Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is the difference?

Swampdog

What are the pro/cons of a 4 bar (4 link) front axle set up verses the hair pin radius rod set up?

Hang with me I new to the terms.

Same with the spring being suspended in front of the cross member or behind it?

To jack up the front of the car is it OK to put the jack in the middle of the axle?

Thanks

D L

A 4-bar system has a lot more independent movement, as each will move up or down without pulling the other side with it. A spring behind will give your car a lower stance,a spring over because the spring is on top of the axle will make the front end taller. If i put my jack under the axle I put a 2x4 on top of the jack to spread the load over a longer distance.

Don't forget that a 4 BAR is different from a 4 LINK, Google it and you'll see.

Jim

Yes, overall a 4-bar (front) is a better design than hair pins, but guys like hair pins because of the nostalgia or authenticity if they are building a retro styled car. If I wasn't concerned about having an old school look, I would certainly go with 4-bar.

With the limited travel of our front axles, I can't imagine you'd tell any difference between 4-bars, hairpins or even split wishbones. Theoretically the 4-bars would hold the caster constant, where the hairpins or split wishbone would cause it to change a tiny bit with vertical axle travel, but at anything below the speed of sound this wouldn't be noticeable. And if you're driving your bucket over the speed of sound you likely have more pressing issues.:eek:

With the limited travel of our front axles, I can't imagine you'd tell any difference between 4-bars, hairpins or even split wishbones. Theoretically the 4-bars would hold the caster constant, where the hairpins or split wishbone would cause it to change a tiny bit with vertical axle travel, but at anything below the speed of sound this wouldn't be noticeable. And if you're driving your bucket over the speed of sound you likely have more pressing issues.:eek:
I agree. It probably doesn't make much difference for a street driven car.

I tried both and liked the 4 bar better, looks wise and no binding. Even a little bind is to much for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back