Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is your MPG?

MPG? WTF's that? It gets empty, fill 'er back up.

Thats what I say. Its a hot rod. You want gas mileage get a diesel Rabbit. Mine is 350 Chevy, 6-71 blower, 2 650 HP Holleys, TH400 trans , full manual, 3300 stall, 4,30 gears, and 10 gallon gas tank. I can get about 8 mpg if I am careful on the highway. But usually on a Sat night cruise I get about 3-5 mpg.

Our blown bucket is very close to this.

We had a tub a few years back that would get 22-23 mpg. It had a 383 stroker with a mild cam and 750 Demon carb. The good gas mileage came from the 700R4 trans. It had a 2300 stall converter that would lock above 45 mph. So if you went on a cruise and kept the converter locked it did great.

I could never get my 409 to do any better than 8.5 MPG. The gas tank had its vent in the front, and because the car sits on a slight rake, when the tank was full a little bit of gas would leak out the vent. I finally got tired of this and plugged the vent hole, welded a new bung in the back (uphill side) of the tank and moved the vent there. No other changes, now I get 11 MPG. I would probably do even better without the 3.89 rear end gears, but we rarely drive on the freeway so I'm keeping them.

Jeff

383 STROKER,3.55 GEAR,28" TALL TIRES ,2-450 HOLLEY'S ,TUNNEL-RAM,PROGRESIVE LINKAGE,M-21 MUNCIE, MALLORY UNILITE,NO VACCUUM ADV. 16-16.5 MPG ON THE ROAD DEPENDS ON MY FOOT DAVE

I had a 350 SBC, turbo 400, 3:08 gear, 2 500 c.f.m. Edelbrock carbs with 1/8" drill through the jets (trying to keep the headers from blueing) with no progressive linkage. The blower was setup by "Sneaky" Pete Robinson to have .010" rotor clearance and driven 20% OVER crank speed and I got over 15 m.p.g. It was real fast and the long wheelbase made it launch straight as a string! MAN I miss that car!

The old 355, may it rest in peace, got 22~23mpg at freeway speed. Do not know what the new 383 will get. 4 speed M20 and 3.54 gears 31" MT's, 1790 lbs. 79 mph @ 3000 rpms.

The biggest reason I can see for any concern of fuel mileage is to be able to make it to car shows. When you can only carry 10 gallons 4 mpg is not going to make it very far, like barely across town. :jawdrop:

The biggest reason I can see for any concern of fuel mileage is to be able to make it to car shows. When you can only carry 10 gallons 4 mpg is not going to make it very far, like barely across town. :jawdrop:

That sound like a recipe for putting on weight. Need to fill up again... OOOOh look a Diner. Sorry guys dont know how you spell Dinner, Diner. Diener, Dyner
Gerry

Because my fuel tank sender was designed to be in a sumped tank, it doesn't read the last couple of gallons, so on a trip I get cold feet and stop for fill ups every 315 miles or so.

I'm getting 22-23 MPG. High teens if I'm pulling the cargo trailer. That is IF I keep my right foot under control.

350 Vortec block and rotating assembly, Ramjet 350 roller cam, ported 461 camel hump heads, MSD vacuum advance and Rochester 3 X 2 on an Edelbrock manifold. 700R4 with lockup 2400 stall converter and 3.42 gears turning 29 inch rear tires.

Actually, I think it could use a little more rear gear. Based on the vacuum readings, it is probably lugging a little at or under 60 MPH. It gets about the same MPG's on the interstate at 70 as it does on the back roads at 50. I think it could use 4.11's with the overdrive.

I find that I need to get out and stretch my legs at around 150 miles, so I guess a really big tank wouldn't do me a lot of good. My current tank has about 10 gallons of useable gas and I usually fill up whenever I stop for a break.

Mike

383 STROKER,3.55 GEAR,28" TALL TIRES ,2-450 HOLLEY'S ,TUNNEL-RAM,PROGRESIVE LINKAGE,M-21 MUNCIE, MALLORY UNILITE,NO VACCUUM ADV. 16-16.5 MPG ON THE ROAD DEPENDS ON MY FOOT DAVE
Hi Dave,

I don't think we have chatted before. I used to have an old vintage Mallory with no vacuum advance. I changed over to vacuum advance along with some other changes and went from 12 mpg to 23 mpg. I believe the vacuum advance had the greatest effect but made 4 other changes at the same time.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back