Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is it?

Rick has a bolt on shock setup that i think rpm was looking at selling might work well for you

Back then shocks were an item that was left to the owner, even though they were an option, I mount them a bit different now days, a duel bracket that mounts the headlight bar and the shocks, I never use friction shocks, seems to keep the car sitting at different angles all the time, tested them for a short while... If the chassis is not riding smooth, there is another problem somewhere else, like tires and rims being out of round or balance, tire truing is a great idea for a real smooth ride, and a MUST for rear tires on a hot engine Ride, keeps the car going straight... Ride safe :)

Noob, take a look at this CCR T bucket on ebay Item number: 130318168749. It has a picture of front shock mounts.
Ron A.

looks good. I think I'm leaning more to the friction shocks. But I sure do like that car.

Take my word for it you'll hate friction shocks!!!Get ahold of Ron at RPM Motorsports he has a conversion kit that will work great for your car.Trust me and a 1/2 duzen(hehe)guys here STAY AWAY FROM FRICTION SHOCKS.

Rick said:
Take my word for it you'll hate friction shocks!!!Get ahold of Ron at RPM Motorsports he has a conversion kit that will work great for your car.Trust me and a 1/2 duzen(hehe)guys here STAY AWAY FROM FRICTION SHOCKS.

I just don't know enough. Why are friction shocks a no no? I've had folks tell me both ways, friction ok and friction bad. what are the pros and cons of each?

My Sons T bucket has friction shocks on the front and at some point we are going to engineer some hydraulics on it. IMO friction shocks are very inferior to good hydraulic ones. Plus you have to keep tightening them up to get any good at all out of them.

Don

I agree with what Don says about friction shocks. However, I am more than willing to put up with the slight inconvenience in order to have a cleaner, slicker appearance. Everything on these cars is a trade off when it comes to ride and handling over appearance. Take our choice of front ends. An independent is far superior to the beam or tube axles that we use but the independent type is rather bulky and cumbersome looking in comparison. Therefore we, for the most part, we choose to go with the older, cleaner, basic look of the beam or tube axle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, build what you like as long as you build it SAFE.

Jim

I have 2 go with X-Junk on both thoughts. 1) Beauty is in the eye of the builder. 2) Lean and clean can sure look mean! sometimes less is gooder.

If you go Friction get with X-Junk on how to put it together with rubber and washers added. That's how I put mine together but haven't been down the road yet.

One pic that caught my eye was the dash board. I just got mine Saturday an it looks just like yours with no insert. Anyone know where that insert came from? I haven't had a chance to look and didn't really think about it till I seen these pic's. :cool:

If you are referring to the machine turning that is behind the gauges, that can be purchased from Speedway.

Jim

my personal opinion is friction shocks is not much better than NO shocks. If you really want friction shocks I would adapt the old knee action shocks like were on old english cars. I think friction shocks are just plain crap and are useless. A piece of rubber and some talcum powder, give me a friggin break.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me, they work just fine and I use no talcum powder.

Jim

has anyone seen an article on the mechanics of friction shocks? I agree it's all a trade off, but I want to feel safe and confident when I stab the loud pedal. Right now I'm a long way from there. I'm working on it though, and I'll get there. You guys just keep your wisdom and opinions coming!

EX JUNK said:
I agree with what Don says about friction shocks. However, I am more than willing to put up with the slight inconvenience in order to have a cleaner, slicker appearance. Everything on these cars is a trade off when it comes to ride and handling over appearance. Take our choice of front ends. An independent is far superior to the beam or tube axles that we use but the independent type is rather bulky and cumbersome looking in comparison. Therefore we, for the most part, we choose to go with the older, cleaner, basic look of the beam or tube axle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, build what you like as long as you build it SAFE.

Jim
Now that is a matter of opinion, a straight axle will out corner an IFS/IRS anyday or night, BUT the IRS will/can ride softer, all depends on spring and leverage used... Like we say, gotta have the right LOOK!!! :)

Ted, I don't mean to be argumentative, but if a straight axle will out corner and independent front end why are they not used in race cars of today? There must be some advantage in the handling department because ride quality is not really worried about in a race car as far as I know.

Jim

Noob said:
I just don't know enough. Why are friction shocks a no no? I've had folks tell me both ways, friction ok and friction bad. what are the pros and cons of each?

Depends on your priorities. Friction shocks generally look cleaner, but don't function as well as hydraulic shocks because fluid damping is simply a more efficient way to control spring oscillation.

Bob

Friction shocks do work, but have to be checked every couple hundred miles to maintain the right torque. Are they better than hydraulic shocks, the answer is no. Hydraulic shocks maintain the same damping rate all the the time and friction shocks need to be adjusted often. The look is why I have friction shocks - will I ever change over - probably some day but NTD ( not today ).

EX JUNK said:
Ted, I don't mean to be argumentative, but if a straight axle will out corner and independent front end why are they not used in race cars of today? There must be some advantage in the handling department because ride quality is not really worried about in a race car as far as I know.

Jim
Why do they use them today?? they are light weight and they are set up to only give a max of 1/2" of travel on a race car... (off road is a different story) and weight is everything in a new race car... A good sprint car is very hard to beat, straight at both ends, this seems to keep the tires flat on the ground, more traction and control that way, a normal IRS or IFS has two tires out of control in most any corner, just watch any car getting on a freeway ramp... Ride safe :)

Ted Brown said:
Why do they use them today?? they are light weight and they are set up to only give a max of 1/2" of travel on a race car :)

1/2" of suspension travel on a race car?? As in .500"? Surely that's a typo?

Bob

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back