large entities all run on Linux, not Microsoft products. Even the entire internet runs on linux.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back